Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fish id signage  (Read 1579 times)

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
fish id signage
« on: July 26, 2010, 12:39:04 PM »

Was fishing a local lake where bull trout, rainbows, and brook trout can be caught. At this lake, only rainbows can be retained and only over a certain size and all char must be released. Noticed that many fishermen were keeping brook trout which are actually a char. I wondered why fisheries/conservation doesn't put up signs helping new anglers be educated about the differences between char and trout. Also, a friend of mine recently witnessed a fisherman kill a huge bull trout in the skagit river which is catch and releaes.
I know that its up to fishermen to read the regs but wouldn't it help with a little bit of signage to help educate new fisherpeople? I am not saying that this needs to be done everywhere but where there is heavy pressure with species that need to be protected. Just a thought.
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: fish id signage
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 01:39:14 PM »

Signage is a great educational tool and I am a strong proponent for them. Municipalities and regional districts seem to always like the idea too but several challenges usually delay or scrap these projects. Vandalism is a major concern because it raises the maintenance cost. Maintenance is needed in order to make sure they are in good conditions. Bad appearance ruins the rest of the area and visitors' experience. Finding the money to fund these projects is also difficult as they are low in priority. When cost is not an issue, then quite often their design become one. For example, several years ago I was able to secure some information kiosks for free from DFO so City of Richmond can install them on piers and parks where anglers regularly access. After many discussions and all seem to be a go, the city concluded that the designs of these kiosks were not suitable for their facilities.

All I can say is give it a go by making a suggestion to whoever is responsible for that lake. It may work or you may end up losing some hair. ;)

On a more positive note, the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC has been pretty proactive on getting educational signs up at lakes that are regularly stocked with catchable rainbow trout. Every municipalities have responded pretty positively when approached with the idea.

Finally, signs are great for newcomers, but they are not going to prevent those who intend to break the rules. In the case of the angler retaining a bull trout on the Skagit River, somehow I think no amount of signs would have changed his behaviour.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
Re: fish id signage
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 07:22:38 PM »

Yup a lot of the signs would become targets:(