Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye from shore ????  (Read 12779 times)

oddjob

• woof woof
Sockeye from shore ????
« on: August 05, 2010, 04:33:02 PM »

I have heard fishermen hooking sockeyes while bar fishing , would a sockeye bite a spinner ? If I were to go to dump bar and toss tiny pink spinners or pink blue foxes , would this work . I'm only using dump bar as an example  .

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
Re: Sockeye from shore ????
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 08:07:56 PM »

Maybe Rodney will have some info on this  :P

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 08:24:01 PM »

On you tube it shows fishermen catching sockeye on the Kenai River from shore ,they were fly fishing .

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 09:08:34 PM »

Maybe Rodney will have some info on this  :P

Saw Rodney hooked a sockeye on a spoon once in the lower Fraser.

UFC

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 10:15:26 PM »

I also hooked a sockeye once on a small pink and silver spoon on the lower fraser while fishing for pinks.
It's possible to catch them with hardware, but not going to happen very often. You may get lucky but I wouldn't go and spend a bunch of time with a spoon or with spinners (I've never hooked one with spinners even though I've used them a lot for pinks, when sockeye are also travelling through)..
I've heard people use krill and small red jigs under floats on the Harrison and are able to catch them. It may be worth a try on the Fraser in the lower end.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 10:17:37 PM »

I've heard people use krill and small red jigs under floats on the Harrison and are able to catch them. It may be worth a try on the Fraser in the lower end.

If you can get past all the course fish first

BBarley

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 12:12:37 AM »

On you tube it shows fishermen catching sockeye on the Kenai River from shore ,they were fly fishing .

They're probably swinging heavy sink tips with little flies.

ICA

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 07:31:13 PM »

Some years back, I was fishing at Herrling and the guy next to me was speycasting and catching more Sockeyes than anyone flossing. I could only conclude that they do bite out of instinct and not to eat. Perhaps the key is in using the right fly that triggers that insticnt.

ICA

BBarley

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 10:19:37 PM »

I hope this post doesn't derail this to a general anti flossing thread.

Regardless of whether or not you truly believe a fish is in fact biting/attacking a fly, many fly fishermen can outperform those using BB's and 15 foot leaders.
Fly fishing for sockeye, as I was taught, is all about controlling your line and having the proper sequence every time. In the amount of time it takes a gear slinger to throw out his offering, swing it through the run, then retrieve, a good speycaster can run two swings through the same run. Thus doubling his effective fishing time.

That's the single biggest reason I fish almost exclusively with the spey rod on rivers, it allows me to present my offering quickly and efficiently without the the need for back cast room, and and false casting.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 11:04:38 PM »

Your still flossing ;D

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 07:10:20 AM »

Couldnt be more wrong about the fly guy flossing - the trick is to use a heavy sinktip then a floating fly (one of the muddlers is a good bet) then the line does the hard work of getting down to the fish while the fly dances around in the current and is extremely light - unlike a hook with a gob of roe on!  Meaning it is less likely to foul hook.

While fishing the Vedder for Pinks (albeit with a 10ft single handed rod) I out caught the gear boys 2 or 3 fish to 1 by presenting flys to the Pinks which got them curious/agressive.  This I have just repeated last weekend on the Campbell River over on the Island, way out catching the roe and spin fishermen with a simple gold rolled muddler.

Maybe it's time for a change!?  Try the fly - it is far easier than it looks too - including Spey Casting - and is the most amazing way to take Salmon.
Try the fly!

ICA

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 08:49:06 AM »

Fellas
What is a good fly for Sockeyes? What is the best setup. i do not know Speycasting but i do flyfish and use a 9wt on the river. 

ICA

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 09:02:20 AM »

Yes but the vedder and the campbell are not the fraser.

penn

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 12:21:44 PM »

Fellas
What is a good fly for Sockeyes? What is the best setup. i do not know Speycasting but i do flyfish and use a 9wt on the river. 

ICA
That's just like the old "what color wool is the best for BB" . It just don't matter , neither would it when you are fly-flossing. ;D

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 01:10:54 PM »

I caught one sockeye in the lower fraser on a pink pixee spoon last year and have seen sockeye caught(2) on a skated dry fly on the fraser a few years ago. I think it was just fluke but if it happened once it might happen again. Not sure what the fly was but it was bright. Sure surprised the fisherman when not one but two sockeye went airborne with his fly in there mouth :o anyway they can be caught using spoons, flies, roe and even well presented wool( short floating) but it is a rare occurence and you have to get lucky
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'