Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking to talk to anglers for salmon research  (Read 9997 times)

salmonsurvey

Looking to talk to anglers for salmon research
« on: August 06, 2010, 08:01:51 PM »

Hi everyone!

My name is Vivian and I am doing research around the Fraser River. Unlike the angling study I'm studying anglers.
I am looking to chat with some of you who are fishing for salmon. I am trying to get your opinions and perspectives about the current management and conservation strategies that are in place for the salmon recreational fisheries.
Also looking to talk to you about thoughts on responsible fishing and how we can improve the rec salmon fisheries.
Would love to get all your ideas, inputs and thoughts!

I will be wandering around the popular fishing bars to look for anglers to talk to. Please look for me!

If you are interested you can also contact me through here.
Hope to see you all at the fishing bars :)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Looking to talk to anglers for salmon research
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 08:22:27 PM »

I'll bite.

E-mail me at dougliu@telus.net

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 09:14:30 PM »

Hi everyone!

My name is Vivian and I am doing research around the Fraser River. Unlike the angling study I'm studying anglers.
I am looking to chat with some of you who are fishing for salmon. I am trying to get your opinions and perspectives about the current management and conservation strategies that are in place for the salmon recreational fisheries.
Also looking to talk to you about thoughts on responsible fishing and how we can improve the rec salmon fisheries.
Would love to get all your ideas, inputs and thoughts!

I will be wandering around the popular fishing bars to look for anglers to talk to. Please look for me!

If you are interested you can also contact me through here.
Hope to see you all at the fishing bars :)

Maybe you can share with us what the research will be used for. Who are you employed by?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

salmonsurvey

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 09:52:38 PM »

The research will be used to help bridge the gap between management and the fishing community as well as trying to understand angler's views on conservation of migrating salmon.

I am employed by Carleton University and also working in collaboration with the University of British Columbia. This research is part of my Master's project at Carleton and investigates the social side of conservation.
Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions or concerns!

Thanks!

PS anyone know any fishing spots that will be really busy this weekend?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 10:01:35 PM »

Vivian, good to see that you got the posting worked out. Anyway, I'll mention this request briefly in our Lower Mainland fishing report next week so hopefully that can generate some interests too.

Just a couple more questions. Is the study focusing on a specific fishery in the Fraser Valley such as the Fraser River or its tributaries (eg. Chilliwack River), or focusing on the entire Fraser Valley/Lower Fraser River as a whole?

For this weekend, and next weekend, and the weekend after that, Fraser River between Chilliwack and Hope will be busy. Island 22 maybe a good starting point. It is a boat launched accessed by majority of the boat anglers on the Fraser River. Your challenge would be to get their attention as most will be busy getting their boat either in or out of the water. There are also a couple of foot accessed spots further upstream from Chilliwack, I'll let others to tell you where exactly those locations are as I am not familiar with them.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 10:05:17 PM »

The research will be used to help bridge the gap between management and the fishing community as well as trying to understand angler's views on conservation of migrating salmon.

I am employed by Carleton University and also working in collaboration with the University of British Columbia. This research is part of my Master's project at Carleton and investigates the social side of conservation.
Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions or concerns!

Thanks!

PS anyone know any fishing spots that will be really busy this weekend?

Jones Creek, Pipeline and Scale are probably busy. Bars like Grassy, Wellington, Pegleg and Bouwmans will be busy but you'll need a boat ride to get to them.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

BBarley

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 10:08:28 PM »

If you see a tall guy fishing with a spey rod (two handed fly rod) wearing a camo hat, fishing on either the Vedder or Fraser, feel free to come on over. I'll gladly voice my opinion on my view of fisheries management.

BTW, I think that's a fantastic idea for a Master's subject, if that interests you.

salmonsurvey

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 10:21:53 PM »

Just a couple more questions. Is the study focusing on a specific fishery in the Fraser Valley such as the Fraser River or its tributaries (eg. Chilliwack River), or focusing on the entire Fraser Valley/Lower Fraser River as a whole?

For this current season, the study is focused on the recreational salmon fishery of the Lower Fraser River and its tributaries (basically river mouth to Hell's Gate). I hope that answers your question! thanks !

jeff

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 11:12:40 PM »

I will answer questions hooter_71@hotmail.com
Enjoying the water..........

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 01:24:38 PM »

I am wiling to answer your questions too. Email me at fishingnewsman@gmail.com
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 06:49:50 PM »

salmonsurvey

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 08:57:30 PM »

Thanks guys!
Was out at Scale bar and Snaggy bar today off Hwy7, was pretty busy.
Might be head around Laidlaw tomorrow, so look out for me !

salmonsurvey

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 11:14:15 PM »

Was nice to run into some of you guys today! I will be at Peg Leg tomorrow (thursday), so please come say hi !

Nitroholic

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 07:22:52 AM »

Nice chatting with ya

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 09:42:48 AM »

I would love to share some ideas via email...could you email me?