Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fillet knifes  (Read 21719 times)

NiceFish

• Old Timer
fillet knifes
« on: October 31, 2010, 05:08:03 PM »

which brand of fillet knife does everyone use for their fish? I've some of the lower end ones that just don't seem to hold an edge very well and require constant sharpening and even then it's still a bit of a struggle to get a nice fillet. Thinking about upgrading into a higher quality knife, so what are you using?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: fillet knifes
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 07:20:38 PM »

I've got a Buck fillet knife that I've had for years. I love it because it keeps an edge real well and has a really good flex to the blade. It has a 6-7" blade and a very comfortable molded soft rubber handle and comes with a leather sheath. I think I paid 35-40 dollars for it 10 or so years ago.

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »

I have a kershaw and a dollar store maku ! my go to fillet knife is the dollar store knife ! just wish it was an inch or 2 longer  :)

Dogbreath

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 09:34:23 PM »

A long Rapala and a thin Frosts but more and more I'm using a large Chef's knife-sometime even my Santoku.

andychan

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 07:38:10 AM »

Love it.

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/002748.php

This is the nicest filleting knife I've ever owned. It does not rust, does not dull easily, is easy to sharpen, and the handle is sanitary, comfortable, and good in cold conditions. Most importantly, the blade is flexible, thin and the shape is just right for filleting. I've used mine for about 7-8 years. It came razor-sharp from the factory and stays sharp for a good deal of time. These days, I usually sharpen it a little bit before every use. Just a couple of laps on a 220 grit Japanese waterstone does the trick. There are plenty of fancy fillet knives you can get, but this one is not particularly expensive and it's the brand I see most commercial fishermen use. There's also a plastic scabbard you can buy. Dexter's filleting knives come in a few varieties of size/length, etc. There's the 9 inch narrow one, for instance, but personally, I find it a bit bulky, so I use an 8" narrow.

http://www.instawares.com/sani-safe-8in-narrow.dex-s1338ws1cp.0.7.htm?LID=NXTG&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=00-1610167-2

mbowers

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 09:59:10 AM »

I prefer to use a stiffer boning knife to remove fillets from bones and then a more flexible fillet knife for removing the skin. 

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 04:14:23 PM »

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 04:19:00 PM by Eagleye »

FishOn36

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 06:00:42 PM »

A long Rapala and a thin Frosts but more and more I'm using a large Chef's knife-sometime even my Santoku.

How are those Frosts Mora fillet knives?

Dogbreath

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 09:32:53 AM »

How are those Frosts Mora fillet knives?
No idea-mine is a 9197

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 12:03:29 PM »

I carry an old spoon handle filet knife on the river to clean my fish...but once home I use my 10" french knife to filet my fish....I rarely use my filet knives to filet anything...too short and flexible. I use my french knife at work to process fish as well. I have a Shun...but thats a professional chefs knife running around $200.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 04:39:18 PM »

what are you some kind of cook?????

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 02:54:51 PM »

exactly what I am

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 04:11:12 PM »

i would have never guessed

by the way thanks for all the input i'm still undecided on what knife to put on the wish list  :-\

Dogbreath

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 11:24:55 PM »

The best knife is one you can easily hold when the handle is wet/slippery from blood/slime & your hands are cramping from cold.

jillfish

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 04:51:33 PM »

A good sharpener is especially important