Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warning, cash grab by conservation dept.  (Read 40621 times)

clownfish

Warning, cash grab by conservation dept.
« on: October 23, 2010, 04:05:09 PM »

Was fishing today on the Alouette at Alco Park, caught one spring around 6lbs, and when my buddy and I were returning to his truck we saw the CO's in the parking lot. They asked to see our licenses and to look at our gear, "no problem" we said, as we were legal (we figured), and I said to the CO's, "Seeing as you have a pen I can write down my catch, seeing as I lost mine while fishing." They looked at my buddies fishing & driver's lic. and took mine back to their truck. After keeping us waiting way over half an hour, they brought my licenses back and told me they were giving me a $115.00 fine for failure to record my catch immediately. They gave us this spiel about it being a "conservation measure" as there is no stocking program for springs, and how they "could have confiscated my gear and my catch" as well as the fine, and they had no way of knowing whether I actually would have recorded my catch. I'm TOTALLY aware of that. What total bullshite! Another fishing buddy of mine has commented numerous times in the past that I'm the most honest fisherman he knows, they have both been with me numerous times in the past when I have told others that the foul-hooked fish they were just ready to bonk has to be released. I WILL be contesting this.

So... word to the wise everyone, even if you try to do everything right, remember, CYA (cover your a$$), and pack two pens, in different pockets.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
Re: Warning, cash grab by conservation dept.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 04:21:15 PM »

Tough break, I feel for you, but they can't read minds either. For all they know , you might have had no intention of recording your catch, so what are they supposed to do ? Maybe a warning could have been given instead of the fine.

I always have 2 pens with me at all times, in case one doesn't want to work etc. Good luck with the fight, but IMO you don't stand a chance. No matter what your intentions were, either way,at the end of the day, you still violated the law. Again, tough break dude !

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »

The write down your catch rule is a silly one imo, but he`s within the law to fine you although it`s a low blow given the fact about what they let fly on the water these days...I never hear the story of the beako who snags fish all day getting a hefty fine but always the honest fisherman who forgot to record his catch on his license or something silly and ultimately meaningless   :-\

wizard

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 04:24:25 PM »

I hear what you're saying....but...you had a spring, and it wasn't written down...
if i never speed, and the one time I do, I get a ticket, I cannot say "I never speed...so I shouldn't get a ticket"...what is there to contest?

noobfisher

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 04:32:18 PM »

I hear what you're saying....but...you had a spring, and it wasn't written down...
if i never speed, and the one time I do, I get a ticket, I cannot say "I never speed...so I shouldn't get a ticket"...what is there to contest?

Have to agree as well ... those are the rules, don't really think it's a cash grab, it's their job to enforce the regulations.  Hopefully someone else learns from your mistake.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 04:35:56 PM »

a 6lb spring sounds like a jack,and you dont record jacks.

clownfish

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 04:36:38 PM »

So what was I supposed to do?

Write it down in fish blood? My blood? Burn a stick (if I had a lighter) and write it in charcoal?

The fish was caught "clean" and bonked. I'm walking back to the truck with the fish, the CO's have already seen me with it, I figure I've done nothing wrong.

If I was actually guilty of something, then run? or toss the fish in the bush? A little late for either of those, if I ACTUALLY had done something wrong.

doja

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 04:38:59 PM »

Depending on what you said to the officer, as it can be used against you, you could always say that after bonking the fish you failed to find your pen that you always carry and immediately went back to your truck to get one or attempted to go to the nearness place to find one. In addition you can have "many" references to support your good nature in court which does help.

Was it over 50cm? Is it really close? that may be another defense.

In the end this is a stupid move on the officers part and is why I don't support them and with the new paper copy's you can print as many copies as you like and retain as many Chinook as you like.

I say fight it!!!!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 04:42:58 PM by doja »

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 04:39:44 PM »

So what was I supposed to do?

Write it down in fish blood? My blood? Burn a stick (if I had a lighter) and write it in charcoal?

The fish was caught "clean" and bonked. I'm walking back to the truck with the fish, the CO's have already seen me with it, I figure I've done nothing wrong.

If I was actually guilty of something, then run? or toss the fish in the bush? A little late for either of those, if I ACTUALLY had done something wrong.

But you did do something wrong dude. You didn't record it immediately after retaining it. Walking to your truck to get the pen isn't good enough, read the regulations, it specifically details this law.

doja

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »

But you did do something wrong dude. You didn't record it immediately after retaining it. Walking to your truck to get the pen isn't good enough, read the regulations, it specifically details this law.

But if he had intent to do so then he didn't willingly break the law. It's a honest mistake and not of his control. I lose stuff on the river all the time. I even had my pen blow up and be come unusable, and discovered after I caught my fish.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 04:43:35 PM by doja »

doja

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 04:47:25 PM »

Oh, and if you don't beat the ticket the judge may grant a reduction to help cover your hassle of going to fight it. This depends on income or if the judge kinda hears ya he'll be nice and at least do something. I have friends that have fought tickets and had them reduced as they had a somewhat plausible defense.

But be very respectful and nice to all party's.

Good luck

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 04:48:38 PM »

But if he had intent to do so then he didn't willingly break the law. It's a honest mistake and not of his control. I lose stuff on the river all the time. I even had my pen blow up and be come unusable, and discovered after I caught my fish.

Before you commence fishing , you better check to see if everything is in order, if this includes having a working pen or an extra one,then so be it. I know it's a sh!tty law , but it is what it is. Again, the end result was an illegal action, or lack of action for that matter.

Randofish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 04:59:09 PM »

You got caught and you have to pay the piper even if it was not intetional.
What next, lost your pliers and can't crimp your barb.
I know it sucks but rules are rules.
We all should know them and be prepared.
Not a cash grab in my mind.imo
The Fishin Musician

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 05:01:47 PM »

a 6lb spring sounds like a jack,and you dont record jacks.

Thats what I was thinking. Did you have a means of measuring with you? If you are going to be retaining chinook, you probably should so you know if you have a jack or not.

You said you were fishing with a friend. I guess your friend lost his pen while fishing too? Wonder what the odds of both of you losing a pen the same day are?

Doesn't sound like a tax grab to me, sounds like a CO doing there job. Not saying you intentionally were not going to write it down but I have seen so many people not and get away with it. Nice to hear of some enforcment on the river.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 05:04:41 PM »

If you didn't have a pen to record the spring you should have let the fish go.

Not a cash grab.