Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How late into the season have you produced a chrome coho.

Mid-November
- 15 (23.4%)
End-Novemver
- 10 (15.6%)
Mid-December
- 17 (26.6%)
End-December
- 22 (34.4%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Late chrome!  (Read 6852 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Late chrome!
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 08:55:54 PM »

4.5" Raven Classic - must look small  'cause it's not laying flat and my Lami has big cork.

I've always been led to believe that size does not matter, as long as you've got the skill to use it.   ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Tee

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 09:12:58 PM »

I caught one on boxing days several years ago. She was as chrome as the fresh fish could be. That day was a great day fishing for coho, hooking into many fish.
I only fish on days that end with "y".

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 09:17:15 AM »

Saw an interesting related post on another board in regards to keeping fish for mounting:

If possible, keep the fish on a stringer in the water, a fish that dies and is exposed to air, will turn very dark and usually have to be whited out.
A fish that dies and stays in the water, seems to bleach out and turns very light.

Ontario - SalmonCrazy.com

Robbie

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 10:53:01 AM »

I brought in a chrome bright Coho on the Norrish on Jan 6 about 3 years ago.  It was as a beautiful clean fish in the water, and as black as can be on the shore.  Flesh was mushy and I could almost push my finger right though it.  Another angler told me Coca cola would brighten it up for the photo. 

Toprod

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 04:23:26 PM »

Caught a chameleon coho on the vedder a few years back, it was sillver with greyish undertones and turned boot black. Soft yellow meat, no good!

anejo676

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2010, 04:01:21 PM »

On the Skagit River in Washington State I've gotten chrome bright sea lice fish well into late December with bright red meat.  I've even seen wild Coho in to mid to late January.  Although not seeing as many the last many years as Washington State is all about tribe and cowboy harvesting any potential "extra" fish.  :(