Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BC Interior Rivers BAIT BAN PETITION  (Read 18272 times)

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: BC Interior Rivers BAIT BAN PETITION
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2010, 02:48:45 PM »

pretty hard to gut hook them using a 3/0 hook....

I wasn't saying it was. My point was that the reasoning behind the justification of the bait ban has changed as each reason gets proved false or invalid.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2010, 07:33:12 PM »

--How about we just ban Experienced fishers from the Thompson... those who catch the majority of fish.
--Only sell licenses to those who demonstrate that they will not be able to catch the fish they have a licence to angle for.

--My personal preference is to not use bait... I do on occasion use scent where bait is allowed. Or as in some USA definitions all soft plastic scent or not is considered bait.

--I don't mind sharing the water with others who choose to use bait where legal.

--Fishing should be open or closed based on numbers of fish required and water conditions.  Either there are enough fish for an opening or not.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2010, 08:13:04 PM »

or some  wash/oregon say artifical olny with the use of scent!

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2010, 10:49:28 PM »

How and when will this miracle happen? What about the people who live in towns like Spences Bridge who depend on the income from steelheaders? You likely know that the river is closed until a minimum of 800 steelhead pass the Albion test fishery.

Chris, unfortunately there are idiots with every gear type. Having a spey rod doesn't necessarily disqualify someone.     

At no time have I ever seen posted results showing these numbers!  My understanding is that it's done using a formula....ie. one fish caught by the test fishery equals a certain number that they think is passing by.  Not very concrete in my opinion... an inaccurate guess most of the time!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2010, 10:39:59 AM »

--I get a little tired of listening to guys that use split shot, weighted flies, spray floatant (no scent on that) and strike indicators claiming to be flyfishers and pushing these bans on all other forms of fishing.
--If you're going to fly fish use a dry fly, floating line and leader and no external weight or lead rapped flies.

--Put in a hatchery as proposed at Spencer's bridge and get stricter on the by-catch in the ocean and lower Frazer.

--Closing the fishery  is just ignoring the problems, it is not a solution.
--The Petition should read... we the undersigned want a sustainable population of steelhead in the Frazer/Thompson river systems. Give us a comprehensive plan with targets and time frame as to how you are going to do this, set aside the money now for the project. 

--If you can show me that this bait ban would be a significant factor in the recovery then I'd go for it but give me a break on these feel good rules that have little effect. If sport fishing is the main problem then ban it, no exceptions. 

bluesteele

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2010, 08:45:13 PM »

BUMP

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2010, 10:14:05 PM »

If you ban bait,then close the river to everyone.Banning bait has no effect on the amount of fish returning.I prefer to chuck spoons on the T and dont use bait.Lets not harrass whats left of a once great fishery.SHUT IT DOWN!

bluesteele

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2010, 10:24:03 PM »

If you ban bait,then close the river to everyone.Banning bait has no effect on the amount of fish returning.I prefer to chuck spoons on the T and dont use bait.Lets not harrass whats left of a once great fishery.SHUT IT DOWN!

Bait has no effect on fish mortality. Wow thats a new one !  I guess you have the science to back that up???  ::)
 You say shut it down but you chuck gear at em.  hmmmm....

So what you are saying is you will fish it as long as it is open but out the other side of your mouth close it?
Guess I dont understand which side of the fence your trying too stand on. Sounds like both. ???

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2010, 01:21:49 PM »

Bait has no effect on fish mortality. Wow thats a new one !  I guess you have the science to back that up???  ::)
 You say shut it down but you chuck gear at em.  hmmmm....

So what you are saying is you will fish it as long as it is open but out the other side of your mouth close it?
Guess I dont understand which side of the fence your trying too stand on. Sounds like both. ???

Im in favor of closing it down.Against a bait ban even though i dont use bait.And will continue fishing it along side you and all the other fly guys who think they should be the only ones allowed to fish, chucking my spoons as long as it remains open.

Fish Slayer

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2010, 10:31:33 PM »

Close the areas around town to protect the stacked up fish that get harrassed and leave the rest the way it is.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2010, 04:00:40 PM »

if you go up there in december you will find flyguys flinging T-14 and lead eyed jigs at those stale fish.

maverick

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2010, 12:34:12 PM »

I don't know about science to back me up but through personal observation from 26 years of fishing the Thompson with bait, spoons and spey I never had one bleeder with bait. I have had one pumper on a fly and two pumpers on a spoon. One on the spoon would have expired soon after since the spoon tore the flesh in the inside of the mouth from the gills forward to the jaw and the fish was in a cloud of blood. That fish was released and it swam away but I don't think there was anyway it lived, I have never thrown a spoon on the Thompson again since that day because I never wanted to have that happen again. On another side note me and a buddy just got back from 5 days on the Bulkley last week and we had 14 steelhead landed all on dry flys, it is all we threw all week long and we had 4 pumpers from fish hooked in the roof of their mouth. None were bleeding really heavy but any blood may be potentially to much. My worst bleeder was hooked around his tongue and it was pumping out pretty good. So maybe we should ban dry fly fishing on the Bulkley next.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 02:49:42 PM by maverick »