Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Genetically altered salmon coming to tables near you  (Read 4744 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Genetically altered salmon coming to tables near you
« on: June 27, 2010, 11:02:27 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/26/business/26salmon.html?scp=1&sq=genetically%20salmon&st=cse

Some excerpts:
The Food and Drug Administration is seriously considering whether to approve the first genetically engineered animal that people would eat — salmon that can grow at twice the normal rate...

The salmon was developed by a company called AquaBounty Technologies and would be raised in fish farms. It is an Atlantic salmon that contains a growth hormone gene from a Chinook salmon as well as a genetic on-switch from the ocean pout, a distant relative of the salmon.

Some experts have speculated that fast-growing fish could out-compete wild fish for food or mates.

Mr. Stotish said the salmon would be grown only in inland tanks or other contained facilities, not in ocean pens where they might escape into the wild. And the fish would all be female and sterile, making it impossible for them to mate.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Genetically altered salmon coming to tables near you
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 06:30:37 PM »

This struck me as a major break-through in moving salmon farming out of the ocean and on to land.

They say that these new salmon can grow in almost half the time that ocean penned salmon will grow. I would think this might make it cheaper to raise salmon in inland tanks rather than in the ocean.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

CameronT120

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 09:14:01 AM »

I'd be more concerned about the use of GMO's in our food source than the savings in time for these fish to grow to an harvestable size. 

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 10:59:20 AM »

I'd be more concerned about the use of GMO's in our food source than the savings in time for these fish to grow to an harvestable size. 

I wouldn't be eating them so I don't care.....  ???

What interests me is if they could get the farms out of the ocean and on to land as a result.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 11:09:54 AM »

There was a time when fish ruled the world.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 02:22:13 PM »

There was a time when fish ruled the world.

but the fish kingdom has fallen. long live mammals  8)

anorden

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 09:24:57 PM »

Is there any evidence to suggest escaped farm salmon migrate for food? Agree it wont be good for wild smolts migrating past them but will they outcompete the wild ones in the best feeding grounds?

fish bonk

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 10:39:53 PM »

They say you are what you eat! No wonder we have 6 foot tall 7th graders,  and ten year old girls with hooters. Its just wrong! Not to mention Cancers of every shape and size. :-\