Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: smoking and canning salmon  (Read 10289 times)

lovethewater

smoking and canning salmon
« on: September 23, 2010, 11:24:41 PM »

I have a couple question about canning  salmon. 

When smoking / canning..

Once the smoking process is complete do you let the fish sit before canning?

Do you add anything to the can (salt or seasoning) to the jar before canning?

Also, if canning unsmoked sockeye, what do you guys lie to add to the can? 

Do you remove the skin first?

I have also heard of people cutting the sockeye into steaks as the bones will dissolve and add extra calcium / nutrients to the final product.  Is this recommended?

Does the unsmoked sockeye need to be brined first?

Thanks for your help..i am doing my first batch this weekend with the new pressure cooker...

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: smoking and canning salmon
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 11:50:47 PM »

1) I like to add a pinch of salt or whatever seasoning to the jar before canning.

2) I leave both the skin and bones in

lovethewater

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 11:56:34 PM »

FA, thanks for the reply.  Do you add salt or seasoning to the smoked as well as the frozen (thawed) fish?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 12:10:09 AM »

I've never canned smoked salmon. Some people like to add a teaspoon of vinegar to the jar prior to canning. Helps to soften the bones but it's not really necessary.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 12:18:02 PM by Fish Assassin »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 07:01:36 AM »

I always add a teaspoon of white vinegar to the jar as well as 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a few peppercorns. I put the fish in bones, skin and all. The vinegar helps dissolve the bones so there is no crunch left in them.

I've never canned smoked salmon but have heard you can get the same effect by adding a bit of liquid smoke to the jar before you can it.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

HARLEY

• flyfishing
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 01:58:25 PM »

I always add a teaspoon of white vinegar to the jar as well as 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a few peppercorns. I put the fish in bones, skin and all. The vinegar helps dissolve the bones so there is no crunch left in them.

I've never canned smoked salmon but have heard you can get the same effect by adding a bit of liquid smoke to the jar before you can it.

If you wish to can smoked salmon the process is totally easy. Undersmoke the salmon to be canned by about 20%--the reason being that you need to bring the canned smoked salmon up to 10 lbs. pressure for the jars to seal thus you are actually re-cooking the fish. If you totally cook the fish by your regular method of smoking and then cook again to seal the jars the result is a very over cooked product. Once you get your smoked salmon to the desired flavour, take the fish off and put in sterile jars, you do not have to cool the smoked salmon first, be sure that the lips of the jars are perfectly clean-this is a must for the jars to seal properly and do not boil the lids as this affects the sealing process of the sealant on the lids, simply pour boiling water over the lids before you apply to the jars and put the jars of your salmon in a boiling hot water bath for ten minutes to create pressure in the jars to seal them. The end result is very good. If you wish a real treat--Try the canned smoked salmon in any creamy pasta sauce. GOOD LUCK.

lovethewater

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 10:22:44 PM »

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the tips.  I ended up canning the sockeye with a pinch of salt and some brandy and it was delicious.  the smoked salmon was great too, but with what I ate, and am going to give away to friends, there wasn't enough left to can!  That just means I will have to go out and catch more fish so there is some around for the holidays.
Thanks again...