Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hey Sockeye people  (Read 11121 times)

BBarley

Hey Sockeye people
« on: September 10, 2010, 03:24:22 AM »

I just want to post this to see what happens,

Everyone is taking them home like it's no tomorrow.

Looks like the PSC and DFO have allowed a Total Allowable Catch of over 15 million. Considering the ultimate run size is estimated at 34 million, we need a survival ratio of 2:1 to have a duplicate of this year. Can we all hope for 2014?

Looks like the ultimate factor is now, and what happens later can be dealt with. Lets not forget that millions of tax dollars are going to fund this response.

So what do you expect in 2014?

Think 34 million will show up? Think everyone will have a field day on the sockeye for two months?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 03:31:08 AM by BBarley »

bcguy

Re: Hey Sockeye people
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 08:02:10 AM »

I just want to post this to see what happens,

Everyone is taking them home like it's no tomorrow.

Looks like the PSC and DFO have allowed a Total Allowable Catch of over 15 million. Considering the ultimate run size is estimated at 34 million, we need a survival ratio of 2:1 to have a duplicate of this year. Can we all hope for 2014?

Looks like the ultimate factor is now, and what happens later can be dealt with. Lets not forget that millions of tax dollars are going to fund this response.

So what do you expect in 2014?

Think 34 million will show up? Think everyone will have a field day on the sockeye for two months?
We didnt have this many Sox return (4) yrs ago or 4 yrs before that, or before that..., so we will most likely not see this amount in 4 yrs either. No point in ranting on about it with the recreational sector, most of the allowable catch goes to FN & commercial. Salmon have always been harvested, and will continue to be, as long as they are there. Sounds like the question you need to ask is, what is an acceptable escapement to ensure a productive return?
And if DFO knew the answer to that question, we wouldnt have an inquiry already costing us millions of $$$
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

ShaunDoe

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 01:41:11 PM »

We didnt have this many Sox return (4) yrs ago or 4 yrs before that, or before that..., so we will most likely not see this amount in 4 yrs either. No point in ranting on about it with the recreational sector, most of the allowable catch goes to FN & commercial. Salmon have always been harvested, and will continue to be, as long as they are there. Sounds like the question you need to ask is, what is an acceptable escapement to ensure a productive return?
And if DFO knew the answer to that question, we wouldnt have an inquiry already costing us millions of $$$

Actually the DFO has several in depth models and formulas to decide how to manage the total allowable catch. Problem is that nature doesn't prescribe to the same formulas lending to failure in the system from time to time. I do know that 1% is the minimum required escapment to reproduce your brood stock (conservation, not enhancement).

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 01:47:42 PM »

Rather than guessing what the return of sockeye will be four years down the road (too much can happen between now and then), I'd like to ask my fellow anglers to keep their eyes wide open and on the lookout for potential coho and (gasp!) Thomson steelhead incidental catches on the flossing bars.

If you notice that the fishers upstream and downstream from you have little clue about what they are doing, please make sure it is not a coho or steelehead they are dragging out of the water for the rock shampoo treatment. :o

Thanks very much in advance.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 07:40:56 AM »

ShaunDoe...where do you get your info from?  "I do know that 1% is the minimum required escapment to reproduce your brood stock"  so water your saying is that DFO could allow a harvest of 99% and there would still be enough fish to sustain a run?  That doesnt seem very likely to me, care to explain a little more or elaborate this statement?

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 01:39:39 PM »

Rather than guessing what the return of sockeye will be four years down the road (too much can happen between now and then), I'd like to ask my fellow anglers to keep their eyes wide open and on the lookout for potential coho and (gasp!) Thomson steelhead incidental catches on the flossing bars.

If you notice that the fishers upstream and downstream from you have little clue about what they are doing, please make sure it is not a coho or steelehead they are dragging out of the water for the rock shampoo treatment. :o

Thanks very much in advance.
Sorry to say...its not my job to educate and police other anglers.Thats DFOs job! Tryed doing that a few times before and was threatened by some goons...not worth getting your head bashed in over a fish.No thanks

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 02:21:16 PM »

Sorry to say...its not my job to educate and police other anglers.Thats DFOs job! Tryed doing that a few times before and was threatened by some goons...not worth getting your head bashed in over a fish.No thanks

Dennis, educate and berate are two different things.  Most people will listen and learn if you approach them politely and positively...

I'd also venture (politely) to say you might want to reconsider your stance that "it's not your job" to educate other anglers.  As an angler, and as a human being, I believe it most certainly IS our job to educate others, especially when it comes to situations like this.  Part of the problem in today's world, at least in my eyes, is all the people who just fend for themselves and look the other way when something bad happens.

When did we become a society of ego-centric individuals rather than a society of people who function as a community?   ???

Tex
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 06:24:13 PM by Tex »

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 04:07:17 PM »

The DFO's job it may be, but there is no way that they can completely over see everyone's fishing (or really even come close). It should be everyone's job to at least attempt to educate the other anglers (and meat fishers) to shortly put it as Tex said.

Your mentality is pretty selfish and narrow minded, I'm glad Tex and myself could educate you.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 09:19:45 AM »

I'm glad Tex and myself could educate you.

Information is not education untill it's digested.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 05:12:11 PM »

Information is not education untill it's digested.

elaborate..

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 05:25:06 PM »

elaborate..

He's saying I can lecture a class full of students with all sorts of valuable information, but they're not getting educated unless they absorb the knowledge I am sharing and learn from it.  Otherwise I may as well be spewing verbal diarrhea.  LOL

Basically, we can provide important info about the fishery, but if no one listens and changes as a result, we've done nothing to educate them.
:)
Tex

Fish Slayer

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 07:45:30 PM »

Too many people think their way is the right way and that they're doing nothing wrong.

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 09:16:39 AM »

It has to start someplace.  If only 1 out of a hundred get 'educated', its a start in the right direction. This individual may then attempt to 'educate' others.  And so on. It will never happen overnight.  Like anything else - it will take time. 
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

burnaby

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 10:22:05 AM »

No kidding, how many crusades survive by that concept. In the cavemen era it was simple, last one standing is correct.

Good thing socks are close so no need to interpret who's right and wrong. By these discussion one would guess we didn't have laws, regulations and COs.
Too many people think their way is the right way and that they're doing nothing wrong.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 10:22:29 AM »

The DFO's job it may be, but there is no way that they can completely over see everyone's fishing (or really even come close). It should be everyone's job to at least attempt to educate the other anglers (and meat fishers) to shortly put it as Tex said.

Your mentality is pretty selfish and narrow minded, I'm glad Tex and myself could educate you.
Educate me to what?...Not my job to educate other people,if they cant tell a sockeye from a bullhead then they shouldnt be out there fishing now should they?