Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Norrish Creek and Nicomen Slough  (Read 28452 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Norrish Creek and Nicomen Slough
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 06:34:42 PM »

You can still grip and rip! ???

True but not as effective

Besides people who are ripping are more obvious and usually someone will say something. When I see someone doing it I will go up and ask him how the snagging is going. Usually they look at me with a stupid face and go away.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 07:26:48 PM »

Awesome dude!I have learned to walk away because because calling DFO does nothing and the grip and rippers are usually never alone.

buncranabop

• Silver Bullet
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »

Yea, I have fished both systems quite a few times to no avail. A total waste of time, dont waste your time on these small unproductive waterways.
The two best times for fishing are (A) when its raining and (B) when its not.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 08:55:21 PM »

Norrish is a small creek.  It has very little flow in the lower ends.  Fish usually stock up under the train bridge area and many people will try to 'rip' that place like mad.  Considering the number of fish in that little hole and the number of fish caught, it's actually not very effective to fish that area.  Further down river or up past the gravel mine area, you'll find good fishing spots and less people.  When going up river, it's advisable to bring a friend or two with you.  It's frequented by bears.

Kanaka, Alouette also have coho in them.  These systems you can only retain 1 coho per day.  So not frequented by people who want their catch numbers.  Cause these two rivers are small fishing rigs need to be light, it provides different kind of fun.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 09:00:10 PM by BwiBwi »

buncranabop

• Silver Bullet
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 09:02:30 PM »

Yea fished kanaka and alouette with friends too and never seen a fish, not worth the bother.
The two best times for fishing are (A) when its raining and (B) when its not.

Morty

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 09:35:51 PM »

Bear spray is always a good item to take along to Norrish.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

bcguy

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 09:40:44 PM »

Fish the Nicomen plenty as I cycle throught the best runs through out the lower mainland, and have not found the Nicomen to be frequented by individuals with somewhat questionable fishing practices & tactics. Usually just spincasters from shore, few guys trying to take them on the fly, and some boats trolling the deeper channels.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

gigahoo

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 01:03:31 AM »

Norrish should be designated a fly fishing stream.   I'm not saying the whole thing, but some sections that particulary suitable for fly fiishing.

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 08:47:50 AM »

Norrish should be designated a fly fishing stream.   I'm not saying the whole thing, but some sections that particulary suitable for fly fiishing.

This would be a dream come true! There should be at least one lower mainland flow with a fly-fish only and or catch and release only designation. 

And just to clarify my earlier point, no I have never seen flossers or rippers in Nicoman Slough.  Lots of both in Norrish though.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 09:18:21 AM »

Why? its a hatchery river? as you have said there are many spots already more suitable to fly fishing or spinner fishing where snaggers are unlikely to find success.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 11:01:58 AM »

This would be a dream come true! There should be at least one lower mainland flow with a fly-fish only and or catch and release only designation.  
And just to clarify my earlier point, no I have never seen flossers or rippers in Nicoman Slough.  Lots of both in Norrish though.
There are a few rivers that do have fly fishing only designation, (at least part of the rivers), year round.
The problem is rivers that have special designations such as fly fishing , bait ban usually have very few fish in them so fly fishers don't go there.
Lower Squamish has to be the best fly fishing river in town. Lots of room and huge shallow flats.
We seem to find many reasons why fishing is getting poorer and poorer on our local streams.
But the number 1 reason remains too many people fishing.
Tackle manufacturers are promoting fishing and a way to educate the people about rivers in hopes that fishermen will become stewards and protectors of those rivers.
But for every 100 licenses they sell, probably only 1 person becomes interested in their environment and problems due to overfishing.
The other 99 are flossers.
I think it'd be better for the environment if they promoted watching American Idol.
Norrish and Nicomen have no water this year.
I hope this is not the new standard.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:08:54 AM by adriaticum »

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 11:04:27 AM »

There are a few rivers that do have fly fishing only designation, (at least part of the rivers), year round.
The problem is rivers that have special designations such as fly fishing , bait ban usually have very few fish in them.
Lower Squamish has to be the best fly fishing river in town. Lots of room and huge shallow flats.

Norrish and Nicomen have no water this year.
I hope this is not the new standard.

agreed, Norrish has sucked balls this year, even when the water has been up and it should be stacked

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 11:11:35 AM »

I think all rivers in the Fraser Valley should be designated as "anglers whose first name is fishing related" only streams.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010, 11:55:59 AM »

I think the Vedder should be fly fishing only. Look at super angler milo's report.

gigahoo

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »

Why? its a hatchery river? as you have said there are many spots already more suitable to fly fishing or spinner fishing where snaggers are unlikely to find success.

I don't care if its a hatchery river or not.   Rivers that are large such as the Vedder or Squamish don't need a fly fishing only disignation even if there were great for fly fishing because they are large, but a small river such as Norrish in some sections should be disignated fly fishing only. 

First because in these sections the water is low and slow and all spinners, floats, and lead only spook the fish, and is therefore is not compatible with fly fishing which does not spook the fish.    Again, knowledgeable fishers will know what sections I'm talking about.  Its impossible to sustain a quality fishing experience on a quiet section of river when surrounded by heavy hard ware tossers.   

I do not favour the fly fishing only disignation as a general rule, but in very exceptional and limited locations.