Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: making your own sink tip  (Read 7869 times)

carpenter

making your own sink tip
« on: September 07, 2010, 02:14:57 PM »

my buddy was saying i should just buy some floating line for my six weight and then add my own sink tip . he said to use a sinking line in 6,8,10' lenghts for different depths if this is right is it mabey easier to buy different leght premade sink tips or just use some of his old #6 sink. will it be harder to cast . i just cant get the depthe i need with my intermediate sink.any help would be great. o yeah if it matters fishin the pools on the cap mostly faster water. :-\

BBarley

Re: making your own sink tip
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 02:53:02 PM »

I would personally opt for just buying the Versitip system and be covered.

Not sure if your thinking of buying something like T-14 (tungsten core) then chopping it up based on different lengths to have different weight tips. That stuff is pathetic to cast, but not as bad as solid leadcore.

Also, the versitip system has the proper line tapers to help you turn over the different tips. The only downfall is the price, probably $150 for a 6 weight.

carpenter

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 08:57:07 PM »

thanks BBarley not a great caster but i figure i will only be casting about 1/2 my fly line anyways . But i was thinking I might try my buddies old # 6 sink line instead of the lead core might be a little easier for me to cast ?  that rio setup is a little steep might have to wait for christmas . easy present for the old lady to grab i'll deffinatley keep it in mind. ;D

BBarley

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 10:13:18 PM »

Yeah, the leadcore stuff is "chuck and duck" and it would be a disaster on a light 6 weight.
You can always buy the individual tips as you need them, I think they run at about 30 dollars. Get your local fly shop to chop off your line right before the sink tip starts. Then get them to put a braided loop end on the end of the line.

Typically sink tips will have some sort of a small taper in the floating section just before the transition to help turn the tip over when casting. A floating tip and a type 6 tip should cover you pretty well. Just remember that if you go with the tip's, take the end of your main line and pass it through the loop end on the sink tip, then take the end of the tip and pass it through the loop in the mainline for a nice figure 8 connection.

carpenter

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 03:42:17 PM »

thanks bbarley will have to get this setup soon hopefully going to rain and bring the fish into the river.  :o

anorden

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 02:54:32 PM »

Matt at pacific angler did a great job building me a sink tip. He cut the top 15 feet off an old floating line and did some tidy knots to tie on the tip.

It casts surprisingly well and its a hell of a lot cheaper than the 150$ all singing all dancing sink tip!

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 05:35:28 PM »

Hey,

Also check out the Teeny sink tip fly lines - they are AWESOME and designed for fishing short turbid deep pools, where you need to get your fly down quickly.  But here comes the clincher - fish them with a short (2ft) leader and a floating fly such as a muddler.

The line sinks and holds the fly deep - but with no weight on the fly it darts around in the current and looks incredibly life like - deadly!

Have fun  ;)
Try the fly!

carpenter

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 04:57:43 PM »

got my sink tip figured out but these teeny sink tip fly line sound interesting have to check them out i bet they cast alot better than the lead core i have been heaving around the water. thanks for the tips guys .

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 06:54:35 PM »

Hey Carpenter,

Yes - the Teeny T series are effectively 'Rocket' tapered which is kind of a Weight Forward on steroids!  In short you retrieve the line to the point of colour change (between the dark coloured sinking tip and the lighter coloured running line) then lift the line out (I do this with a short roll cast) then just give them a regular cast - point and let go - they cast for miles!!

Great lines, truly great lines - worth the cost.

Good luck!
Try the fly!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 09:32:30 AM »

--get a 30 ft teeny and cut it for 5,10&15 ft heads
--strip ends with acetone and tie in loop knot... apply soft glue such as made by loon to give smooth transition of knot to line from the loop

--for slower river there are also weighted sinking leaders which as they are thin diameter will sink fairly well with less weight usually only 5 ft length. but can be attached to dry line or even to extend a sink tip.
--I use these sink leaders on dry lines that I don't want to cut back floating head like you wood on a true link system for better distance casting.