Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pike Mountain Hatch Help  (Read 1576 times)

shi man oh man

Pike Mountain Hatch Help
« on: July 04, 2010, 05:58:14 PM »

Hey Guys I am going fishing to pike mountain next weekend. I am not to familiar with hatches. I fished this group of lakes about a month ago and did quite well using pumpkinhead leeches, and also mayflies. Trolling sink line. Just wondering since summer has progressed if any new hatches should have happened, of if different flies might be worth bringing along. any tips are appreciated    thanks guys

gofishon

Re: Pike Mountain Hatch Help
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 11:23:30 PM »

I have fished chironomids in those lakes well into summer. This has been a cool start to July, so a chronie would be my choice. If you hit a hot spell, the evenings could be great with a small sedge also. Good luck.

gofishon

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 11:30:32 PM »

Sorry shi man oh man, my bad. I just realised you said you were trolling a sinking line, so my previous suggestions won't work. Have also done well with bead head leeches and dragonflies. Don't be afraid to throw them a smorgasbord.

shi man oh man

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 05:38:58 PM »

Thanks gofishon   I do also throw the dry line on once in a while so perhaps i will try chronimids, never tried them last time, aside from first thing in the morning, the fish seemed to be sitting deeper. Thanks for your reply buddy

gofishon

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 11:12:45 PM »

If I could offer you one more piece of advice on those lakes...if you have a little skylight left after sunset...keep dragging those leeches real slow.