Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need suggestion for a new fly rod  (Read 5302 times)

4ptbuck

Need suggestion for a new fly rod
« on: October 15, 2010, 12:29:24 PM »

I recently broke the tip (about 14" down) section of my 5wt snowbee rod.
It's time to look for a new one.

Most of my fishing has been on the Silmilkameen and avaerage fish is 8-10", largest ever was 14".

I always though the 5wt was too heavy, and have been considering a 3wt.

Thoughts?

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Need suggestion for a new fly rod
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 03:13:37 PM »

-- I think you would find a longer 9 ft 4 wt more versatile and practical than a 3 wt.
--The Similkameen has some wider stretches and more importantly wind.
-- The 4 wt will still throw some of the larger dry flies required during sedge hatches and can handle some wind etc.
-- Also 4 wt lines are more readily available in both wet and dry lines double taper and weight forward at most fly shops.
-- If however you have other rods and want a specialty rod to deliver fies in the 22-28 range.. which work well in some slower clear sections of the similkameen then the three wt for sure is an option. 

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 08:39:03 AM »

personally a 4 weight to fish for 8-10 inch average fish seems a little overkill. i would go with a 3 weight for sure. plus you can put a 4 weight line on lots of rods which will help your casting control. echo makes some nice rods for a good price and sage entree rods are pretty nice too plus there a little longer. i own a 3 weight sage and iv landed 20 inch + fish many times on it no problems. your not gonna see much difference going from a 5 to a 4. just my opinion.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 09:46:10 AM »

spend the extra coin and get something in a 000wt to a 2wt and those little fish will feel like salmon and be loads of fun  ;D not to mention you will probably giggle like a kid while fighting the fish LOL
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 10:12:20 AM »

if i had the money i would also get the 000 sage txl. but echo or sage are good bets if your looking for a 3 weight.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 10:16:35 AM by GENERAL-SHERMAN »

cohojoe

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 10:24:44 AM »

There is a guy selling a  Loomis 4 weight 10 foot with a sage reel and fly  line.   post your telephone number and I will give it to him.  $ 250 all in .

4ptbuck

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 10:05:04 AM »

Hmm,.. that 4wt sounds interesting.  Give him my number, 778-987-7857, I'd like to get more details.

I think I am still leaning towards a 3wt though.   As somebody said, I can't believe there's much of a difference between a 5 and a 4 weight.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 10:47:10 AM »

Hmm,.. that 4wt sounds interesting.  Give him my number, 778-987-7857, I'd like to get more details.

I think I am still leaning towards a 3wt though.   As somebody said, I can't believe there's much of a difference between a 5 and a 4 weight.

-- there can be a significant difference between a 5 wt and 4 wt even between two 5 wts. depending on the action and quality selected

--I'm all for getting specialty rods, in particular if you seek areas to fish that are suited to the equipment. Like golf clubs some have a full set or even custom made.
--lighter rods are more line sensitive so as you get down in size expect your line choices to become more limited and less readily available

4ptbuck

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 12:45:10 PM »

well I am now the owner of a new to me 10' 4wt custom GLoomis rod.
I am hoping to test the waters this weekend.

One questions though, and this may warrant a new topic, but my fly rod has somebody else's name on it.
Any way to get through the varnish and customize it for me?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 12:59:16 PM »

call Stryker rod and reel and ask them. they can probably tell you exactly how it can be done  ;)

http://www.rodandreel.ca/

I would imagine it involves getting the epoxy finish off, sanding it off the blank and then re-adding the epoxy back on. I may also be way out in left field though LOL
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/