Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "match the hatch"  (Read 10532 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: "match the hatch"
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 07:43:56 PM »

Trout in rivers generally eat caddis (larva, pupa and adult), mayflies (nymph and adult), stoneflies (nymph, adult), mosquitos, terrestrials (grasshoppers, ants), salmon eggs and sculpin.  Trout in lakes usually are eating chironomid, leeches, shrimp, dragonfly nymphs, damselflies (nymphs and emergers), mayflies (adults, nymphs), caddis (larva, pupa, adults), boatmen, snails and, depending on the strain of trout, sometimes smaller fish.  Learn to recognize those forms of food, the lifecyles of those food items and what time of year they're present and in what type of water (acidic low nutrient coastal, alkaline interior lakes) and have a couple flies to match what type of bugs will be present in the local size and shade, then watch for those aforementioned food items on the surface and look under rocks on the shore and you'll have a good idea what's present in the body of water to tie on.  Once you get a fish and its big enough, pump its throat and see what it was eating.  Its that simple.

For instance, a quick glance under a rock in a riffle on the Skagit will reveal an abundance of cased caddis larva.  Pull apart the stone cases and you'll find the worm-like larva with a black head and a peach-coloured abdomen.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 08:42:13 PM by Matt »

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 08:10:47 PM »

thanks for the straight to the point tips matt. i mainly fish streams and rivers right now.
and dont really know the names of too many of the bugs yet. so even if i found something under a rock i probably wouldnt
know their fly name.. i'd just go to the tackle store and look for something that looked similar.
im getting to know a few of the main ones tho. i think eventually i'll try my hand at tying (once im frimilar enough) as
im sure it would be cheaper than baying 2 bucks a fly or more. haha ive already noticed that starting to add up
cant leave the fly store without picking up a few ;D

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 08:46:55 PM »

Matching the hatch is often made out to be more complicated that it is.  You don't really need to know the Latin names of the bugs, but knowing the common names and life cycles (caddis, mayfly, stonefly) is quite useful.

jimmywits

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 08:28:51 AM »

thanks for the straight to the point tips matt. i mainly fish streams and rivers right now.
and dont really know the names of too many of the bugs yet. so even if i found something under a rock i probably wouldnt
know their fly name.. i'd just go to the tackle store and look for something that looked similar.
im getting to know a few of the main ones tho. i think eventually i'll try my hand at tying (once im frimilar enough) as
im sure it would be cheaper than baying 2 bucks a fly or more. haha ive already noticed that starting to add up
cant leave the fly store without picking up a few ;D
Page 34 and 35 of the Gilly covered by ALF DAVY for words of wisdom on this subject.