Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re: 2010 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 9264 times)

Kype

• Try the fly!

Why o why is more not done to get rid of serial snaggers!  >:(

Very easy now a days to collect video evidence and have them banned.
Try the fly!

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties

Why o why is more not done to get rid of serial snaggers!  >:(

Very easy now a days to collect video evidence and have them banned.

If DFO/MOE won't do anything, it's time to take it into our own hands....do what you think needs to be done.Just walking by the these goons doesn't do anything, call them out for who they are, all of them. If you think it's going to get physical....stand up for the fish. Some of you might think this is a bad idea.....it probably is.....ok I know it is, but enough is enough. Maybe I'll just take my big assed sturgeon rod with 100lb test line and nothing but a 14oz weight on the end, and cast over them everytime I can. Their not going to part my rig ;D I'll reel in and do some cutting, then wait for the next one and just repeat the process. I don't mind confrontation ;D

Ok my ranting is done for the day ;D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 02:08:17 PM by Bently »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Just stopped at Lickman, hundreds of people out, river mud but a lot of the Fraser crowd there I guess. A fish would never see a presentation, a sorry sight that would make old timers turn in their graves. What is angling turning into? I felt so bad seeing the disrespect for fish. >:( :( :o ??? ::) :-[ :'(

fic

• Old Timer

Just stopped at Lickman, hundreds of people out, river mud but a lot of the Fraser crowd there I guess. A fish would never see a presentation, a sorry sight that would make old timers turn in their graves. What is angling turning into? I felt so bad seeing the disrespect for fish. >:( :( :o ??? ::) :-[ :'(

I was at Veddar Crossing (first time ever on the Veddar), and there were tons of people too, not too many people catching anything. I was wondering about that muddy water whether I was wasting my time floating my wool in that mud.  On my way home to Vancouver, checked out the Stave and the water was clear.   Some chums were around and being caught.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer

Its not just the snagging that bothers me, its the general aggressive attitudes that some have where they think they own the river and need to get fish at all costs even if it means throwing out all common sense and manners.  They see you hooking a few nice fish and decide to plant themselves right beside you without saying a word.  Even though you've been there since first light and they just walked in.  When you tell them that they are too close, they say: "Too bad, we fish like this at Peg Leg".

IMHO its too easy to get a license to fish rivers.  I think we need to separate the Freshwater licenses into Lakes and Streams.  I favor increasing the price of a river license with the increase in revenue going towards more patrols.  We don't need armed officers.  We need some sort of community patrol that would help to keep things in check.  If serious trouble occurs then you can call for more backup.  This way we can implement some sort of core system with angling in rivers which could encompass safety, fish id, etiquette,  etc.. Penalties should be harsh meaning you lose your gear if you fish without purchasing a license or if you break any of the laws.  This would weed out many of the idiots with poor attitudes that are unwilling to change their ways. 

NiceFish

• Old Timer

lets just sink a few logs in the popular flossing spots

Fisherama

Its not just the snagging that bothers me, its the general aggressive attitudes that some have where they think they own the river and need to get fish at all costs even if it means throwing out all common sense and manners.  

It's pretty crazy and starts even enroute to the river.  Heading up Chilliwack Lake Rd yesterday, some cowboy was driving 100km/hr and passing other vehicles dangerously along the way.  This all happening at 6:30am.  Was he really missing out on much by arriving at his favorite spot 1 minute later?  People really need to chill out this time of year.

Kype

• Try the fly!

I am with Stratocaster here - raise the license fees and fund more enforcement officers.

No one wants to be priced off the rivers but at $36/year + say a Salmon stamp at $15 there is plenty of room to increase the prices.  This might also seperate the real anglers from the Freezer Fillers!

Fishing around the world I struggle to think of many places you can fish so cheaply for what could be exceptional fishing.

Just another note but other countries regulate (particularly Salmon) by enforcing a minimum distance between anglers to ensure the fish get a fair chance to migrate up river without being mauled by anglers standing shoulder to shoulder - one of the most clear indication of people snagging!

Just thoughts - something surely needs doing and soon!
Try the fly!

dennyman

• Old Timer

Sad to hear of the lack of angling etiquette on the rivers these days.  And that line about "this is how we fish at Peg Leg", is priceless.  The floss fest nonsense for the sockeye fishery should stay on the Fraser and once it is over that is where it should stay. All these long line clowns should take a fishing trip to the North country. Big tip I would have is to learn how to swim before you go,  because with rude and ignorant behaviour more than just a few of these weekend warrior fisherman would be given the heave ho into the rivers up there.

BBarley

Sad to hear of the lack of angling etiquette on the rivers these days.  And that line about "this is how we fish at Peg Leg", is priceless.  The floss fest nonsense for the sockeye fishery should stay on the Fraser and once it is over that is where it should stay. All these long line clowns should take a fishing trip to the North country. Big tip I would have is to learn how to swim before you go,  because with rude and ignorant behaviour more than just a few of these weekend warrior fisherman would be given the heave ho into the rivers up there.

aYup!

I can't say I've thrown anyone into the flow.... but I have sunk a fly as deep as I could into some @$$holes leg after he low-holed me with his 15 foot leader BS on the Skeena.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties

What can we do besides taking matters into our own hands? If anyone has any good ideas please post them

Halloween is coming, maybe dress up like a DFO/MOE and bust them. Might even get a decent rod or two out of the deal ;D ;D

K2Mining

Hey now that's an idea!  Then sell the rods on craigslist for money towards some real enforcement out there .... :P

WEEFISH

weefish i think its time to take matters into our own hands. i agree with calling for back up if needed . i feel that the only way to control this snaqgging issue and poor handling of fish is to have proper teaching meathods applied and if they refuse to cooperate then its time to call for backup and have them out numbered.
<"((((><

valleydude

i grew up on the skeena river,this type of behavior was few and far between,i sure hope that pricing the less frequent user out of the chance to enjoy our outdoors is not the solution,i feel for everyone that witness this behavior everyday but i am very leary of putting so much responsilbilty on enforcement officers,i would hope peer pressure would play a role somewhat in educating people ,AMEN, i moved to the chilliwack area so my family could enjoy what this region has to offer,makes me wonder if certain user groups won't be happy until only a handful are allowed to use these areas and the rest are left to read about it because they could't afford or justify the expense.iI DO NOT CONDONE THE ACTIONS I HAVE READ ABOUT,IT IS WRONG PLAIN AND SIMPLE...thanx for the forum to voice,enjoy the outdoors don't abuse it !!!!!!!!!!!!

holmes

• photobucket.com

ask them if u can check out their rod for a minute.....oooppss SNAP rod in half over knee...then ask now what are ya gonna do?.....works everytime...ppl are so quick to criticize on forums yet dont have the balls to actually do anything about it or confront the idiots...man up and get these idiots off the river by confronting them...getting physical isnt out of the question...they are breaking the law so u can use necessary force....holmes*