Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hey Sockeye people  (Read 11068 times)

BladeKid

• Old Timer
Re: Hey Sockeye people
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 05:11:05 PM »

Educate me to what?...Not my job to educate other people,if they cant tell a sockeye from a bullhead then they shouldnt be out there fishing now should they?

I agree they shouldn't be fishing if they don't know the regs/species, but the fact is that these people are fishing and watching them poach without saying a word isn't fine in my books.

Basically, we can provide important info about the fishery, but if no one listens and changes as a result, we've done nothing to educate them.

Well if this is what he meant, I don't entirely agree with it. When someone has been clearly and politely told that what they are doing is wrong, as well as why its wrong, and still don't listen, they are brainless and dense, not uneducated.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 08:09:49 PM »

I agree they shouldn't be fishing if they don't know the regs/species, but the fact is that these people are fishing and watching them poach without saying a word isn't fine in my books.

I never saw anyone poach this summer while fishing for sockeyes.Just saying its not my job to educate others.Im not DFO,thats thier job to enforce the laws of the land.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 09:36:59 PM »

I never saw anyone poach this summer while fishing for sockeyes.Just saying its not my job to educate others.Im not DFO,thats thier job to enforce the laws of the land.

Ya Ya Ya ,we know..for 3 posts now " It's not my job to educate others, that's the DFO's job"...I was told when I was young , that if 3 or more people basically suggest the same thing to me.......they just might have something there.......and it's probably a good time to listen to what they've said.....Worried about getting your head bashed in over a fish????? Grow some cajones , it aint gonna kill ya to try and teach the newbie fishers a thing or two, and if their the kind that are basically poaching and don't give a damn, well then call the ORR number and be done with it.
  I reminds me of when i was working on a fish boat. The engineer was told by the skipper to do the dishes after we finished grub one night. He says to the skipper ," it's not my job, I'm the engineer, plus my hands are all greasy". So the skipper says "do it, and do it now or your fired, besides, what better way to get your hands clean than by doing the dishes, we're supposed to be a team out here".The engineer still refused ,, so the skipper canned his ***, and we dropped him off, all alone, at the nearest Lighthouse and went back fishing.

Ever thought about being a Lighthouse Keeper ?????
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:39:53 PM by Bently »

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 04:46:35 AM »

Ever thought about being a Lighthouse Keeper ?????
[/quote]If i was the engineer on that boat...i would have told the skipper the same thing...good on him! And a commercial fish boat is the last place i would ever want to work.Up to the newbies to learn the regs before they start wetting a line.

burnaby

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 11:32:41 AM »

Provided the skipper practice what he preaches by also doing the dishes whenever possible the engineer deserves it. No I in team.

Responsibility of every angler to know the regs, no excuses, you bought and signed a fishing license. Also the responsibility of decent anglers to inform the violators how lucky they are that you're NOT a CO issuing them a costly ticket. Inform them the rules and violation. Really not that hard to do your part, probably meet a friend along the way.  :)
If i was the engineer on that boat...i would have told the skipper the same thing...good on him! And a commercial fish boat is the last place i would ever want to work.Up to the newbies to learn the regs before they start wetting a line.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 08:43:40 PM »

Provided the skipper practice what he preaches by also doing the dishes whenever possible the engineer deserves it. No I in team.

Responsibility of every angler to know the regs, no excuses, you bought and signed a fishing license. Also the responsibility of decent anglers to inform the violators how lucky they are that you're NOT a CO issuing them a costly ticket. Inform them the rules and violation. Really not that hard to do your part, probably meet a friend along the way.  :)
I am rethinking my stance on this subject...yes its probally the right thing to do if you see someone poaching to step in and intervene.Still dont get what the fish boat story has to do with anything. ???

BBarley

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 08:59:04 PM »

Wow, did this thread ever get derailed.....

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 01:42:49 PM »

Wow, did this thread ever get derailed.....

It's called thread morphing, BBarley.
Nothing wrong with that.

It just means that the secondary subject elicits more interest and becomes more relevant than the primary subject.
Happens all the time.

Cheers.