Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bar Fishing for Red Springs  (Read 4996 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
Bar Fishing for Red Springs
« on: July 27, 2010, 12:28:45 PM »

I was just wondering if I'm wasting my time fishing on the tidal side of the fraser, been mainly in the Langley area bars...all I've caught are pike minnows. I'm sure it's possible to catch chinook on the tidal section of the river but for better results should I be looking else where? Are the water levels for most chilliwack and beyond areas still high and covering the ground? I'm not asking for anyones spots, that's why I've been trying different bars on my own. If you want to throw a dog a bone please use email or private message.
thanks
good luck out there

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
Re: Bar Fishing for Red Springs
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 01:04:25 PM »

Define 'wasting your time'..  they come in with the incoming tides... so timing is an issue.  Of course as the water gets higher, the water moves slower - almost to the point of backwards - your spinner (if that is what you are using) spins slower or not at all if too big / heavy.

They also travel upstream at different speeds.   Subsequently, once they get beyond the tidal boundary (way past Mission), they are now scattered throughout the river as opposed to a 'school'.  To answer you question - better results would be attained further upstram beyond the tidal waters.

However, saying all that - last year, when the pinks were in, I got to the river midday and noticed the tide was almost as low as it could go. I had an hour to kill and figured why not.  Decided to use a #3 blue fox and 15 minutes later hooked on to a 12 pound red spring.  :)
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 01:31:01 PM »

As DavidD stated, it really is personal preference, depending on how much time you are willing to spend etc. Personally I think it is a waste of time for this time of the year. ;D I try it once awhile, until I am reminded that there are thousands of pikeminnows in the summer that love my roe. The chance of encountering one in the Tidal Fraser is slim, but not impossible. A few years ago a friend of mine was able to catch a nice one, but only after spending many hours and lbs of roe doing so. The river is much broader, so fish are pretty scattered out. A better alternative would be to wait until the last two weeks of August, when chinook jack fishing usually becomes quite good. During that period until bait ban comes in effect around the first week of September, roe fishing for them can be pretty hot in the Tidal Fraser.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 07:05:50 PM »

As DavidD stated, it really is personal preference, depending on how much time you are willing to spend etc. Personally I think it is a waste of time for this time of the year. ;D I try it once awhile, until I am reminded that there are thousands of pikeminnows in the summer that love my roe. The chance of encountering one in the Tidal Fraser is slim, but not impossible. A few years ago a friend of mine was able to catch a nice one, but only after spending many hours and lbs of roe doing so. The river is much broader, so fish are pretty scattered out. A better alternative would be to wait until the last two weeks of August, when chinook jack fishing usually becomes quite good. During that period until bait ban comes in effect around the first week of September, roe fishing for them can be pretty hot in the Tidal Fraser.
thanks DavidD and Rod, answered my question perfectly. I've never targeted the Red Spring run before, it was always going out for the coho in the fall fishing in the tidal portion of the river when I was younger. Going out to these known bars and not seeing anyone else made me very suspicious

bcguy

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 09:36:28 PM »

I see plenty of people out bar fishing along River rd out of Fort Langley, seen lots caught, so if your an upper guy, so be it, but you can still get into them below the bridge
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 11:15:15 PM »