Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Neoprene Allergy?  (Read 4971 times)

FishOn36

Neoprene Allergy?
« on: July 25, 2010, 03:04:08 PM »

I've recently got into fly fishing, using a donut tube to troll around in. So far I've gone out twice using my river neoprenes (Protac "River Rat" from Army & Navy) and noticed that after each outing my calves are covered in a red BURNING rash (I've been wearing shorts under my neos when it's hot out like this, for the river I've always worn jeans under them). Now I'm assuming this is due to some kind of allergy to the neoprene material, which I wasn't aware of because I've always worn pants under them. The weird thing is, that I've had these things in contact with my chest, arms etc momentarily and they never broke out with a rash. Initially I thought it might just be from the material chafing against my skin cause they do tend to get quite sweaty inside at times, but I don't think that's the case cause I'm a pretty skinny guy and barely fill up up the neos at all (they're size "L")... they're more loose on me then anything. I could barely take a shower yesterday cause even lukewarm water stings like hell, imagine 100 hornets stinging your legs!

Have any of you guys experienced this?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 03:11:24 PM by FishOn36 »

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Neoprene Allergy?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 03:14:22 PM »

it sounds like a heat rash more then anything mixed with a bit of chafing. If your really that skinny then yes they will chafe not being tight on your legs. Next time you buy waders look into a set of breatheables because they dont sweat inside like neo's, they can also be used with a float tube as well however they may wear faster on the thighs where they will rub the tube
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

FishOn36

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 03:19:25 PM »

it sounds like a heat rash more then anything mixed with a bit of chafing. If your really that skinny then yes they will chafe not being tight on your legs. Next time you buy waders look into a set of breatheables because they dont sweat inside like neo's, they can also be used with a float tube as well however they may wear faster on the thighs where they will rub the tube

Do you have any suggestions for the mean time? I don't really want breathables cause I prefer to be nice and toasty on the river :P I had a hard time trying to figure out which size was best for me in regards to neos, the only snug fitting part on the ones I have right now are the feet lol.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 03:24:32 PM »

my best suggestion would be sticking with pants but get yourself a decent pair of moisture wicking ones so they arent wet at the end of the fishing day, they willl still feel damp however. Im talking about something like Fleece as oppose to sweat pants.

you are actually warmer in breathables if you layer properly, they breath meaning that you dont sweat in them becoiming damp which turns into cold when its cold outside  ;) I have been in -10 ish weather out there in just a Tshirt, sweater and windproof raincoat and have broken a sweat lots while walking for steel.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

FishOn36

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 03:29:26 PM »

my best suggestion would be sticking with pants but get yourself a decent pair of moisture wicking ones so they arent wet at the end of the fishing day, they willl still feel damp however. Im talking about something like Fleece as oppose to sweat pants.

you are actually warmer in breathables if you layer properly, they breath meaning that you dont sweat in them becoiming damp which turns into cold when its cold outside  ;) I have been in -10 ish weather out there in just a Tshirt, sweater and windproof raincoat and have broken a sweat lots while walking for steel.

Damn, it's hot enough in neos with just swimming shorts/socks underneath at this time of the year never mind pants  :( I guess I have no choice at this point.

noxcape

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 03:31:20 PM »

get a thin pair of jogging pants its what i wear under mine and they still feel comfy just my 2 cents

FishOn36

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 03:32:47 PM »

get a thin pair of jogging pants its what i wear under mine and they still feel comfy just my 2 cents

I've got Adidas track pants, I'll probably try those out next time.

gofishon

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 04:24:33 PM »

Track pants are fine, I have done that before, but make sure they don't have any zippers or large snaps. It can get "nasty" ::) if they rub you the wrong way. I have several different thicknesses of "long johns", from heavy fleece to micro thin technical wicking  pants. I layer depending on water/air temp. One other suggestion, try washing the neo's in very mild soap and rinse several times in warm water. Hang to dry out of the sun, reverse them inside out and dry some more. There could be a residue from manufacturing in the material. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

penn

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 07:12:01 PM »

Ok , as a guy who has had far more experience with bad allergic rashes than anyone would want, I can say yes you can be allergic to just about anything . If you want to find out if it is the neoprene take a small piece of neoprene and tape it onto to yourself for a awhile making sure there is nothing else that will interfere with your results . Than let it stay there a until either you get a reaction or a time period long enough to provoke a reaction(that might be a few days) . Do this in spot where a rash will bother you the least , but also keep in mind that your skin varies in sensitivity in different places . Some places you will get no reaction , whereas other places you will . If you get no reaction this way you can rule out the neoprene .