Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Day Out of 2010  (Read 7531 times)

fishfulthinkin

Re: First Day Out of 2010
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 01:06:57 AM »

that or the creators of sesame street

nosey

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 03:32:56 PM »

It's your right to floss, it's their right to drift net in their opinion you are catching their fish on their traditional fishing ground their families have fished for 10,000 years they are probably just as discusted by you as you were by them. If you were fishing gravel bar that joins a reserve you were actually tresspassing as their land boundaries go to the middle of the river, check a map. Sam Douglas once told me it was his right to fish and it was my privilege as much as I disagreed with him there was no point in arguing as it wouldn't change his mind nor change my opinions, get over it, being indignant doesn't do anyone any good we need solutions not more arguments.

nosey

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 03:40:02 PM »

Btw if anyone ever connects while "bombing with betties" it would serve as a precedence proving that the sports fishery and the native fishery cannot share the same water and would probably end up with the sporties being kicked off the river forever, please don't allow yourselves to be provoked into doing something that stupid.

BBarley

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 03:50:12 PM »

If you were fishing gravel bar that joins a reserve you were actually tresspassing as their land boundaries go to the middle of the river, check a map.

Ever taken a look at the claims all the bands in BC have made??? They claim more land then their is in the province :D:D:D  Technically everyone who isn't "aboriginal" is trespassing on their land :D

IMO, it's about respect, and it seems like that is something missing on the rivers these days. That's why you have all the confrontation, all the time.

nosey

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 05:57:02 PM »

I wasn't referring to land claims I was referring to the way the land boundaries are drawn out right now, non native land boundaries end at the high water mark actually further back on more recent titles, Indian reserves extend to the middle of the river, some  natives will incite confrontation on the advice of their lawyers do not get sucked into it if you see a confrontation take videos they may prove to be valuable evidence to keep sports fisheries alive on the Fraser. In any negotiation you always ask for more than you'll ever have a chance of getting it's the way the courts, work if our governments here in BC hadn't of been so arrogant and deemed the natives not worthy of settling with these treaty rights would have been settled 100 yrs ago like most of the rest of Canada

lovetofish

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 10:00:10 AM »

I wasn't referring to land claims I was referring to the way the land boundaries are drawn out right now, non native land boundaries end at the high water mark actually further back on more recent titles, Indian reserves extend to the middle of the river, some  natives will incite confrontation on the advice of their lawyers do not get sucked into it if you see a confrontation take videos they may prove to be valuable evidence to keep sports fisheries alive on the Fraser. In any negotiation you always ask for more than you'll ever have a chance of getting it's the way the courts, work if our governments here in BC hadn't of been so arrogant and deemed the natives not worthy of settling with these treaty rights would have been settled 100 yrs ago like most of the rest of Canada
You may be right Nosey.  Fishermen, do not let your tempers get the better of you and cause an altercation with FN fishermen.
We will always get the bad press regardless of who started it. Look at all the bad press last year when someone allegedly shot the Chehalis chief with a pellet gun. We can't win a fight in the media. ( We probably can't win this fight anywhere).

coldfinger

• always thankful
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2010, 08:19:17 PM »

::)
thanks for adding a bit of civility and sense to the discussion Nosey.
hopefully if enough is expressed , and with the needed regular frequency,
the thick headed ones may yet hear and head the wisdom of respect and sharing.
BTW...yesterday evening got another nice 25lbs red,  the same lower bar, on a red top silver body spin and glow.

Coldfinger