Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Panko Sockeye Sticks - You and your kids will love em  (Read 4013 times)

Navy Seal Fisherman

• I'd rather be here
Panko Sockeye Sticks - You and your kids will love em
« on: September 06, 2010, 01:41:59 PM »

I'd love to share a short story with you all. Perhaps you too will have the same experience. My kids don't really care for seafood. Calamari at Earl's is a hit, but anything else i have to force feed. Fish sticks go down once in awhile but not a hit.

Two weeks ago I had my kids on the river with me and my son 10 was able to land a sockeye when I passed him the rod. The next day I told them we would have salmon for dinner to which my son said, "yuck, I hate fish". I responded with, "Well you got to try the fish that you caught"...son, " ok ok". Well the ok ok was a small break through.

I cut the salmon into fillets and then into 2 inch strips from head to belly. This allowed me to pull out any other bones I might have missed when filleting. I spiced them with salt, garlic powder, onion powder and dill seed (blended into powder). The aroma was amazing. Threw them into flour, egg bath (with the same spice mixed in) and then into Panko.  (Panko’s crustless bread is coarsely ground into airy, large flakes that give fried foods a light, crunchy coating. The flakes tend to stay crispier longer than standard breadcrumbs because they don’t absorb as much grease).

We pan fried them in olive oil and served with salad. My son loved them and the daughter ate without a word, no left overs (usually she follows my son in complaining). They were good after putting them in the fridge. The next day they were still crunchy and enjoyable cold. We will be having them again tonight.

Let me know if you have the same experience. Cheers
The only easy day was yesterday