Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho~Vedder  (Read 9590 times)

scales

• I'm a llama!
Coho~Vedder
« on: September 27, 2010, 06:54:51 PM »

Is this an indicator for a good/excellent coho run in the Chilliwack/Vedder river system?  I saw totes of coho salmon being loaded onto a processor's truck at the Chilliwack Fish Hatchery when visiting the facility and these fish were big!  I've never heard of surplus fish this early in the season to be sold off like that.  SOCKEYE salmon returned in record numbers this year maybe we will see 30-40,000 coho days again in the Vedder.  Couple of outings confirms a high percentage of cohos throughout the system so we will have to see at the end of the season for the final count.  My assessment based on current outings plus friends reports would indicate 25,000 coho for our return this year.  What do you think?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Coho~Vedder
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 01:04:39 PM »

The trick now a days is to try and make them bite. Not like the old days when we had great coho salmon days. One wonders is the hatchery raising non bitters. ;D ;D Most people I know using bait are having an tought time of it, except jacks of course. Hooked many fish today but no coho salmon, that I saw, that were on the end of my line anyway.

BBarley

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 07:20:39 PM »

I saw a guy take two hatchery coho this afternoon and I'm positive I had one on as well as a big spring. We we're both fishing the same thing..... and it wasn't roe ;D

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 11:14:59 PM »

This is a good year for springs so far so if there has been lots of sockeye and springs then one would think  that there will be a good # of coho.I know its still early  but we will soon find out.
Managed to get out today to check up on the numbers of springs in the system, got to agree with you on the high numbers of springs in the system.  I checked the Vedder crossing, Peach, Lickman and the train bridge areas, all these places had springs stacked up.  Some places was thick with them as I was short floating with roe and accidentally foul hooking their dorsal fins.  A beautiful day it was in the sun.

scuntor

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 06:45:30 AM »

My roe was getting robbed yesterday by these smolts Chris has been on about. Frustrating! At least I know something likes my first roe cure attempt.

gman

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 09:18:29 AM »

Use colorado blades to catch more coho (less springs though).

burnaby

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 11:08:53 AM »

Coho are nice this year, so many large chrome fish. Landed three yest. , 2 hatch, 1 wild.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 01:46:46 PM »

The trick now a days is to try and make them bite. Not like the old days when we had great coho salmon days. One wonders is the hatchery raising non bitters. ;D ;D Most people I know using bait are having an tought time of it, except jacks of course. Hooked many fish today but no coho salmon, that I saw, that were on the end of my line anyway.

Switch to fly fishing, Chris! Coho like flies better than goo. ;D

prairiefire

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 11:04:12 AM »

Switch to fly fishing, Chris! Coho like flies better than goo. ;D
;D
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

HappyHooker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 11:43:05 AM »

Hi Milo

any suggestion on what flies and line weight would work in the vedder ?

thanks

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 11:19:39 PM »

Hi Milo

any suggestion on what flies and line weight would work in the vedder ?

thanks

An 8wt will cover you on the Vedder for pretty much everything from coho to chum to springs. 8 or 9wt line depending on if you want to overline it when throwing heavy tips. The thing is to either buy a multi tip or make your own so you can pretty much cover any of the water there. Milo and I will be out there tomorrow with the fly

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 07:30:30 AM »

The coho numbers are higher this year compared to the years before judging by the reports and hatchery returns.  The ratio of wild fish to hatchery seems to be 2 to 1 this year.  Check the hatchery out if you have time, lots of fish returned thus far.
Video for your enjoyment I took while fishing on slower days...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f95VzCuJAH4

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 09:21:23 AM »

The coho numbers are higher this year compared to the years before judging by the reports and hatchery returns.  The ratio of wild fish to hatchery seems to be 2 to 1 this year.  Check the hatchery out if you have time, lots of fish returned thus far.
Video for your enjoyment I took while fishing on slower days...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f95VzCuJAH4

Judging by the number of wilds I had to release this year, you are probably right.  What camera did you use for your underwater video?  I just bought a Kodak playsport and itching to try it out for some HD underwater videos.

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 07:18:44 PM »

Judging by the number of wilds I had to release this year, you are probably right.  What camera did you use for your underwater video?  I just bought a Kodak playsport and itching to try it out for some HD underwater videos.

Use Olympus Stylus 850 SW, looking to upgrade to Olympus Stylus 8010.  Have fun with your kodak playsport

burnaby

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 12:18:52 AM »

Frustrating but ntl sure nice to see all those large chrome wilds this year. Strong wilds means a sustainable healthy hatchery.