Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trout Stocking Reports  (Read 1857 times)

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Trout Stocking Reports
« on: December 08, 2010, 12:15:43 PM »

I have often looked at the stocking reports advertised on this site and thought that the list seems very short as it shows primarily catchable fish put into small suburban lakes.   That seemed to me not nearly enough.   It has finally dawned on me that this is not the complete list of stocking but only the catchable fish.    After some digging around on the web I found the complete stocking information at http://www.gofishbc.com/stockingreports/default.htm

It is probable others have made this same mistake and perhaps the information on catchable stocking should also feature a more visible link to the complete stocking data.  Rodney?

Having found the complete list it seems to me that the total stocking is very minimal.   Hardly any adipose clipped cutties into rivers for example.  I guess more money is needed.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 09:14:34 PM by VAGAbond »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Trout Stocking Reports
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 12:24:18 PM »

Are you trying to make me do more work? ;)

The stocking database indeed only lists "catchable" rainbow trout stockings in lakes across BC, which are Fraser Valley rainbow trout released at 300g. This is an agreement between my website and Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC, to provide instant updates for entry-level anglers who want to access lakes that have relatively easy fishing. Because the anadromous cutthroat trout release in rivers, steelhead smolt release in rivers, rainbow trout yearling releases in Interior lakes etc are done when the fish are still at their juvenile stage (50 to 100g), we've chosen not to list those as these fish are not ready for targeting until one or two years later. That being said, I think we can always make some changes. I think a page with some links to fish inventory for those who are interested in what else is stocked would be useful so that maybe developed in the near future.

I have a few more items to mention regarding anadromous cutthroat trout stockings but don't have time right now so may come back to this thread a bit later to respond.