Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack salmon and Fraser commercial fishery  (Read 9468 times)

Fish Slayer

Chilliwack salmon and Fraser commercial fishery
« on: September 12, 2010, 08:38:38 AM »

This year has been very depressing I'm thinking largely due to the commercial openings in the fraser. The number of coho that I have usually landed at the time is not even a 1/4 this year.  :-\

Robert_G

Re: Chilliwack salmon and Fraser commercial fishery
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 01:20:09 PM »

This year has been very depressing I'm thinking largely due to the commercial openings in the fraser. The number of coho that I have usually landed at the time is not even a 1/4 this year.  :-\

100% correct...Although the commercial fishery supporters here would tell you that you're just a lousy fisherman ::)
I've been out the Vedder this year and with minimal success. The river has seemed empty at times.
It should get better soon though...now that the commercials are done raping the early Coho/Jacks/Springs bycatch that would be heading up the Vedder.

buck

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 04:54:23 PM »

Coho numbers are down at the the hatchery and the few that have showed up have net marks . I'm sure the commercial openings for sockeye are have a large impact on all other stocks including the endanger Cultus run.

Fish Slayer

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 10:02:12 PM »

There are fish to be had if you know where to look, sadly yesterdays fish all had net marks on them as well  :( just more proof that the sockeye fiasco & DFO's mismanagement is destroying our rivers.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 10:18:40 PM »

There are fish to be had if you know where to look, sadly yesterdays fish all had net marks on them as well  :( just more proof that the sockeye fiasco & DFO's mismanagement is destroying our rivers.

That's quite a connection....   want to explain that?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Fish Slayer

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »

That's quite a connection....   want to explain that?

The connection is that coho that I have seen are COVERED in net marks I wonder how many already endangered interior coho have parished due to the greed of the money that sockeye bring in commercially. Also the greed of the bottom bouncers out there that need to fill their freezers with sockeye and I'm sure the odd coho (aka spring as they're called on the Fraser gravel bars) or the coho that they shake and bake in the sand before kicking back to the river. Who's to blame for this? DFO and their mismanagement of OUR resources! The sockeye snaggery should have closed September 1st or the September long weekend at the latest, it is just ridiculous how the fish stocks are treated and handled.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 11:42:33 PM »

I noticed a decrease in the chinook jacks in the Thompson River this year too but maybe that is just a coincidents as I thought they would not get caught up in the nets in great numbers because of the size factor, will have to check their catch totals.

fishnjim

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 07:04:29 AM »

way less chinook jacks this year compared to last year on the thompson.

roeman

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 07:14:17 AM »

When looking for floater sockeye for sturgeon bait on the long weekend, picked up three coho floaters in one day...Probably not a good indicator of what the nets are doing...
Are you fishin or catchin

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 07:29:13 AM »

3 coho floaters...did you keep them and tuen them into to DFO?  or at least report them?  Thats a significant number.  I wonder if comercial or native netters would throw a netted coho (dead) back into the river in order to avoid having to report by catch of an potentially endangered stock?   

But hey, as several people on this board have pointed out, this is a historic sockeye run and we deserve ours too  :-X

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 07:32:50 AM »

The connection is that coho that I have seen are COVERED in net marks I wonder how many already endangered interior coho have parished due to the greed of the money that sockeye bring in commercially. Also the greed of the bottom bouncers out there that need to fill their freezers with sockeye and I'm sure the odd coho (aka spring as they're called on the Fraser gravel bars) or the coho that they shake and bake in the sand before kicking back to the river. Who's to blame for this? DFO and their mismanagement of OUR resources! The sockeye snaggery should have closed September 1st or the September long weekend at the latest, it is just ridiculous how the fish stocks are treated and handled.

I don't know what you do for a living Slayer, but the thing that drives 99% of the businesses out there happens to be greed! The sockeye fishery is a business. You could be more tactful and say that the money that people earn in order to feed and house their families is the incentive that drives them to do the best they can. It is still greed.

Most businesses out there have a negative impact on the environment due to their "greed". Are you suggesting all mining and forestry, hydro, etc. be shut down in the province because of it's impact on "our resources"? Or are these resources not a concern for you because they don't directly impact you like fishing does?

The key is providing a balance. Suggesting that DFO shut down the entire sockeye fishery because you think our resources are being mismanaged is just naive. DFO understands that there is a percentage of the Upper Fraser coho stocks that will be a by catch, however they have determined that percentage is expendable. The lower number of jacks on the Thompson is probably not a conservation concern for the Thompson spring run either. As far as the effect on a hatchery fed river that can be replaced by raising more fry, that shouldn't be a concern in the bigger picture.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

burnaby

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 01:36:21 PM »

Don't know about you folks but I've had my share of fun Sock fishing this year so YUP it's time to close off everything that may impact the Vedder Coho. SHUT EVERYTHING ELSE DOWN  ;) :D ;D  This friendly msg bought to you by another greed less Coho fisher.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 04:26:53 PM »

I don't know what you do for a living Slayer, but the thing that drives 99% of the businesses out there happens to be greed! The sockeye fishery is a business. You could be more tactful and say that the money that people earn in order to feed and house their families is the incentive that drives them to do the best they can. It is still greed.

Most businesses out there have a negative impact on the environment due to their "greed". Are you suggesting all mining and forestry, hydro, etc. be shut down in the province because of it's impact on "our resources"? Or are these resources not a concern for you because they don't directly impact you like fishing does?

The key is providing a balance. Suggesting that DFO shut down the entire sockeye fishery because you think our resources are being mismanaged is just naive. DFO understands that there is a percentage of the Upper Fraser coho stocks that will be a by catch, however they have determined that percentage is expendable. The lower number of jacks on the Thompson is probably not a conservation concern for the Thompson spring run either. As far as the effect on a hatchery fed river that can be replaced by raising more fry, that shouldn't be a concern in the bigger picture.
Its not greed,its called survival,alot of local businesses have had to layoff staff in these tough economical times.This record run of Sockeye could not have come at a better time for alot of the local businesses.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 05:23:19 PM »

I find this thread to be like the bitch I hear over our lower mainland weather.

All through the fall, winter, & spring there is a segment of society that bitches about the rain, then when the sun comes out in summer they are the first ones in the pool bitching about the heat.

The pessimist will find the flaws in everything. The optimist looks for solutions.

"When Life hands you a bag full of pits, start planting fruit trees!"
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Fish Slayer

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 08:34:43 PM »

A strong successful business isn't run by greed, it's run by intelligent people who know how to successfully run a business. Sure mining, forestry and hydro have negative impacts on the environment, however if done properly the impacts will and can be minimal. This "sport" fishery is far from being done properly. Well alwaysfishn once the Thompson steelhead are gone, the once great coho runs of the interior have vanished and the hatchery enhanced rivers are the only rivers that get dismal returns of coho yet plumes of chum still return I'm sure you'll still think that it's something other than the group of individuals that are supposed to be directly responsible for maintaining our resources that caused the collapse. I guess you're right I'm just naive and care far too much in sustaining our resources for the future generations...

newsman there is no bad season as steelhead season is a year round thing.