Fishing in British Columbia > General Discussion

Human scent when fishing

<< < (3/4) > >>

Spiznack:

--- Quote from: BigFisher on October 05, 2010, 12:35:19 AM ---...
What makes you think otherwise that human scent is could be a turn off for the fish? How do you know the latex gloves or soap would be a turn off to cover your human scent  :P

--- End quote ---

When fishing tournaments for Bass back in the states I found that most guys would avoid soap, cigarettes and most importantly bug spray due to the scent trails that would be left. 

From SportFishing BC: http://www.sportfishingbc.com/articles/tackle_techniques/oils.htm

"Many common chemicals that ride to the river with the fisherman have a negative effect to Mr. Steelhead. Like it or not humans are stuck with scent that contains the amino acid L-serine, which fish find pretty offensive. Some fisherman unfortunately have more L-serine than others, this is most likely the problem with your fishing buddy who is in the dry spell of his life. Or it could be he or she handles such items as tobacco products, sun screens, or insect repellents, which are all taboo to Mr. Steelhead"

I've seen it before in comps.  I was fishing with another guy on my boat.  We were casting to the same spots with the same Senkos and same retrieves but I was drastically out fishing him.  This I found a bit strange because the Senko is heavily impregnated with salt and has its own scent. 

Fish Assassin:
Don't forget bananas. Some guides will not allow bananas on board their boats.

lovethewater:
Here is some information I found on the web regarding this topic...

"The Scientific Angler" was written by Paul C. Johnson who worked as director and development for the Berkley Company Here's what he said concerning scents:.

"Fish biologists have long known that fish have olfactory (sense of smell) organs. What has not been recisely determined before is just how sensitive and diverse these smell detectors are in the average game fish. Within the past few years some innovative research has been done to help answer this intriguing question. Working with migrating salmon, a team of researchers ran a series of experiments using a Y-shaped salmon ladder. As the migrating fish approached the intersection of the Y they could proceed upstream either to the left or the right. The first studies showed that the fish really did not show a preference-apparently there are no right- or left-handed salmon. As expected, 50 percent of the fish turned left and 50 percent right.

Now the biologists began a fascinating series of tests. They introduced various chemical contaminants into one leg of the upstream. When they put a bear's paw into one channel all the salmon immediately ceased migrating into that side. When they put the bear's paw into the other channel they again reversed the migration. The fish were clearly detecting and reacting to trace parts per billion of a chemical coming off its paw.

If salmon had developed this ability to detect and react to the smell of a bear as a natural predator, what would they do with human smells? The researchers had human subjects experiment by placing their hands in one of the migration channels. Almost as if a railroad brakeman were throwing switches, the salmon detected the human smell, reacted and switched channels on cue. The odor coming off a human hand was clearly repulsive. In some instances, with some human test subjects, the researchers noticed that not only did the migration change, but with certain human subjects the migration stopped altogether.

Just a thought...if some people emit more scent than others this may be a reason for catching less fish...

lapa:

--- Quote from: ntjipta on October 05, 2010, 12:26:03 AM ---the only time i think this made a difference for me is when i used roe that smelled FOUL! i didn't have any roe left in the freezer so i had to use the only garbage roe i had left. my buddy had fresh roe.. the guys next to us had fresh roe. they all got fish. i did not. i'll blame it on the roe, not on human scent.

--- End quote ---
I'll blame buddy  ;D ;D

BladeKid:
Went fishing with my boss a couple months ago, I was literally almost thrown out of the car by him as I was about to peel my BANANA, he then made me throw it out the window, lol! And then made me keep a 5 foot radius around him and his flies..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version