Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Meat fishers and casual fishers don't mix.  (Read 9293 times)

Tofino Osprey Lodge

• Tofino Osprey Lodge
    • Tofino Osprey Lodge
Re: Meat fishers and casual fishers don't mix.
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 06:39:17 AM »

These problems didn't exist when there was no sport fishery for Sockeyes. This fishery seems to bring out the worst in people when the overcrowding and greed.

Just my 2cents worth

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 07:40:34 AM »

Easy to have that opinion when your whackin n stackin em deep off of WCVI!!!  ;)

I agree with you though, sockeye brings a lot of nastiness out, I do think the fishery needs to be managed much better.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 08:37:45 AM »

Easy to have that opinion when your whackin n stackin em deep off of WCVI!!!  ;)
LOL - that's one of the first things that came to my mind when I read it too  ;D  :o

Richmond

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 12:19:29 PM »

Easy to have that opinion when your deep off of WCVI!!!  ;)

I agree with you though, sockeye brings a lot of nastiness out, I do think the fishery needs to be managed much better.

I'm whackin n stackin em in front of the south arm. no need to go WCVI,
why waste your time in the wack when the limit is 4 just out front here?

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 12:22:30 PM »

These problems didn't exist when there was no sport fishery for Sockeyes. This fishery seems to bring out the worst in people when the overcrowding and greed.

Just my 2cents worth

it was the same situation last year with the pinks as well

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 01:00:13 PM »

why waste your time in the wack when the limit is 4 just out front here?

Richmond...do you have room on your boat or a beach location and lure recommendation to share?

Tofino Osprey Lodge

• Tofino Osprey Lodge
    • Tofino Osprey Lodge
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 07:37:04 PM »

At least they bite willingly and nobody's hiding them in their car trunk :D

pnKroK

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 07:47:01 AM »

Just thought I'd add my 2cents to this.  Thought of starting another thread, but saw this one and figured its good.

I broke down and decided to join the flossers at Peg Leg last night.  Again, i have no problems with flossing...well, up until yesterday.  Its snagging fish and that what it is.  It should be outlawed and banned for good.

I don't know if there is some general "rule of thumb" out there, but it seems that since there is so much sockeye coming up the river now, the general rules of fishing don't apply anymore.  I've never seen so many foul hooked fish in my life.  I almost felt sick.

I now remember why I don't fish for sockeye anymore.  The attitudes of people and the general feeling on the river was just not a sport-fisherman type at all.  Again, i should have known this too and i've stated that before.  Its a meat fishery and thats what it is.  I don't know why then just don't open it up to everyone and their dog.  They should allow neds and shopping carts and the whole gambit, i mean really...who are we kidding here?

I went out there with the attitude that if i get a sockeye, i'll be happy.  Low and behold, i think i'm the worst fisherman out there because I wasn't able to land a single fish.   I've gotta be the worst out there because you can litterally pick them out of the river and i couldn't get one.  I sure was able to hook other peoples lines tho!! AND WHAT A HOOT THAT IS!!  I've never seen so many red-faced people in my life.  And the great part about it is that people just go along with it and are happy to deal with it.

Oh, and apparently some people own the river.  There were these french-canadian dudes there and they seemed to own the river because they were telling people what to do and to get out of the way and swearing at people for no reason.  I love humanity.

And people say i'm foolish for being a misanthropist.

Regardless, i shouldn't be suprized.  In general, i was just dissapointed to see the lack of respect for nature out there.  These people have no care for the river or what it provides.  NO respect for the rules of fishing.  Can't wait for sockeye to be done, I hope they never come back.  Can't wait to buy some cheap fishing gear when its all said and done.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 07:48:53 AM by pnKroK »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 09:16:39 AM »

Just thought I'd add my 2cents to this.  Thought of starting another thread, but saw this one and figured its good.

I broke down and decided to join the flossers at Peg Leg last night.  Again, i have no problems with flossing...well, up until yesterday.  Its snagging fish and that what it is.  It should be outlawed and banned for good.

I don't know if there is some general "rule of thumb" out there, but it seems that since there is so much sockeye coming up the river now, the general rules of fishing don't apply anymore.  I've never seen so many foul hooked fish in my life.  I almost felt sick.

I now remember why I don't fish for sockeye anymore.  The attitudes of people and the general feeling on the river was just not a sport-fisherman type at all.  Again, i should have known this too and i've stated that before.  Its a meat fishery and thats what it is.  I don't know why then just don't open it up to everyone and their dog.  They should allow neds and shopping carts and the whole gambit, i mean really...who are we kidding here?

I went out there with the attitude that if i get a sockeye, i'll be happy.  Low and behold, i think i'm the worst fisherman out there because I wasn't able to land a single fish.   I've gotta be the worst out there because you can litterally pick them out of the river and i couldn't get one.  I sure was able to hook other peoples lines tho!! AND WHAT A HOOT THAT IS!!  I've never seen so many red-faced people in my life.  And the great part about it is that people just go along with it and are happy to deal with it.

Oh, and apparently some people own the river.  There were these french-canadian dudes there and they seemed to own the river because they were telling people what to do and to get out of the way and swearing at people for no reason.  I love humanity.

And people say i'm foolish for being a misanthropist.

Regardless, i shouldn't be suprized.  In general, i was just dissapointed to see the lack of respect for nature out there.  These people have no care for the river or what it provides.  NO respect for the rules of fishing.  Can't wait for sockeye to be done, I hope they never come back.  Can't wait to buy some cheap fishing gear when its all said and done.

I'm sensing a bit of sour grapes here, maybe because you didn't catch any sockeye ?? .....

The problems you described are there, after all it is human nature in action. However it's no different than much of the crap shown on TV. I have the choice as to whether I want to watch it or not!  ???

You went to the river knowing what you might find. Don't do that and then complain about it.....  Next time make the choice to buy your fish in the grocery store and you'll avoid the very thing that makes you upset.  ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 09:58:57 AM »

Or perhaps simply find a spot that is not so 'popular / crowded'.  :)

It seems that the bulk of the complaints are due to the 'crowded' conditions.   

There are many kilometers of river banks along the Fraser.  A lot of people simple prefer to go to the known accessible and generally snag-free spots as opposed to taking a little time to find a 'quiet' area.
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 10:21:31 AM »

Bottom bouncing can be extremely frustrating especially when you are always snagging up. Coupled that with not catching fish and lines crossing each other, that is when the worst shows up in people. The extreme heat can also get to people.

If you choose to fish sockeye, do some walking. Stay away from the crowds.

A majority of sockeye flossers will never come out again after they close the season.

They do not really understand the reason why we fish.

That is my 2 cents worth.

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2010, 08:34:21 PM »

Problem i have seen is a guy with 2 fish in front of him and his line in the water. The right thing to do is get your 2 and pack up then everyone gets a fair shot.

pnKroK

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »

I'm sensing a bit of sour grapes here, maybe because you didn't catch any sockeye ?? .....

The problems you described are there, after all it is human nature in action. However it's no different than much of the crap shown on TV. I have the choice as to whether I want to watch it or not!  ???

You went to the river knowing what you might find. Don't do that and then complain about it.....  Next time make the choice to buy your fish in the grocery store and you'll avoid the very thing that makes you upset.  ;D

Nope, no sour grapes on my end of things.  I've just got 2 main complaints, one of which is stated above.

You've got millions of people on the river and alot of the people already have their limit....oh sorry....they're there for the sportfishing experience   :P

I don't carea about getting a spot, but give other people a chance that really don't know that much, or are just getting in to it, or are too dam timid to ask for a spot.

The other thing that bothers me is the people that think they own the river, then again i do love those people because its so dam easy to get under their skin.

I do agree with you that i shouldn't complain because i knew what to expect.  I just thought it might have settled down over the years and become a little more civilized.  OH well, it'll all be over in a few more days or weeks.

The funny thing is i couldn't even snag one dam fish!  I kinda thought that was the funniest part of the whole thing.  All these people posting about getting their limit and how dam easy it is.  I even tried to ask one of the dudes to catch me my limit.  No go! haha