Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: coho from different system  (Read 10718 times)

frozensalmon

coho from different system
« on: November 30, 2011, 07:51:21 PM »

Hi

just pull up a thread and ask if anyone can share/compare which system's coho taste the best in your opinion/experience (as for eating purpose)

I have tasted the tidal fraser, capilano, and vedder river's coho,  of three I think fraser coho is good too but not quite as cap coho.
capilano's coho taste the best and also the meat quality is really good. when biting the meat, it's just smooth and...don't have a word! maybe it's due to it's close to the saltwater, I don't know why, but I really have tasted the difference between vedder coho and cap coho, honestly I think vedder coho are not even half as good as cap coho (both in silver shape, cook in the same way, both female)

next year I will spend more time in cap not only coz the quality but also I live close there, however, fishing at cap is really challenge
anyway would love to hear some
more coho, more coho... ::)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Re: coho from different system
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 08:51:49 PM »

Maybe due to the crab larvae they eat, or so that's what i have heard. I personally noticed that Capilano coho are also amazing eating compared to other fish.

frozensalmon

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 09:06:07 PM »

Maybe due to the crab larvae they eat, or so that's what i have heard. I personally noticed that Capilano coho are also amazing eating compared to other fish.
wow   so it's not just me then..   thx for the info dude

capman

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 09:27:29 PM »

That's been my experiance as well. therir diet and proximity to the salt water plays the big role IMO.
I also find Blue Backs or the earlier coho taste better than the coho later enters to the Cap.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 09:56:47 PM »

I don't fish the Capilano, but of all the local rivers I have harvested coho from, I find Squamish coho by far the tastiest. And chum, and pink...

adecadelost

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 10:11:24 PM »

You only need to look at the first couple of posts to get your answer.
All of the systems where people are finding the best tasting coho are systems directly attached to the ocean.
Obviously fresher and better tasting fish are going to come from systems where the fish has traveled less time in fresh water and therefore less time starting to change due to the mating process.

RiverRunner

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »

Frozen salmon, is that a bathroom floor coho you got there???? :o

frozensalmon

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 12:23:04 AM »

yah.. the one I got from capilano... I have a fishing report actually

is it not ok to put salmon on the floor or something ?? ???

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 07:08:52 AM »

Fraser coho? Coho in the Fraser are moving through to other streams. Not many hatch coho in the Squamish Milo!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 11:40:09 AM »

Not many hatch coho in the Squamish Milo!

Yeah, I know...10:1 ratio Wild to Hatch.
Still nice when you do get one. :)

bunnta

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 05:10:16 PM »

actually, early season coho in many system...... taste far superior than the ladder runs. I wouldn't say coho diet has anything to do with it since most of them eat the same stuff except when they are almost at their staging point in the salt, i doubt a few hours has an effect on the taste of the meat if u caught it an hour later.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 05:28:25 PM »

I have tasted the tidal fraser, capilano, and vedder river's coho,  of three I think fraser coho is good too but not quite as cap coho.
capilano's coho taste the best and also the meat quality is really good. when biting the meat, it's just smooth and...don't have a word! maybe it's due to it's close to the saltwater, I don't know why, but I really have tasted the difference between vedder coho and cap coho, honestly I think vedder coho are not even half as good as cap coho (both in silver shape, cook in the same way, both female)

I hope you aren't talking about that fish in your avatar. No offense meant as you are new and don't seem to know any better, but the fish in that picture is well past its prime. If it were to find itself at the end of my hook it would certainly be released.

As others have said, its not so much about the system as it is about the condition of the fish. Just because a fish is from the Cap and is only a few km from the ocean doesn't equate to it being a fresh fish. Likewise, there are fish entering the Fraser Valley systems that are only a few days removed from salt water and are still sporting sea lice.

Another important factor is the gender of a fish. Ceteris Paribus, males will taste better than females. That being said, for some odd reason the males I land usually get released while the females get the rock shampoo.

Then again, I don't catch many coho so take it for what its worth.
Actions speak louder than words.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 07:49:49 PM »

is it not ok to put salmon on the floor or something ?? ???

I guess it depends on how often you wash your floors. ;)
Not all those who wander are lost

frozensalmon

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 09:25:12 PM »

I hope you aren't talking about that fish in your avatar. No offense meant as you are new and don't seem to know any better, but the fish in that picture is well past its prime. If it were to find itself at the end of my hook it would certainly be released.

As others have said, its not so much about the system as it is about the condition of the fish. Just because a fish is from the Cap and is only a few km from the ocean doesn't equate to it being a fresh fish. Likewise, there are fish entering the Fraser Valley systems that are only a few days removed from salt water and are still sporting sea lice.

Another important factor is the gender of a fish. Ceteris Paribus, males will taste better than females. That being said, for some odd reason the males I land usually get released while the females get the rock shampoo.

Then again, I don't catch many coho so take it for what its worth.

the coho in my avatar was indeed not very silver but still pretty chrome when i caught it and honestly it was the best coho taste of all my coho caught, which is pretty weird i guess that,s why i started this thread anyway.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 12:07:04 AM »

the coho in my avatar was indeed not very silver but still pretty chrome when i caught it and honestly it was the best coho taste of all my coho caught, which is pretty weird i guess that,s why i started this thread anyway.

I know why it tasted good... it was smoked right?!?! haha  :D :D . I do agree with you cap ho's are the best tasting....i still got one more blue back in the freezer :)