Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing Pin Bones  (Read 4501 times)

BBarley

Removing Pin Bones
« on: September 21, 2010, 09:37:43 PM »

Now that everyone on here has had a couple months to hone their filleting skills, I thought I'd ask this now.

For those of you that pull the pin bones out of your fillet, do you notice that your taking a nice little chunk of meat along to top portion of the bone?
Is there any preferred way of preparing the fillet that will allow you to avoid taking any excess meat from your fillets? Even when I pull along the grain with fish tweezers, I still manage to yank a little ball of meat out and it really scars the finished product.

Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Removing Pin Bones
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 09:50:54 PM »

If I cook the salmon fresh then I expect to lose a little meat when I pull the pin bones. Pulling the bone to the side first then out sometimes works.

The bones come out much easier if I freeze the fillet and then pull the bones after the fillet defrosts. The pin bones also come out more easily if the skin is removed from the fillet first.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 10:06:45 PM »

It is inevitable that you will lose a little meat while pulling out the pin bones.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 06:26:25 AM »

Start at the tailwards end Use a good quality pair of needle nose pliers.Pull each consecutive bone out in line with the previous.Pulling back into and along line left by previous.Gasp each bone firmly then rotate the pliers 30 degrees before pulling evenly toward the tail.This will not completely eliminate meat loss but cuts down on damage and improves the fillets esthetics's.
Riverman

Navy Seal Fisherman

• I'd rather be here
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 04:29:21 PM »

I use surgical scissors, long and skinny, they lock at the grip. I find them better then pliers as they don't slip off the bone... in case you are wondering , I don't lock em  ;)
The only easy day was yesterday