Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Now the Fraser Is Feeling The Wrath, Of Garbage Dumping  (Read 5691 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Now the Fraser Is Feeling The Wrath, Of Garbage Dumping
« on: August 15, 2010, 03:49:45 PM »

The hordes of people are sure turning the popular sockeye areas into garbage dumps, I wonder if those that fish sockeye will organize some cleanups when they close?

Count me out on this one although I have put up a couple of bags at a small area they are working at Gill.

It is getting smelly as well as they donot know any better to throw the innards in the water when they clean the fish. ???

Maggots on a pile of fish offal.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 04:57:38 PM by Rodney »

speycaster

Re: Now the Fraser Is Feeling The Wrath, Of Garbage Dumping
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 11:51:18 AM »

Hey maybe the bears will show up, that could be a lot of fun. ;D

alan

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 02:30:28 PM »

I don't see how difficult it is to just clean the fish in the water.  They would have to rinse the blood off of the fish anyway after they clean it on the shore.  No sense i guess.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 09:12:31 PM by alan »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 05:07:04 PM »

The problem is that many of these folks have never fished before. They are mostly decent people trying to catch a fish for dinner and may not have a clue what to do.

Leaving the entrails on the ground is not necessarily an act of not caring, it may just be ignorance as to what to do. I once had a fisherman explain that the reason he was leaving the fish carcass on the ground was so that the seagulls could finish it up....  Rather than complaining about them, do like Chris does and do something constructive like putting out some garbage bags. Take some time and go around picking up some garbage yourself. When you see someone leaving a mess talk to them in a respectful way and help educate them.....

It will amaze you how quickly people will learn from that and start having more respect for that environment as a result.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 05:56:50 PM »

Its digusting the amount of garbage at gill right now, and unfortunately thats only one area of many.

It wont be long till there is gate up, ruining it for the rest, and the same people making the mess will wonder what happened.

Why is it so hard to pack out what you pack in? Even if you don't clean up the extra garbage of others, atleast clean up your own  :-\

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 09:30:03 PM »

Being sarcastic here,  but maybe some of these folks should do their salmon fishing at a grocery store.  But seriously, leaving garbage around like that is going to attract all types of garbage eaters including bears.  I have fished up North, and maybe I was not looking hard enough, but you never seem to see this type of problem up there. Might have something to do with four footed bears, called Grizzlies. If you tried some of these stunts you see down here up North, I am sure you would become the most unpopular camper at the campgrounds and be told so face to face by others.

BBarley

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 09:44:59 PM »

The amount of garbage I've seen on the Vedder/Chilliwack is pathetic. In regards to salmon carcasses, it's not the most pleasant thing to look at or smell, but it is biodegradable. Lived up north most of my life, never seen as much as a fraction of the garbage I've seen down here.

Just today I saw about 3 plastic bottles and a bag of Doritos headed down the Fraser, along with tons of garbage along the shores....

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 09:15:07 AM »

We all notice these issues with garbage every summer - grab parties, irresponsible campers, and this year the sockeye fishery too.  I tell you...its a mentality that goes along with the sockeye fishery...as we have all agreed, its a meat fishery and I think the attitude and behaviors of the average sockeye fisher are very different than the average sport fisher targetting coho in the fall or steelhead in the winter and spring months.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 01:14:10 PM »

Garbage problem exists everywhere.  Have you guys ever seen Stave Lake Recreational area utilized by certain activity group?  It's a NITEMARE!!!  Let's stop pointing finger just at certain group user.  It's a responsibility all of us need to be aware of.

lovetofish

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 01:26:34 PM »

Garbage problem exists everywhere.  Have you guys ever seen Stave Lake Recreational area utilized by certain activity group?  It's a NITEMARE!!!  Let's stop pointing finger just at certain group user.  It's a responsibility all of us need to be aware of.
Bingo!  Think back a few weeks ago to the Celebration of Light and the huge pile of garbage that average joe public left on the beach in one evening. And then again and again each night of fireworks. 
The couple of bars I have been on have been fairly clean.

Other than the smell of fish entrails on the beach, doesn't this put nutrients back into the environment rather than being washed out to sea. You can read many reports where the decaying salmon carcasses are supposed to be supplying nutrients to the surrounding forests etc.
 And no I don't clean my salmon at the river, I do it at home and compost the offal.

maverick

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 12:54:30 PM »

Chris if that is a picture of maggots then wow, that's a lot of maggots. On a side note that seems to be couple of filleted sockeye and it looks like they have left a considerable amount of meat on those carcasses. It seems they not only do most of those sockeye fisherman need a lesson in taking their garbage home but it seems they could also learn how to fillet a fish to take the meat home too.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 07:10:47 PM »

Chris if that is a picture of maggots then wow, that's a lot of maggots. On a side note that seems to be couple of filleted sockeye and it looks like they have left a considerable amount of meat on those carcasses. It seems they not only do most of those sockeye fisherman need a lesson in taking their garbage home but it seems they could also learn how to fillet a fish to take the meat home too.
Yes I have seen a lot of waste this year like you pointed out from the picture, that happens when there is lots of fish to be taken.

I will be glad to see the end on the 19th but reports of people taking endangered Interior coho with so many new people to the flossing game donot know one salmon from another, this may mean an earlier closure than planned.

Also a lot of greed going on with reports of people taking their 2 sockeye everyday.

Time for a punch card system for sockeye like we have for chinooks, we, as recreational anglers need only so many fish.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 07:13:54 PM by chris gadsden »

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 07:28:26 PM »

Yes I have seen a lot of waste this year like you pointed out from the picture, that happens when there is lots of fish to be taken.

I will be glad to see the end on the 19th but reports of people taking endangered Interior coho with so many new people to the flossing game donot know one salmon from another, this may mean an earlier closure than planned.

Also a lot of greed going on with reports of people taking their 2 sockeye everyday.

Time for a punch card system for sockeye like we have for chinooks, we, as recreational anglers need only so many fish.

Alot of good that will do considering one can print up as many licencses as one wants.Last yr it was the pinks on the Ved and this yr the socks on the Fraser bringing about the hordes of anglers out of the wood work with no clue on proper river manners.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 08:57:52 PM »

Alot of good that will do considering one can print up as many licencses as one wants.Last yr it was the pinks on the Ved and this yr the socks on the Fraser bringing about the hordes of anglers out of the wood work with no clue on proper river manners.
Are not those that would abuse the system be in the minority?

Of course with a change in the provincial government now a certainy before the next sockeye openings in three years time we should be able to change the way this on line licencing system can be abused by those that will do such things.