Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Latest Sockeye Update  (Read 8457 times)

Navy Seal Fisherman

• I'd rather be here
The only easy day was yesterday

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Re: Latest Sockeye Update
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 10:25:03 PM »

There are so many fish they are going to bring in the seine boats off the Fraser for 50 sets on the 9th and 10th and scoop up maybe another 6 million fish.    I am really choked that the recreation limit remains at 2.    Who is responsible for that?

Navy Seal Fisherman

• I'd rather be here
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 11:21:20 AM »

I'd have to agree with you. they are allowing for 4 sockeye to be retained in other areas and are allowing the commercial fishermen multiple harvesting openings. Why not allow every rec fishermen to retain 4 ,  for a period of time, and then close it as the coho are coming in.  I think it comes down to incompetency on the part of DFO, politics, and greasing the palm.

The word I hear, inside source, confirms the Sept 19 rumour. Now why would that not have been published in the fisheries notices? Again I say, I think it comes down to incompetency on the part of DFO, politics, and greasing the palm.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 11:31:03 AM »

Difference in daily quotas between salt and freshwater is due to the coast wide recreational allocation quota, 5%. Fishing effort and catches are significantly higher in the non-tidal portion of the Fraser River than other areas. The daily quota therefore is kept at two so all fisheries can remain open for as long as you have been seeing.

The fishery opening remains open until further notice. A closing date has not been announced because there are uncertainties when managing this. Fishery managers would like to keep it open as long as possible if all other requirements are satisfied (eg. total incidental kill of interior coho salmon remains below 3%, total seasonal sockeye catch remains below allocation quota). If a closing date is posted then suddenly it is required to be closed earlier, then it causes complications. That being said, expect to see a fishery notice very soon.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 12:58:25 PM »

Geesh greedy people or what!!!!!!!How many fish do you freakinng need?This sick opening has been long enough:(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 01:54:29 PM »

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 01:58:29 PM »

Geesh greedy people or what!!!!!!!How many fish do you freakinng need?This sick opening has been long enough:(

I need lots.

You shouldn't fish if you're sick.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 02:02:51 PM »

Its ok I have not been;)

Navy Seal Fisherman

• I'd rather be here
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 02:44:57 PM »

I am not sure who you are referring to when saying greedy. I'd be curious to know how many fish you got in your freezer. That said a limit of 4 does not imply any greed. What it does however,  is to allow you  to catch your quota of fish in fewer visits to the river. It allows you to give an extra few away to friends and relatives. It saves you on gas etc. If you wished to have 12 in the freezer, you could then luckily make only 3 visits instead of 6. ( I kept the math simple)

Poachers however will catch whatever they want, irregardless of the limit. There lies the greed.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 03:02:40 PM »

People in general! I have ZERO fish in my freezer,Well thats not true exactly I have guts and parts for crab and sturgeon bait;)As for the four fish,,,fewer trips and save gas go get them from the docks its cheaper and you will have to make no long  trips!This is one of the longest opening that flossers have had,so in a month if you went four times that 8 fish (and thats just sockeye) how many do you need?I would not call them all poachers either this is the kind of people that this fishery brings out!People who know or care less as long as they can snag there fish:(

koko

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 03:20:53 PM »

Get yourself a good boat can handle the Frazer, spend more gas than your car, so you can keep 4 fish.

FishOn36

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 08:09:35 PM »

Get yourself a good boat can handle the Frazer, spend more gas than your car, so you can keep 4 fish.

Not worth it imo, better off buying them from superstore or where ever..

burnaby

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 09:15:34 PM »

4 would have been nice. On best days takes 10 minutes, on worst no more than an hour to get 2, then what, catch & release, bad idea, go home, kinda wanna fish a little longer.

Too bad DFO can have so many commerical/FN openings but can't allow 4 in non-tidal Fraser.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 08:23:41 AM »

4 would have been nice. On best days takes 10 minutes, on worst no more than an hour to get 2, then what, catch & release, bad idea, go home, kinda wanna fish a little longer.

Too bad DFO can have so many commerical/FN openings but can't allow 4 in non-tidal Fraser.
Sadly there are a lot of clueless sockeye fishermen that CAN'T get 2 fish in less than 4 hours.  If they were to fish for 4 fish, then they'd be out there for 8 hours...  More crowding, more heat stroke, more short tempers.

So you catch your 2 fish in 10 minutes... head out to the Chilliwack airport and have a nice burger and a slice of pie before heading back.  Gather agates...  Make it an outing.

Buck_wife

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 11:28:17 AM »

making sure your fish is on ice in a cooler while you eat and explore  :D....unless you have acquired a taste for a very simple recipe of "Homemade Fish Soup in a Garbage Bag"  :-X