Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re: 2010 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 9265 times)

wizard

I can't say I fish the chilliwack vedder often or at all during salmon season...main reason is I can't fish and have fun being around snaggers and the like.  I fish from my boat, or fish less known areas as much as possible. 
Everyone is right, enough is enough on all systems.  Snagging is poaching.  Poaching is illegal and CANNOT be tolerated.  The general lack of respect for this resource will be the end of it.  Every fisher out their who fishes by the laws and respects their quarry needs to stand up for it.  In the past when witnessing these poachers at work I might've tried to ignore it, or just fish somwhere else, but not anymore. 
PLease everyone, if you see someone snagging or fishing illegally, the LEAST you can do is call RAPP immediately AND  let them know you've called. 

poachers have it WAYYYY too easy on our waters.  they beleive it's their right to "harvest" these fish by any means...we CANNOT let this mentality become the norm.  they abuse the fish that many have fought hard for their survival.  I will not turn a blind eye to this again.  I hope every other self respecting fishermen out their will do the same and not tolerate this nonsense.  btw, what are your guys' thoughts on video taping these snaggers/poachers?  good idea or not.  thanks! 

btw, if you discovers a nice little fishing spot that isn't full of poachers, do yourselves a favour and keep that spot to yourselves.  no need to brag about how many fish you caught at so and so river or creek.  word spreads like wildfire, try to be cognisent about what you tell people and to whom you tell.  tightlines guys and good luck! ::)

Fish Slayer

ask them if u can check out their rod for a minute.....oooppss SNAP rod in half over knee...then ask now what are ya gonna do?.....works everytime...ppl are so quick to criticize on forums yet dont have the balls to actually do anything about it or confront the idiots...man up and get these idiots off the river by confronting them...getting physical isnt out of the question...they are breaking the law so u can use necessary force....holmes*
Then have the guy bash your head in, bear spray you, stab you, shoot you, or maybe toss you in the river where you could then drown and then they get to your vehicle... Sounds like a GREAT idea, let us all know how it goes with your childish shenanigans be sure to wear your spandex costume and cape while out there so we all know it's you lol.

StillAqua

PLease everyone, if you see someone snagging or fishing illegally, the LEAST you can do is call RAPP immediately AND  let them know you've called. 

Call RAPP and call often....they have to prioritize and if they get 10-20 calls over a couple days about the same problem, they will come.....

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer

Then have the guy bash your head in, bear spray you, stab you, shoot you, or maybe toss you in the river where you could then drown and then they get to your vehicle... Sounds like a GREAT idea, let us all know how it goes with your childish shenanigans be sure to wear your spandex costume and cape while out there so we all know it's you lol.

Agreed Fish Slayer.  Holmes - I'm sorry, but you're asking for trouble.  It simply isn't worth it.  Period.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

Re: 2010 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 03:33:57 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: Fish Slayer on October 12, 2010, 08:45:24 PM

Agreed Fish Slayer.  Holmes - I'm sorry, but you're asking for trouble.  It simply isn't worth it.  Period.

Also,  don't forget them Identifying your vehicle,  finding it by the road on that cold wet day and......

MY BIGGEST CONCERN ABOUT VIGILANTES:  the ones that don't know much themselves going out to be judge, jury and executioner; 
Last year there were a couple guys offering to throw this older fellow (close to 70) into the river for snagging (he was not).
A 70 year old guy being harrassed by a couple 20 somethings who didn't actually seem too proficient  accusing someone of something that hadn't even happened.
There is a difference between Intentional snagging and an unfortunate Unintentional foul hook (which must be released; as it would be an illegal,  poached fish if retained).

w

Kype

• Try the fly!

I still come back to reporting the situation as fast as possible and if possible - absolutely video / tape the culprits - pretty hard to argue you were not snagging fish when there's a video showing you doing it!  This way if matters get more serious there is criminal evidence too.

Though I still feel the entry level is too low - i.e. our fishing is too cheap for how we want it policed and managed.  We should look at funding mechanisms - like the suggestion of a 'vedder' stamp the proceeds of which go to fund enforcement officers on the vedder, etc.

I am not 'elitist' and wanting to price people out of fishing - but when the licences and stamps are as cheap as they are there is little wonder there is not enough money to fund more enforcement officers.  Also it clearly attracts some of the wrong people who are only interested in filling their freezers rather than the notion of enjoying the sport and having blank days where they get skunked - which for most of us actually increases the value of the days when the bite is on!

How best to move things forward?  And NOT in a vigilante way - 2 wrongs don't make 1 right!
Try the fly!

Kype

• Try the fly!

Valleydude - I would suggest it's a pretty niaive view to think we would price people out of fishing when the licenses are $36/year + say a Salmon stamp at $15.  With a Canadian Tire outfit of say $50 you could double this and people would still comfortably be able to afford to go fishing and here's the clincher .... if they really wanted to!

To put it in perspective if you buy 30 cans of beer and a couple of snacks from BC Liquor you are spending circa $70 - for one weekend (depends on your drinking speed of course LOL!) now view $36 for all year!?!?!?!

The key is to ring fence the additional revenue to be spent only on extra enforcement.
Try the fly!

Stratocaster

• Old Timer

Valleydude - I would suggest it's a pretty niaive view to think we would price people out of fishing when the licenses are $36/year + say a Salmon stamp at $15.  With a Canadian Tire outfit of say $50 you could double this and people would still comfortably be able to afford to go fishing and here's the clincher .... if they really wanted to!

To put it in perspective if you buy 30 cans of beer and a couple of snacks from BC Liquor you are spending circa $70 - for one weekend (depends on your drinking speed of course LOL!) now view $36 for all year!?!?!?!

The key is to ring fence the additional revenue to be spent only on extra enforcement.

I honestly don't know how people could complain if they had to pay more for their licenses.  What we pay now is a steal IMHO.  A round of golf usually costs more than $50.  A lift ticket at Whistler is what, $70 now?  And don't get me started on how much it costs to go to a Canucks game.  I wouldn't mind paying two or three times the amount for an annual pass if it they can assure me that the money will go to better enforcement.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Close retention for Chinooks, Chums and Pinks after Sept 30.  Many of the anglers we are complaining about are primarily after White Springs and will kill anything they catch no matter how dark.  I find generally that these anglers have a tougher time hooking into coho.  I remember when we could only keep Spring Jacks and Coho and the fishing was much more pleasant.

valleydude

i think you guys are right ,we should make it so only you that deserve to fish ,get to,the price of the licence isnt the problem,its the people abusing it ,our fisheries haven't proven they have the ability to manage cupcakes!!!!!!!!!!!    furthermore i have choosen to teach my children to respect our outdoors because its the right thing to do,not because we paid for a stamp to do so,IMO these are elitist comments and only lead to more abuse from the very people you are trying to remove from the river. i understand the frustration but i feel  its a slippery slope that you gentlemen want to enter, JUST  MY TWO CENTS WORTH

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....

You want to close the retention for those species? Than the hatchery has to stop enhancing these species. Which IMO is not a good idea.

The only thing that works is enforcement.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Kype

• Try the fly!

Valleydude - these are NOT elitist comments - they are practical comments.  How else will you raise the cash to pay for more enforcement???????

The reality is 99% of honest law abiding 'true' anglers think the same - however we do live in the real world and we would need funds to pay for enforcement.  How else would you raise it?

BTW Stratocaster - Whistler is $93/day for walk-up price during the main season!!!!!! (http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/tickets/winter/index.htm:o

Sorry to be a moan!  Just so sad to watch such an amazing resource which should be being celebrated become over-run with idiots trying to cheaply fill their freezers.  Just wrong.

Kudos for teaching your kids well Valleydude - if only everyone had done this eh!
Try the fly!

valleydude

kype,i'm curious what you consider a true angler,i see lots of photos of people on this site keeping plenty of fish from many different rivers that they fish on,when we purchase a license that gives us the option to retain fish if we so choose,if regs are being broken is one thing,i believe many people took much more fish than they will eat,that said DFO could have closed the fishery way sooner and most people would have been good with that.sounds to me like some of the people you are asking to enforce these regs with new money were not doing much of enforcement job with what was already in place!!!!!!    You might be able to get 99% of the 100 guys that fish the vedder 4 to 5 days a week to agree with your point of view , only problem is that the fees collected from the 1000's of rec fishers that only get out a handfull of times are paying for these enforcement officers.  I respect your opinion,i just don't agree with..SORRY

mvelasco

I hate it when people intrude your space when you fish.there isn't much you can do but glare at them and they stare at you as if your an idiot.  I guess some people think they own the river.or even if you fish at the slab they cast right over you! Honestly kills my buzz.