Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snagging sockeye salmon  (Read 8110 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Snagging sockeye salmon
« on: August 19, 2010, 10:24:42 PM »

I went fishing this evening, at Garry Point Park of course. ;D A couple of days ago a pretty big pikeminnow greeted my 4wt, which was nice. I wanted to see if I could get another one on the tiny fly, but also had my sockeye gear with me (not betties ;D but spinning rod, spoons etc) just in case because they have a tendency to hang in the shallows just after high tide to avoid the strong outgoing current.

The southeasterly wind was a bit strong so most of the spots were unfishable with the fly rod. I reached almost the end of the park and was greeted by Al (tell your son thanks for digging the pit beside me, I almost stepped in it and tripped ;D ). While chatting, he told me that there were people snagging on the other side, where I was just about to go. It's a side canal where salmon have a tendency to stage back once the tide starts going out to avoid the strong current. I went over there after we chatted, sure enough, a few individuals were going at it and sockeye salmon were jumping once awhile in the bay.

Out came the cel phone to file a report at RAPP of course, then the camera followed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwvT2-T9NR8

Some were obviously aware of what they were doing. No need to keep turning around and look at me for approval.

Too bad, with a few fish holding that bay, there was a good chance that one of those would hit a fly or lure. I'm sure the same people, if not more people, will be back tomorrow if anyone else wants to go check it out. Just walk to the far end of Garry Point, can't miss it.

Update: It appears that this video has stirred things up a bit, but the wrong person has been taking the heat. ;) Somehow, people are assuming Marco at Nikka Fishing and Marine was behind this video. Not sure where that idea came from, but it is completely false. I encountered people who were trying to snag sockeye while fishing, was not pleased with it, took the video myself and decided to point out an existing problem in this area. I work hard to promote and improve recreational fishing in this community in many projects so I take personal offence when I see people choose to break the rules.

I do not know who the individuals are in the video so to think there is a personal agenda behind this video is absurd. I'm curious why some have chosen to make this a problem with Marco or the store. Just so it is clear, neither Marco or Nikka Fishing and Marine has anything to do with it. If you have a problem or concern with the video, you are welcome to email me at info@fishingwithrod.com to discuss this further.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
Re: Snagging sockeye salmon
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 10:53:49 PM »

Rod thats nothing!You see the piling on the far side?Go check that out if you want to see some snagging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Tide goes out fish get stuck,use the two hook rip and tug tecnique and viola sockeye ::)

mykisscrazy

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 10:57:56 PM »

Maybe they were using Buzz Bombs or Sting Szildas or Deadly Dicks. How long were you watching them? Did you report them? If so the Steveston Office is not far away, no one came to have a look?

If not I guess they were too tired after patrolling the Commercial Fishery in the Fraser yesterday that caught a little over 220,000 fish in 5 hours.

The whole sockeye fishery just brings me down. Every group fighting over them and in the end the fish do not get the respect they deserve.

We all should be ashamed.

BBarley

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 11:06:05 PM »

Wow, 220,000 fish taken out in 5 hours.

Looks like DFO is allowing the commercial guys to make up for the last 3 years.

bbwong

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 11:10:51 PM »

I saw the same guys there 3 days in a row when I was biking. I did call DFO everyday but it seems nothing happened. May be they did not get any luck then DFO have no evident to charge them. If any one saw them. KEEP CALLING!

bluesteele

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 11:18:31 PM »

Call ....as well as a good verbal barb  ;)

Sometimes you gotta speak up and a good verbal lashing too embarass the offender works well.

Will be poppin in with the cam.

WooHoo !!!

bbwong

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 11:19:28 PM »

They were not using Buzz Bombs or anything but 2 bare hook above a sinker. >:( >:(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 11:32:39 PM »

Rod thats nothing!You see the piling on the far side?Go check that out if you want to see some snagging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Tide goes out fish get stuck,use the two hook rip and tug tecnique and viola sockeye ::)

Yep, have been over there before too and watched the show.

Maybe they were using Buzz Bombs or Sting Szildas or Deadly Dicks. How long were you watching them? Did you report them? If so the Steveston Office is not far away, no one came to have a look?

If not I guess they were too tired after patrolling the Commercial Fishery in the Fraser yesterday that caught a little over 220,000 fish in 5 hours.

Out came the cel phone to file a report at RAPP of course.

;)

I wasn't expecting officers to show up since most of their work now is focusing on elsewhere. Some of my calls have been attended before, some have not. It keeps me calling in whatever I see, whether the violation is big or small.

Oh yeah, that's not how you fish a buzz bomb.... ;D

The whole sockeye fishery just brings me down. Every group fighting over them and in the end the fish do not get the respect they deserve.

We all should be ashamed.

Yep, in the end, the only losers are the fish when all user groups justify their actions by laying the blame on each other.

I saw the same guys there 3 days in a row when I was biking. I did call DFO everyday but it seems nothing happened. May be they did not get any luck then DFO have no evident to charge them. If any one saw them. KEEP CALLING!

Keep phoning in. All reports are recorded so frequently reported areas will be attended more often in the long run.

alan

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 01:28:09 AM »

at least the girl looked good in her shorts ;D

BBarley

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 02:05:58 AM »

Nothing like snagging salmon in booty shorts.... ;D

tworivers

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 08:57:49 AM »

Based on that video, it appears that their attempt to snag yields poor results.
I think more damning video would have included hook up, hook location to body part, and retention.
I'm sure DFO will follow up with some form of enforcement.

Nitroholic

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 09:12:52 AM »

Looks like a normal day on the cap

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 10:22:47 PM »

It appears that this video has stirred things up a bit, but the wrong person has been taking the heat. ;) Somehow, people are assuming Marco at Nikka Fishing and Marine was behind this video. Not sure where that idea came from, but it is completely false. I encountered people who were trying to snag sockeye while fishing, was not pleased with it, took the video myself and decided to point out an existing problem in this area. I work hard to promote and improve recreational fishing in this community in many projects so I take personal offence when I see people choose to break the rules.

I do not know who the individuals are in the video so to think there is a personal agenda behind this video is absurd. I'm curious why some have chosen to make this a problem with Marco or the store. Just so it is clear, neither Marco or Nikka Fishing and Marine has anything to do with it. If you have a problem or concern with the video, you are welcome to email me at info@fishingwithrod.com to discuss this further.