Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tahsis  (Read 2221 times)

hookme

Tahsis
« on: July 20, 2010, 12:57:36 AM »

I'll be fishing the Tahsis area this week first time to fish this place any suggestion on the area and what kind of jig is productive in the area for halibut? and trolling for samon? ???
Thanks in advance for the info! ::)

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: Tahsis
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 11:19:43 AM »

Headed to Tahsis in a few weeks but use a guided boat so I don't know all the particulars.

There is a "bank" where most of the salmon are caught off-shore - about 7 miles out.
You should be able to follow the other boats out at 5:00am.

Otherwise, there is a spot called Ferrer Point that is at the south end of Nootka Island.
You probably want to troll anchovies or large spoons like the "Cop car".

The halibut are out reasonably far like the salmon.
I heard using salt-treated anchovies is also a good bait for salmon - although my guy uses jigs & scent instead.

Also heard pilchards are good bait as there seems to be a lot of them right now.

hookme

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 11:21:17 PM »

Sorry for the late reply but your right that Ferrer point is hot we're just putting sa hootchies and spoon to troll cause every time but some fresh bait dogfish keep on eating them and they are abundant past day before the weekend kinda slow specially at nootka sound but the last weekend and today was hot specially on the highway. 

boscheefish

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 08:33:36 PM »

anywhere out there is good youre on the ocean, always had good luck out in that area, caught many a halibut near the whistle bouy. you can go out 7 or so miles and it can be good, or stay in the bay, around centre island and have good luck too, enjoy the time you have out there good luck!
long live the vedder