Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prosperity Mine Is A No Go  (Read 3406 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Prosperity Mine Is A No Go
« on: November 03, 2010, 06:44:11 AM »

November 2, 2010 - Williams Lake, BC: The Tsilhqot’in National Government and its’ community members are rejoicing in today’s decision by Federal Environment Minister Jim Prentice against issuing permits for the proposed Prosperity mine in central BC. This ruling will serve as a catalyst for reform and a new relationship between governments, the mining industry and First Nations.

“The federal government has honoured its Constitutional duty to protect First Nations rights and its responsibility to protect the environment. The government should be commended for recognizing that this project did not represent the best way to create jobs and economic growth,” said TNG Tribal Chief Joe Alphonse.

“The Tsilhqot’in Nation understands the need for jobs in the region and believes it can work with municipalities and others to build on the environmentally friendly economic activities that are sustained by Teztan Biny (Fish Lake) and its environs and already contribute so much to the area.”

Xeni Gwet’in Chief Baptiste said: “Perhaps there are other projects that can be considered. As we have always stated, we are not against resource development of any kind, just extraction at any price that leads to the destruction of our ecosystem for our future generations,” “However, we hope today’s decision will demonstrate the need to find a way forward for industry and governments to work with First Nations from the outset to identify and develop projects that are environmentally and culturally acceptable and sustainable.”

The fact that a company would spend so many years and so much money to develop and promote this Prosperity project, despite the clear and legitimate First Nations along with DFO’s objections, demonstrates the need to reform BC’s free-entry, on-line staking system,” said Chief Baptiste. “This proposal could not have been more guaranteed to alienate First Nations.”

Chief Percy Guichon said “it in no one’s interest to continue with a system that encourages the development of proposals that should never be pursued, instead of focussing on projects that have reasonable prospects. Companies waste exploration and development dollars, government waste tax dollars and First Nations are forced to use up scarce financial resources to defend against bad or unfair proposals.”

“One of the main reasons there has been no major new metals mine open in BC since the mid 1990s can in large part be attributed to a system that allows anyone with a computer and a few dollars to access anywhere it wants on First Nations unceded lands and develop whatever proposal they want – no matter how environmentally unviable, and not matter how unacceptable to our people,” said Chief Joe Alphonse.

Chief Joe Alphonse added: “Another reason is a provincial environmental review system that does not allow our people to fully participate and does not address the issues that we as first nations need to address. However, there are examples of companies working with other First Nations to address these concerns and to develop projects and agreements that can stand the test of time.”

“Those agreements are positive examples that can be built upon. The federal government decision today will inspire efforts to reform the system in BC to the benefit of all.”

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Prosperity Mine Is A No Go
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 06:44:59 AM »

RAFE here ... what fantastic news! Please pass this on!!

Sent on behalf of the Tsilhqot’in National Government:

For Immediate Release

First Nations Rejoice in Federal Rejection of Taseko
Mines Proposed Prosperity Mine

November 2, 2010 - Williams Lake, BC: The Tsilhqot’in National Government and its’ community members are rejoicing in today’s decision by Federal Environment Minister Jim Prentice against issuing permits for the proposed Prosperity mine in central BC. This ruling will serve as a catalyst for reform and a new relationship between governments, the mining industry and First Nations.

“The federal government has honoured its Constitutional duty to protect First Nations rights and its responsibility to protect the environment. The government should be commended for recognizing that this project did not represent the best way to create jobs and economic growth,” said TNG Tribal Chief Joe Alphonse.

“The Tsilhqot’in Nation understands the need for jobs in the region and believes it can work with municipalities and others to build on the environmentally friendly economic activities that are sustained by Teztan Biny (Fish Lake) and its environs and already contribute so much to the area.”

Xeni Gwet’in Chief Baptiste said: “Perhaps there are other projects that can be considered. As we have always stated, we are not against resource development of any kind, just extraction at any price that leads to the destruction of our ecosystem for our future generations,” “However, we hope today’s decision will demonstrate the need to find a way forward for industry and governments to work with First Nations from the outset to identify and develop projects that are environmentally and culturally acceptable and sustainable.”

The fact that a company would spend so many years and so much money to develop and promote this Prosperity project, despite the clear and legitimate First Nations along with DFO’s objections, demonstrates the need to reform BC’s free-entry, on-line staking system,” said Chief Baptiste. “This proposal could not have been more guaranteed to alienate First Nations.”

Chief Percy Guichon said “it in no one’s interest to continue with a system that encourages the development of proposals that should never be pursued, instead of focussing on projects that have reasonable prospects. Companies waste exploration and development dollars, government waste tax dollars and First Nations are forced to use up scarce financial resources to defend against bad or unfair proposals.”

“One of the main reasons there has been no major new metals mine open in BC since the mid 1990s can in large part be attributed to a system that allows anyone with a computer and a few dollars to access anywhere it wants on First Nations unceded lands and develop whatever proposal they want – no matter how environmentally unviable, and not matter how unacceptable to our people,” said Chief Joe Alphonse.

Chief Joe Alphonse added: “Another reason is a provincial environmental review system that does not allow our people to fully participate and does not address the issues that we as first nations need to address. However, there are examples of companies working with other First Nations to address these concerns and to develop projects and agreements that can stand the test of time.”

“Those agreements are positive examples that can be built upon. The federal government decision today will inspire efforts to reform the system in BC to the benefit of all.”

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 08:25:35 AM »

glad to hear this one is a "no-go", made my day :)

Dogbreath

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 06:47:43 PM »

Great News all around!  8)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 05:28:55 PM »

Heard today on the radio some people crying that the mine did not go ahead, loss of a number of jobs and 100 million dollars spend so far by Taseko on planning the mine.

I ask the queston that shouldn't the environment come first. What good is a lot on money made by some if we destroy the environment in the process. We have already ruined too many rivers and streams in the last 100 years here in BC with the loss of prime fish habitat. How many streams in the Vancouver area that at one time had runs of salmon and trout and are now covered over, not acceptable to continue doing this.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 07:15:18 PM »

The mining company had an large type add in the Sun today saying that they haven't given up. Also suggesting that maybe they could mine this in a less destructive way. So why didn't they do that in the first place. I can imagine.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 12:03:57 AM »

Heard today on the radio some people crying that the mine did not go ahead, loss of a number of jobs and 100 million dollars spend so far by Taseko on planning the mine.

--They should have spent more money on an environmental assessment... The company must have felt they were politicians as basically their report said we will do a good enough job to meet our legal obligations as defined by us. They also believed their buddy's in government would rubber stamp the proposal... as the BC government did... maybe a federal majority government would have trumped the recommendations made by federal environment min to not proceed. It didn't really say not to proceed it just indicated that the measured did not meet the main.. not only  test of no net loss. Just lucky I think that the company was so confident that it had political clearance that they did not do an adequate job of the assessment.
--I'm not against mining and would like to see a mine but only if they are able to demonstrate that they can be fully compliant with both the principle and intent of no net loss and not just meet some redefined criteria that some lawyer thinks up.
--I do not like nor trust the legal system with our environment I preferred the administrative penalty system.. no fine just stop work order and company compelled to just fix it or government will get it fixed and send them the bill.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 07:41:14 AM »

Anyone remember Walt Cobb(former Lib MLA)?
“Our whole community will be devastated, including our many unemployed people and the business community,” he stated. “I know businesses that are hanging on by the skin of their teeth.

“The most frustrating part is that the provincial government stated environmental concerns, but gave a door of opportunity to change them. The federal government has lost touch with the working people of BC,” he continued.

“Our Prime Minister is waltzing around the country giving away our hard-earned dollars to third world countries. Who is going to help us when we become one?”
http://