Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rod Building  (Read 7693 times)

Funeral Of Hearts

Rod Building
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:19:39 PM »

I have never built my own rod but i think i would like to try.

Anyone here have any words of wisdom with regards to the materials, equipment or process?

I'm a complete rookie when it comes to this but i love a challenge and it looks like fun. I've done the usual FWR search and the usual google search, im just looking for your two cent. Yes you, the one sitting there reading this....  ;)

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Rod Building
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 12:32:11 AM »

call reaction fly and tackle. 604-870-3591. they do courses every now and again on building rods..i think its 60 bucks for the course and then you pay for materials that you want. Terry will be the one doing the course, hes a good builder and im sure it would be a great way to get started
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 06:37:12 AM »

I am a pretty active hobby builder…I have done maybe 20+ rods now.  I am currently working on 4 different Sages but I also have built up some lamiglas rods that are great.

In terms of components, I think Sages are worth every penny in terms of the fishing experience and the long term value.  My first build was a 3113mb and I learned a lot from it.  First thing was to shape your corks slowly, that’s one stage you can't easily undo!  The cork work on that first rod is OK but subsequent rods turned out much better.  I use a taped up drill bit in the butt of the rod and a roller one the blank to create a lathe!  I usually masking tape up any area that I want to protect from scratches (rod blank area that sits on the rollers, reel seat, etc).

After the cork is on and turned down, lashing guides are the next stage.  My first wrapping station was 2x4 blocks with casters epoxied to them to create rollers and I used a telephone book laid over the thread as a tensioner.  You certainly don’t need a fancy system here but the flexcoat wrapping stations are pretty next and pretty cheap too.  Use some 20lb braided loops to pull your thread.

The final stage - epoxying the wraps...this is another critical stage.  Use syringes to measure your epoxy.  You mess that up and you have a sticky mess that is a pain to undue and will ultimately require you to rewrap the rod.  I have never had an epoxy issue (i.e. in the setting) but I measure 3 times!  Now epoxy can take a while to set so a good turner is important...I borrowed a cheap turner from a friend and the chuck allowed the blank to slip out.  Fortunately I caught it pretty quick and also late in the drying phase but that could have been a redo as well.

Rod building is really not that hard.  Take your time and you will be able to turn out a really nice rod the first crack.  CP’s suggestion of doing a class is a good one, especially if you just want to do one rod…you won’t have to amass all the different tools, buy bottles of epoxy you may one use once, etc. 

Good luck.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 10:36:42 AM »

If you are in Vancouver and are interested in rod building, get in touch with Russ at Stryker Rods in Surrey. http://www.rodandreel.ca

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 11:13:27 AM »

I have worked on hundreds of rods - here are a few tips to make your first build easier.
 - Practice on a scrap blank/rod section before you attempt working on a new blank
 - use D sized thread for your first few attempts as it is far easier to use than size A
 - clean the area you intend to wrap or the whole new blank with 70% isopropyl alcohol, available from any drug store
 - when mixing your epoxy to finish the wraps (I prefer Threadmaster high build), avoid syringes that have black plastic inserts, like the kind you would find in drug stores.  These often are      treated with silicone for easier use but silicone and epoxy do not get along.  Use syringes that are made for rod building.
 - clean your disposable brushes and mixing containers in hot soapy water before using and dry before using.
- Gooey is right; a good quality turner will save many headaches but a servicable unit can easily be made usuing a barbecue rotisserie motor

Check out rodbuilders.org for everything else you need to know.  Go slow and have fun!

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 06:18:56 PM »

I agree with Dave on the BBQ rotisserie. I use an old motor from an ice cream maker. I do suggest buying buying a rod cradle; once you have it, it is good for life. Bought my rod cradle at Best in Bellingham twenty two years ago.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 07:51:05 PM »

Thanks for all the advice. Im leaning towards taking a class on rod building, just for the first rod, and then it'll give me an idea of where i want to spend the money components wise.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 06:20:02 AM »

Funeral of Hearts...drop me an email, I can help you get components for a good price, do let me know ASAP as I am placing an order soon for two 2106's I am building up!

Trophy Fisher

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 03:15:04 PM »

On the flybc.ca there is a forum section devoted to rod building.