Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Got Salmon??, Want to donate some to the Homeless????  (Read 7059 times)

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
Got Salmon??, Want to donate some to the Homeless????
« on: September 04, 2010, 09:09:28 PM »

I know this sounds a bit weird, but my wife and I were talking and thought it might be nice for the fishing community to donate some of the fish we have been catching to the homeless. What we are thinking is that we contact a food kitchen like the Union Gospel Mission and see if they would be willing to cook up a bunch of Sockeye if we can get enough of them for the homeless. We figured that this would be AWESOME due to the HUGE amounts of fish that are being caught, why not try to help those that are in need.

I was wondering, would anyone here be willing to give up a few fish to help feed the homeless? If you are, let me know and I will try to see what we can come up with. As of now, this is in the planning stage as we need to contact a few soup kitchens and see if this would fly.

I will update this thread in a day or so to let you guys know if this will fly or not

Thanks

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Got Salmon??, Want to donate some to the Homeless????
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 09:14:37 PM »

As much as I think your heart is in the right place I dont see this flying. Non perishable items are usually recommended when dealing with these types of places or at the least pre packaged items. If any of the recipients were to get sick from the fish their would be a whole bunch of problems.

Doesnt hurt to give them a call but to be honest it would be better suited coming from a commercial fisherman than a sports fisherman. With commercial fisherman they atleast have a license to harvest their fish. Sports fisherman only have a right to harvest fish for their own consumption.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 11:28:47 PM »

i commend you for your desire to help the homeless...but unfortunately, that act would be illegal, just like it would be to give a bystander fish you caught.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 12:21:49 AM »

I don't think it is illegal. Fish caught sport fishing cannot be sold. What you do with you fish is up to you.

buck

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 08:44:20 AM »

R3pflyfisher

Time to shut sockeye fishery down. Anglers have had more than enough time to take their quota of fish. People are now abusing the number of fish they are killing.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 09:15:14 AM »

R3pflyfisher

Time to shut sockeye fishery down. Anglers have had more than enough time to take their quota of fish. People are now abusing the number of fish they are killing.

What does that have to do with donating fish to the homeless soup kitchens? 

I think it may be difficult to donate fish for the reasons mentioned above. Good on you for the thought though...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 09:16:49 AM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 09:20:31 AM »

What does that have to do with donating fish to the homeless soup kitchens? 

I think it may be difficult to donate fish for the reasons mentioned above. Good on you for the thought though...

Rodney posted on another site that its not illegal to donate your catch. So that information I posted about that was incorrect. So now its just about finding out from the soup kitchens if they are willing to accept the fish.

I sure hope they can but to be honest how many of us caught more than we can eat over the period of a year? If you did than you were being greedy. It would be nice to see some donated by both the commercial sector and the natives.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 04:23:41 PM »

Well said Brian.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

FraserFishing

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 06:31:19 PM »

Yea I agree if the fish gets people sick it causes lots of problems. I'm not sure if the kitchen would take the fish, it's not packaged but I don't know they may accept it. Nice of you to think of that

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »

Well, I just got off the phone with the Union Gospel Mission in Vancouver.

They said that they would be MORE THAN HAPPY to recieve a donation of Sockeye (As long as it is Frozen) to help feed those less fortunate. I spoke to them about coming down to help with the dinner as well, and they said that it would be OK, but they need to know how many people would like to come in and help out the day they serve it.

So;

-If you want to donate a Fish,or two, please PM me and I will make sure we get them to the Mission.
-Also, if you would like to help out serving, PM me so that I can give them some Idea of how many people would be interested in helping out.

Thanks again everyone!!!!

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 05:54:55 PM »

Glad I was wrong. Good luck with this Rick.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 06:20:41 PM »

Well it is a start,and kudos to you for starting this. But it also seems like  a perfect time to feed the homeless with the sockeye that are overruning the processing plants. Seems like a win win for everyone as they get to donate fish to the needy and prevent it from going to waste. Have the various missions and places that provide food to the homeless made it known to the media that they are willing to accept these types of donations?  Going to individual fisherman is one thing, but approaching big business could net them months upon months of a food supply to feed the homeless and disadvantaged in the Lower Mainland.

StillAqua

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 08:52:49 PM »

Have the various missions and places that provide food to the homeless made it known to the media that they are willing to accept these types of donations?  Going to individual fisherman is one thing, but approaching big business could net them months upon months of a food supply to feed the homeless and disadvantaged in the Lower Mainland.

It's an interesting idea. Distribute some "surplus" fish. But I remember what killed the old CKNW Orphan's Fund herring sales. It was a similar charitable idea......DFO issued a special license to catch herring for sale with proceeds going to charity. The courts ruled that DFO didn't have the power to issue a licence that directed how the fish or proceeds were going to be used or to finance fish management work because the fish "belong to the people of Canada". And no commercial fishermen was willing to use their limited individual quotas to donate their catch for obvious reasons. But a fish processor could donate some of their product.....you listening Jimmy Patterson?

spoiler

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 01:21:43 PM »

I agree with Buck. I just spoke with a long time First Nation friend and he was quite upset that some of his fellow First Nation fishers have been dumping their unsold catches.  The other thing he said was that there is such a glut of Sockeye being sold that in some cases the prices are as low as $3.00 per fish.

cohojoe

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 03:53:18 PM »

It seems we have abundances of many types of food that go rotting in the fields and orchards and now fish that might go rotten if not processed correctly either by sports,  commercials,  FN,  etc.    I am sure folks in other parts of the world who go hungry all day would love to have our problems in Canada.    Can you imagine what we could do with all that  Okanogan fruit that goes unpicked or fallen on the groiund.     Make  fruit leather .   How about making salmon jerky ?   Commercially of course.    That way it is legal and conforms to health and food production standards.     I would go for something like that.    Then the food can be released for consumption at a later date safely.    Whether for the food bank folks,  FN people,  or whomever.