Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Chilliwack River hatchery marked coho salmon did you retain in fall 2010?

1 - 5
6 - 10
11 - 15
16 - 20
21 - 25
26 - 30
31+

Author Topic: 2010 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 113088 times)

vancook

• Old Timer

Heading out monday morning. How has the water been looking? still dropping and clear? Bringing my friend out who lacks proper gear..so looks like I might be forced to fish the beako spots...anywhere he wont have to get wet...perhaps the canal? Will be a first for me, havent gone in there since last february. If anyone has suggestions or advice feel free to send it my way lol. Pm or email, I dont expect public posts.
tight lines

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties

Why not just take him bar-fishing where he doesn't need all the necessities, as long as "you" have waders and such , you'll be fine. At least you can enjoy yourselves that way , instead of struggling to find a spot where he can fish. Bar fishing is good right now,why suffer? Personally I wouldn't go to the Vedder if I was restricted to where I could fish, cause my partner didn't have the gear, but that's just me. Have fun what ever you decide and good luck!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 10:50:03 PM by Bently »

FishOn36

Heading out monday morning. How has the water been looking? still dropping and clear? Bringing my friend out who lacks proper gear..so looks like I might be forced to fish the beako spots...anywhere he wont have to get wet...perhaps the canal? Will be a first for me, havent gone in there since last february. If anyone has suggestions or advice feel free to send it my way lol. Pm or email, I dont expect public posts.
tight lines

Pretty low and clear today  :-\

vancook

• Old Timer

Why not just take him bar-fishing where he doesn't need all the necessities, as long as "you" have waders and such , you'll be fine. At least you can enjoy yourselves that way , instead of struggling to find a spot where he can fish. Bar fishing is good right now,why suffer? Personally I wouldn't go to the Vedder if I was restricted to where I could fish, cause my partner didn't have the gear, but that's just me. Have fun what ever you decide and good luck!
I know been thinking of that option, I've had some success barfing the tidal Fraser when I couldn't commit to a day on the vedder. No big fish yet but some coho jacks so far.
We'll see what happens.

kindalonismo

Beautiful day on the river today, clear and cold.  Now time for some rain to keep th fish moving  :)

A couple of really dark chinooks which were quickly released and didn't see much being caught.

What colours of wool/hook size are guys using to target coho?

Banny

Very small piece (think size of single spring egg) of peach and/or pink on a size 2 and size 4 hooks resulted in some beauties to the beach this weekend for myself and a few others fishing beside me.

FishOn36

What colours of wool/hook size are guys using to target coho?

1/0 Red Gamakatsu hooks with orange wool.

mattyo

Do those who use wool use it so the fish cant see your hook coming? ;D. May I suggest using roe or blades, I can almost guarantee you more coho than fishing wool. I'm not trolling for and argument here just some friendly advise.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer

Very small piece (think size of single spring egg) of peach and/or pink on a size 2 and size 4 hooks resulted in some beauties to the beach this weekend for myself and a few others fishing beside me.

Nice meeting you this morning Banny! DFO came by right after you left.  First time i've seen them in years.  We left shortly after you.

Yes a pea sized tuft of pink/peach wool is the ticket though this morning we hooked lots on roe.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 05:23:01 PM by Stratocaster »

Banny

Come on don't start that crap, short floating a piece of wool takes fish.   Sure roe and blades may work better but it is a perfectly legitimate way to fish, and certainly not flossing/lining if done properly.  

Banny

DFO came by right after you left.  First time i've seen them in years. 

Saw the truck parked when I was walking out but did not see the officer.

mattyo

Banny, read my last sentence! ::)

Good to hear the presence of DFO on the river. ;D

Banny

I read your response, it was the one above yours, should have quoted it.

kindalonismo

Thanks so much for the info Banny/FishOn/Mattyo/Strato,

I really appreciate the information.  Looking forward to getting out again this week and trying get a couple of those beauties to the beach

Cheers Fellas

CohoJake

• Old Timer

Saw a 27 lb (he used our scale) chrome spring landed in the lower river on Saturday, and lost a chrome one (or more) myself, so there are still fresh springs around.  Coho action seemed much slower - need rain!  I didn't have any trouble landing chum, though (even got a nice chrome doe that I would have kept had the river not closed to chum on Friday).  Still no action for me on roe.