Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lighting lake manning park  (Read 22501 times)

tumbleweed

lighting lake manning park
« on: July 13, 2010, 08:36:05 PM »

Going camping for a week at manning park. Has anyone fished lighting lake? I think you can rent canoes there, I might troll a fly around. any suggestions on what I should be using? Leechs?

gman

Re: lighting lake manning park
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 08:52:45 PM »

There's lots of small rainbows in that lake. Yes, you can rent canoes and trolling a fly will produce. Also just walk along the trails and you can see the trout in the lake, often near sunken logs etc. When you see them - fish there. I'm no expert fly fisherman but any small fly trolled behind the boat, or after a casted torpedo float worked for the kids ok. 
Good luck!

samw

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 12:41:59 AM »

I've caught some by float fishing with worms in the evening from shore near the parking lot.  

« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 12:44:56 AM by samw »

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 04:31:15 PM »

shore across from the campground is a good place to troll. wedding rings and worms. with any luck, u might catch one of those monsters in the lake =D cheers.

gofishon

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 07:22:37 PM »

I think you are on the right track with trolling a fly. Those small rainbows are voracious feeders and tend to swallow the worm too deep to be released. Try any small to medium sized attractor fly like a Doc Spratley. Good luck!

fishman1

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 06:04:14 PM »

I just came back from Manning on Thursday.  Spent a couple days with the kids fishing Lightning Lake.  Dry flies worked great for us.  Small Royal Wolfe or a yellow humpy.  I don't think it matter too much which fly as the trout attacked anything we tossed at them.  We used one fly set up and another spinning rod with a dry fly and a bubble float.  The trout even went after the float!  Best area was across from the boat launch tight to the shore in the shaded areas.  Lots of may flies hatching in the afternoon.  Lots of small ones but we got a few 12" trout.  All released to swim another day.  Lots of fun.

Good luck

tumbleweed

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 10:55:43 AM »

I just came back from Manning on Thursday.  Spent a couple days with the kids fishing Lightning Lake.  Dry flies worked great for us.  Small Royal Wolfe or a yellow humpy.  I don't think it matter too much which fly as the trout attacked anything we tossed at them.  We used one fly set up and another spinning rod with a dry fly and a bubble float.  The trout even went after the float!  Best area was across from the boat launch tight to the shore in the shaded areas.  Lots of may flies hatching in the afternoon.  Lots of small ones but we got a few 12" trout.  All released to swim another day.  Lots of fun.

Good luck
Thanks for the help. Was it cold at night? Just packing our gear, last time we stayed there it snowed....lol.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 10:57:19 AM by tumbleweed »

fishman1

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 05:12:18 PM »

You could say it was cold!!!! :o.  It went down to zero Celsius one night.  Had to sleep with a toque on.  Warm during the day but the temp drops fast at night.  Bring your woolies.

FishOn36

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »

My buddy was there last week, he said he was catching little 6 inchers left right and center on flies trolling, or casting them with a bubble. They were hitting anything he put out there  :-\

tumbleweed

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 04:42:03 PM »

just got back and we caught lots on black dry flies. They were HUGE fish maybe 6-10 inches.....lol, but was a fun time with the kids.

fisher man

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 09:58:14 AM »

Just to comment on the cold at night question.YES it is cold at night "believe me".It was the middle of August and if your not prepared then it is going to be a long night.
Be prepared and have fun