Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How productive will the upper Fraser be this weekend?  (Read 6354 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
Re: How productive will the upper Fraser be this weekend?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 03:26:09 PM »

The river will close faster than a bank at 4pm as soon as the first of the interior coho start to show up.   The consensus is that no bycatch of them is acceptable.

here here, I am assuming the fraser is closing after the long weekend with the expected interior coho run to start showing any time now. Monday will be my last trip to the Fraser  as I'll be either working the rest of the week  and then off camping in tofino for the long weekend. soon I will be able to hit the smaller rivers again with my pin in hand.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 05:26:31 PM »

Saw tons of boat around Portman Bridge on Thursday. Guess what? Albion test fishery which is above Portman has only 14 sockeyes the day after. Looks like the boats sucked out most socx. Weekenders should have a tough time to get their fish, but I guess you can catch those smallies which escaped the nets, probably with net marks all over. Good luck.

Morty

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 07:43:10 PM »

Here's some data to help you figure out your plan:

- migrating Fraser sockeye travel at 1.5 to 2 km/hr in the lower Fraser    http://faculty.forestry.ubc.ca/hinch/Hanson%20et%20al%202008.pdf

- it's 110 km. by water from the mouth to Island 22 (130 to Agassiz/Rosedale, 160 to Haig/Scale)

- commercial ended at 8:00 pm Thursday night

- high tide at New Westminster was aprox. 8:00 pm Thursday night.

Get those calculators going
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 07:51:16 PM »

I just picked up my outboard from Bridgeview and I overheard a native commercial fisherman who was getting his boat serviced, say that there is an opening at 6:00am tomorrow morning and he's going out first thing in the morning...not sure if that will have an impact or not, just thought I'd pass on the info

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 08:47:37 PM »

Does it really matter how productive it will be?
Just go out and enjoy the day.

Someone who gets it ;)

Makaveli

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 11:54:01 AM »

i am planning on taking my dad to pegleg or pipeline this sunday to floss, i am using 17lb mono suffix line. do you guys think its sufficient?
you come in peace, you leave in pieces...

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2010, 12:41:53 PM »

Could be a little light if you go to a place where there are a lot of snags. You will end up losing a lot of gear with the light line, as you try to get back your gear from where you have snagged up.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2010, 12:51:22 PM »

When out for a drive this am around Gill some people said very slow but on a stop at the Agassiz Rosedale bridge saw a party of two with 4 fish, also F/N drifting.

I am happy with my 15 lb chinook from Thursday, will wait until next week to go bar fishing again when things should improve some. :-\

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2010, 01:15:20 PM »

i am planning on taking my dad to pegleg or pipeline this sunday to floss, i am using 17lb mono suffix line. do you guys think its sufficient?

I would never use mono bouncing for sockeye - there are so many snags.

You may be alright if you use a very light leader (main line should be heavier than the leader) but your leader should be at least 20lb.