Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: where are the co's????  (Read 9683 times)

scales

• I'm a llama!
where are the co's????
« on: July 22, 2010, 11:03:30 PM »

couple of buddies were out fishing over the weekend and saw springs killed that were well over 77 cm.  These fishers were informed of the restrictions and yet kept their catch of the day!!!  They must have deep pockets or simply taking a chance knowing co's are far and few.....very sad.
Another story from AnglingBC forum by steelman:
"Went out this morning to the scale bar to enjoy the first opening on the Fraser River for springs. It was a beautiful morning. Around forty fishermen plying to get their first spring. It was awfully slow though. Saw a totally of four springs landed and only one or two kept that were legal size. There were some sockeye caught and released as well. Witnessed one spring that was caught, dragged on the rock and grabbed through the gills before the fisherman was told that the fish was too big and not keepable. He was informed about the maximum size limit and he vainly tried to revive the fish but it was bleeding and a goner. He promptly drop the fish in the river. Spoiled the whole morning for everyone around that witnessed this event. To top this off, the fisherman who had caught and killed this fish when he was leaving the decided to stop and also pickup and keep this fish. Another fisherman next to me decided to call the DFO and report him."
Think it's time DFO should take some responsibility by positioning co's fulltime at each parking lot/bar.

scotkemp

Re: where are the co's????
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 11:19:01 PM »

i told the rules to a guy at peach road last year when he dragged a chum in from the tail he told me to leave him alone.

Mod: Watch your language.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:31:49 PM by Rodney »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »

thats a little harsh Scotkemp and not even worth typing up here  ::) ::) telling someone the rules is all fine and dandy btu threatening them is not (tisk, tisk)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 01:50:31 AM »

I watched DFO pass me once going up river, and second time going down river. Aswell as running the river in the chopper. Our bar was quiet on opening day though. They can only do so much, the fraser is huge and they deal with so much. We'd all love for there to be more, but sadly there aren't.
Fish killer 101

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 07:33:37 AM »

I watched DFO pass me once going up river, and second time going down river. Aswell as running the river in the chopper. Our bar was quiet on opening day though. They can only do so much, the fraser is huge and they deal with so much. We'd all love for there to be more, but sadly there aren't.
I think they are afraid to get there feet wet  ;D
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 07:44:43 AM »

The CO's are dealing with cutbacks just like most other ministries. In addition, they are overburdened with paperwork which keeps them in the office instead of out in the field. The Minister of the Environment needs to hear your concerns. Keep the pressure on him.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 07:48:25 AM »

The CO's are also very busy right now dealing with problem and agressive bears in urban areas.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 08:35:42 AM »

I have not been checked on the Fraser in 3 years.  What I don't understand though in Richmond there are many RCMP that patrol the fishing areas.  At Triangle Road the RCMP is always driving the road looking for partiers/troublemakers and drive by all the fishers without checking licenses, catches, barbed hooks etc...

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 08:43:31 AM »

The CO's are dealing with cutbacks just like most other ministries. In addition, they are overburdened with paperwork which keeps them in the office instead of out in the field. The Minister of the Environment needs to hear your concerns. Keep the pressure on him.

Can/do provincial CO's deal with salmon fishery violations on the Fraser, or is that the jurisdiction of the federal FO's (Fisheries Officers)?

When you make a well-reasoned, respectful, complaint, you want to address it the right level of government so you are barking up the right tree.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 08:58:08 AM »

--money, money, money

--RCMP wouldn't check licenses unless their department was cantracted and paid to do so. Often they are called in by CO's or DFO if problems with a difficult client.
--same thing Forest Officers could be easily trained to at least check fishing licenses...but would have to have permission from their ministry to use their time to do this... they have also been cut back and can't get all of their assigned work done..I do however believe that... during the course of their other duties... it wouldn't take much time to at least check for a fishing licence. also the knowledge that they could do this may deter a few.
--when forest service personnel wore uniforms they were often approached by fishermen, willing to show their licence or catch numbers especially in the old forest service rec site locations.

--fixed number of DFO so if more on the Fraser then less on Van island checking open ocean fishers etc.
--they do use a floating squad taking a few from different geographic areas and moving them to expected problem areas.
--each time you do this they are working extra hours... thus need to take some time off at some point. also reduced their presence in their home location.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 10:37:29 AM »

Can/do provincial CO's deal with salmon fishery violations on the Fraser, or is that the jurisdiction of the federal FO's (Fisheries Officers)?

When you make a well-reasoned, respectful, complaint, you want to address it the right level of government so you are barking up the right tree.

I believe salmon is a federal jurisdiction

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 09:13:04 PM »

CO's do enforce freshwater salmon regs.   

Remember though, there are very few of them, they cover a large area, they deal with other issues such as hunting, environmental issues, problem animals etc. 

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 09:19:19 PM »

If that is the case then DFO should have kept the fishery closed until July 29th then have a full opening.  Just hate these self regulating openings, does more damage than good. 

lapetitebuse

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 08:49:08 PM »

To top this off, the fisherman who had caught and killed this fish when he was leaving the decided to stop and also pickup and keep this fish

would you rather he leaves the dead fish in the water? If it's dead, it's not spawning!

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 09:16:08 PM »

would you rather he leaves the dead fish in the water? If it's dead, it's not spawning!
Yes, though it might seem like a waste to you, it does feed the ecosystem, albiet sooner than was intended and it's the law.

If I get where you going with this, it would be ok to go fishing with some buddies, hook or land a fish to the point of death and have one of your buddies retrieve and keep your fatal catch and release experiment and justify it because it was dead or about to die?
Go check the river banks in the fall, there's lots of soup starter then.