Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye Hero shots  (Read 11064 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Sockeye Hero shots
« on: August 30, 2010, 01:02:06 PM »

Boy... some of you thought people posing HERE with their sox were bad "Hero" shots...

I was googling around and this one came up:

http://legendlodge.com/images/pics/sockeye1.jpg

Yeesh.  :o

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Sockeye Hero shots
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 01:20:01 PM »

Boy... some of you thought people posing HERE with their sox were bad "Hero" shots...

I was googling around and this one came up:

http://legendlodge.com/images/pics/sockeye1.jpg

Yeesh.  :o

Dang flosser!  There is no way that sockeye would have bitten his fly!  ;D  :D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 01:30:19 PM »

Dang flosser!  There is no way that sockeye would have bitten his fly!  ;D  :D
I'm surprised he can pick it up without it crumbling in his hands!  ::)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 01:52:19 PM »

Dragonspeed - was this picture taken from an American guiding site ??

i ask this because if you look at alot of the pictures on american sites you will find its more about the size of the fish than its cleanlyness like here in BC. I was looking at a few sites a couple years back and couldnt believe the boot springs they had pics of and boasting about how big they were. So i looked further into it and its done with every specie from pinks through to steelies.

just watch the Americans when it comes to keeping fish here in our BC streams/rivers. They want the biggest they are allowed to have no matter the darkness (usually) unless its dropping its baby juices/eggs everywhere  :-\

Example - i helped an American gentleman (great guy) land a rather large spring on the Vedder last year, he was thinking to keep it when i explained he should wait for a "cleaner" one to keep because the meat will be of better quality. He listened and agreed with me and within 20mins had a nice chrome fish that was slightly smaller but would be of better table fair.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 02:07:47 PM »

I just went and looked at the base URL.. yes - it's an Alaskan lodge.  http://legendlodge.com

Here's another pic from their site:

This one had the caption "Sliver Salmon"

Not so silver  :-X

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 02:15:53 PM »

are you not aware of the names that Americans have for some salmon species

if i remember correctly they only call Coho and Springs other things

coho = Silvers

springs/chinook = Kings

just like i stated, they like taking pics of boot fish however to them these arent "boots" To each their own right
Check out our new blog

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 02:27:50 PM »

are you not aware of the names that Americans have for some salmon species

if i remember correctly they only call Coho and Springs other things

coho = Silvers

springs/chinook = Kings
Oh yes.  I just couldn't help but point out the irony in the name given the poor fish's state.  :)

I guess it doesn't matter to the fish when it gets caught and killed... it's still dead.

bluenoser

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 03:08:56 PM »

Not sure if Sockeye bite anything but a Chum Zombie's still hit a Purple jig when they are too gross to touch.

The Stave in late October is kind of like Pet Semetary for fish.

Fish Slayer

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 05:46:11 PM »

Yankee talk:
spring = king
coho = silver
sockeye = red
chum = dog

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 12:48:16 AM »

Being a "Yank" Im feeling a lil offended.I definately dont have the same standards as what you are posting.Ive caught my share of tyee "King" Springs on the sacramento river.Not boots either ever actually.But im assuming the "characters" pictured @ this alaskin? lodge probably hail from salmonless midwest america and havent a clue what a clean salmonoid represents.Theres ignorant and uneducated people everywhere not just america im sure 5 min. on google i could pull up some canadian boots being glorified. ;D
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 12:57:03 AM »

ok Cali, I challenge you to find 3, YES 3 pics of boot fish glorified on Western Canadian guiding websites  ;)

I predict you probably wont find any especially 3.

Oh and darkened up steelhead do NOT count because a kelted steely will mend and head back to the ocean and then return to do it all again  ;)

and dont be offended about this subject because your american. Did we say "all" americans are like this, pretty sure none of us have ................. yet  ;) LOL
Check out our new blog

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 06:54:06 AM »

ok Cali, I challenge you to find 3, YES 3 pics of boot fish glorified on Western Canadian guiding websites  ;)

Not that you were challenging me but the first link i clicked on while googling, I found a fraser valley guides website that showed three fanged up, army tank green bared up chum that the anglers were quite proud of  ;)

I get your point, it is not as common but to someone not from a salmon bearing area, they would be proud to catch any salmon. I have even had no fishing friends respond when I told them I caught a coho, "oh yeah, too bad you didn't catch a salmon" They don't even realize there are different sub species.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 07:17:39 AM »

I predict you probably wont find any especially 3.

Oh and darkened up steelhead do NOT count because a kelted steely will mend and head back to the ocean and then return to do it all again  ;)

and dont be offended about this subject because your american. Did we say "all" americans are like this, pretty sure none of us have ................. yet  ;) LOL

LOL boot steelhead do count. its pathetic when guys get hero shots with them.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 08:32:14 AM »

I have even had no fishing friends respond when I told them I caught a coho, "oh yeah, too bad you didn't catch a salmon" They don't even realize there are different sub species.
Yup!  Friends from non Pacific Salmon areas asked me if I had some strange laundry fetish when I kept talking about "socks"  ::)  No idea.

Spiznack

• Dominion Lending Centres Alta Pacific Mortgages
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 09:46:28 AM »

Almost every local guide site has pics of ugly Chums.  In the states the ugly fish don't get kept either.  Just something to catch.  I also see lots and lots of pictures out of the Squamish area of people with their red cohos.  Honestly this is common for all salmon fisherman.  First of all the unique colors of a spawning fish are worth a photo if you are not from the area.  Not everyone is blessed with the great salmon runs that we have and to those in other parts of the US or Canada catching these fish can be a great experience. 

Here are your three pics from a well known local guide service STS:
(i don't know how to post pics so here are the links to the website....)

http://www.guidebc.com/photos/photosalmon.asp

Check the bottom 3 fish out on page 1!  I would say those are boot fish.  You gonna eat those? 

This is not an American vs. Canadian fisherman thing.  We all do it.  Just go to the Stave in October and look at all the guide boats out there catching Chum boots!
For Mortgage advice call Carlos @ 778-846-2567