Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack salmon and Fraser commercial fishery  (Read 9467 times)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack salmon and Fraser commercial fishery
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 10:26:30 PM »

Its not greed,its called survival,alot of local businesses have had to layoff staff in these tough economical times.This record run of Sockeye could not have come at a better time for alot of the local businesses.

A well run business should not rely on a bumper crop of fish to survive.

Its called sink or swim. Trimming the fat. Survival of the fittest.

I am far from a conservative, but if your business is relying on a 1 in 100 year return of fish, perhaps you are in the wrong field.

Actions speak louder than words.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 10:40:17 PM »

The key is providing a balance. Suggesting that DFO shut down the entire sockeye fishery because you think our resources are being mismanaged is just naive. DFO understands that there is a percentage of the Upper Fraser coho stocks that will be a by catch, however they have determined that percentage is expendable. The lower number of jacks on the Thompson is probably not a conservation concern for the Thompson spring run either. As far as the effect on a hatchery fed river that can be replaced by raising more fry, that shouldn't be a concern in the bigger picture.

I really don't understand how a certain percentage of an endangered stock can be expendable. Perhaps alwaysfishn has a greater understanding of population statistics than myself  ???

I'm all for giving the commies their fair share of the cake but having sockeye openings this late is akin to the lower Fraser chum fishery. Sure its fine when they can sell their catch to the fish mongers for commercial processing but what about the guys selling fish out of their pickup trucks for ten bucks a pop. I guess no one has thought of the appetite for cheap sockeye we are creating. Guess what, everyone who is buying fish for ten bucks a pop is going to want to do the same thing next summer. Too bad the runs will be significantly smaller. No problem though since there is another group people can buy fish from off the side of the road.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 11:26:10 PM »

I really don't understand how a certain percentage of an endangered stock can be expendable. Perhaps alwaysfishn has a greater understanding of population statistics than myself  ???

I'm not sure I can help you understand it any better. Understanding something like this requires looking at all sides of the situation. ???

From reading some of DFO's reports they determine what an acceptable by catch of an endangered stock is. For the upper Fraser coho I think their science determined that this run can survive a 5% hit.

While I am critical of some of DFO's management practices, they have the responsibility of protecting the wild salmon. They would have an easy job if they could just say no to the economic opportunities that a run like this presents, however the politics (and economics) says they can't do that. I see it the same as any environmental assessment for a new mine, a new development, a new pipeline etc. In most cases there is some detrimental effect to the environment. Saying no would be easy, but it would also shut down the economic opportunity which means jobs and taxes.

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

burnaby

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 02:11:34 AM »

Nothing we humans consume have zero impact. Driving to fishing, using electricity have tons of negative impact yet we never think twice. The quoted DFO's 5% impact on endangered stock sounds like a balanced tradeoff for the sockeye harvest opportunity.

Do you realistically believe the expected 10 million sockeyes that was caught/consumed would not have been replace by other forms of meat had the socks being close. Everything we consume has an impact.

Hats off to those that get to fishing on human power (bike or hike) which I guess is less than 1%.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 07:15:11 AM »

A well run business should not rely on a bumper crop of fish to survive.

Its called sink or swim. Trimming the fat. Survival of the fittest.

I am far from a conservative, but if your business is relying on a 1 in 100 year return of fish, perhaps you are in the wrong field.

Alot of people hurting in this economy...never said they depended on a once in a 100 yr run of sockeye.I can say with certainy it sure has helped alot of people,been a shot in the arm for alot of businessis.Theres no denying that point.The sporties are finally getting a fair shake concerning this record run of sockeye.We fight to be allowed to fish and now we fight to get us shutdown.I be alot more concerned with the bag fleet mopping up at the mouth of the river then a few anglers not knowing a bull head from a coho.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 07:08:26 PM »

newsman there is no bad season as steelhead season is a year round thing.
[/quote]

Really? Where?
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Fish Slayer

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 08:16:46 PM »

newsman there is no bad season as steelhead season is a year round thing.

Really? Where?

Right here in good old British Columbia.

alwaysfishn: I was wondering do you have some sort of educational degree in which you come up with these numbers and percentages? Some sort of link to a government website which you are getting the numbers from?

Aren't endangered species supposed to be protected to the furthest extent? That is the impression that I have always been under, maybe someone here could shed some light on that for me...

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 09:27:05 PM »

alwaysfishn: I was wondering do you have some sort of educational degree in which you come up with these numbers and percentages? Some sort of link to a government website which you are getting the numbers from?

Aren't endangered species supposed to be protected to the furthest extent? That is the impression that I have always been under, maybe someone here could shed some light on that for me...

3% coho exploitation rate is stated right on the DFO website:

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=127889&ID=recreational

Go here to read all the Fishery notices:

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=search_results&lang=en&ID=recreational&Year=2010
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 09:30:10 PM by FishOn »

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 05:44:13 PM »

Right here in good old British Columbia.

Gotta agree. I've caught steelhead every month of the year but may.