Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buying new waders...  (Read 5768 times)

Danube Boy

Re: Buying new waders...
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 05:56:31 PM »

as the old saying goes, if you take care of them they will last forever

True, but in order for something to last a long time it's got to be made right in the first place, and some waders out there have design flaws which are bound to cause you problems sooner rather than later.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 06:22:32 PM »

-- I have Dan Baileys front zipper type not sure model name.. I think with all these waders they have good and bad batches... this one is supposed to be a good one.. this does not mean that the same model 3 months from now will be as good as may be made by different factory or some other cause.

--Have a pare of Seatux neoprene.. 15 yrs young and except that I don't need a belt on them any  more to be water tight they're still working

Nuggy

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 07:01:54 PM »

I'm not out there fishing to win a fashion show so i will stick with a cost effective method that suits me just fine. It's like all those "hardcore hikers" where arctery'x and other expensive bs, clearly because your gear is expensive you must be elite at everything you do.

as the old saying goes, if you take care of them they will last forever

Clearly you have never invested in good clothing  ::)  Good clothing usually = high quality materials, very comfortable and excellent warranty. When I am doing outdoor activity I do not want equipment malfunction or clothing malfunction and if I do I know the manufacturer will back up that product. Try taking your Army and Navy jacket back two years later with out a receipt  when the zippers fail or a seam rips and see where cheap gets you ;D

I love these threads where people immediately assume because a person is wearing or using gear from such and such label brand they are snobs or elitist. I wear and use high quality items but that doesn`t mean I spent a fortune on it. I buy used items, sale items, discontinued items, factory outlet sale items etc. I have used cheap clothing, cheap boots, tents ect in the past and I refuse to go cheap anymore as the failure and satisfaction rate with cheap crap is not worth it.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 08:25:39 PM »

okay well point me in the direction of the cheapest arc'teryx jacket and then point me in the direction of a similar type jacket from a lesser brand, and say it does fall apart after 2 years no big deal because it was way cheaper and gave me the same result, of course the more expensive stuff is better quality but does it really matter? Do I need a jacket to last me 20 years? isn't the technology of anti sweat protection going to change!?!??! won't i have to get the latest technologically designed jacket? I stick with the lesser brands cause they still keep me warm and dry.
heck, i prefer wool, it's simple, it's proven, its relatively inexpensive.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 10:16:30 PM »

I'm not out there fishing to win a fashion show so i will stick with a cost effective method that suits me just fine. It's like all those "hardcore hikers" where arctery'x and other expensive bs, clearly because your gear is expensive you must be elite at everything you do.

as the old saying goes, if you take care of them they will last forever you get what you pay for

Fixed it for you.  Good gear lets you fish all day in comfort.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 10:26:53 PM »

You are so right, i can't recall how many days i've had cut short or had friends days cut short cause they had lower end gear, oh wait, that's right, never. I'm afraid to even go fishing now cause my waders are just going to fall apart at the seams. I am finding what I bought to be the most comfortable i've ever had (and yes i have had simms products), obviously if you purchase some cheapo wal-mart special with the built in rubber boot its probably going to give blisters.

Anyways, I was just offering up an option to the original poster - basically, the waders are on sale, for a cheap price. Maybe they are crap maybe they are higher end maybe its a crapshoot. Chances are though, they are defiantly better than the waders that sell for around 100 dollars at full price. The higher end stuff is nicer for sure, but is it really worth it? I doubt it, but if it's on sale I would defiantly be more inclined to purchase it. Spending 200 bones on waders should be more than sufficient in my opinion, in fact the more "details" you get with higher end ones create more potential leak points with more seams and more sewing required.

Nitroholic

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 10:07:21 AM »

okay well point me in the direction of the cheapest arc'teryx jacket and then point me in the direction of a similar type jacket from a lesser brand, and say it does fall apart after 2 years no big deal because it was way cheaper and gave me the same result, of course the more expensive stuff is better quality but does it really matter? Do I need a jacket to last me 20 years? isn't the technology of anti sweat protection going to change!?!??! won't i have to get the latest technologically designed jacket? I stick with the lesser brands cause they still keep me warm and dry.
heck, i prefer wool, it's simple, it's proven, its relatively inexpensive.

Arc'teryx factory outlet store in north van

kindalonismo

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 12:45:02 PM »

Guys, thanks so much for the great info!

The internet route sounds really appealling, especially with the strength of our dollar right now. I have to head to Seattle for work tomorrow, I may have to check out a couple of shops and look for a Black Friday deal

Thanks again! I really appreciate all the great feedback from this site :)