Author Topic: Busted  (Read 3110 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Busted
« on: June 09, 2010, 05:31:46 PM »

A better punishment would be to make them consume all of the harvest if they still don't believe the contamination. ;)

http://www.bclocalnews.com/surrey_area/peacearchnews/news/95066249.html

mattyo

Re: Busted
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 06:59:28 PM »

:o.The terrible thing is that me thinks they weren't themselves going to eat them, but they would make some "tasty"clam chowder served at a restaurant. Where on the net would one find a follow up on convictions, fines or seizures??

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 07:25:32 PM »

:o.The terrible thing is that me thinks they weren't themselves going to eat them, but they would make some "tasty"clam chowder served at a restaurant. Where on the net would one find a follow up on convictions, fines or seizures??

The guy that was busted with 500 LBs in his minivan got 30 days in jail when he said he coulnd't afford the $10k.  They also took his van.  Those were destined for a restuaurant apparently.

This time, with only 200 clams between 3 people I'd guess more likely it was for their own consumption.  200 clams is a lot for three people but if you were going to get enough to sell at a restaurant you'd think they'd aim a lot higher. 

243Pete

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 01:00:55 AM »

The guy that was busted with 500 LBs in his minivan got 30 days in jail when he said he coulnd't afford the $10k.  They also took his van.  Those were destined for a restuaurant apparently.

This time, with only 200 clams between 3 people I'd guess more likely it was for their own consumption.  200 clams is a lot for three people but if you were going to get enough to sell at a restaurant you'd think they'd aim a lot higher. 

200 clams may not seem like a lot but if you average 20 per plate... still got more than 10 servings. My question would be what restaurant would these women be working for? :-\

Fines should he harsher for acts like this since to them it seems like such a minor inconvenience. It should be doubled if not tripled if they are serving it to the public.... imagine if you found out later you had shellfish poisoning from eating at an establishment? I'd be furious and send them my damn hospital bill.... >:(

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 01:03:48 AM »

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA  :-* Hopefully 200 clams cost them 10 grand and a van like the other guy  :o

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 02:48:38 PM »

200 clams may not seem like a lot but if you average 20 per plate... still got more than 10 servings.

You honestly think people are going to risk being fined thousands and losing their vehicle for 10 servings of clam at even $10 a serving in profit (on the high end)?  Come on...

mattyo

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 03:53:22 PM »

You honestly think people are going to risk being fined thousands and losing their vehicle for 10 servings of clam at even $10 a serving in profit (on the high end)?  Come on...
What about those who double dip on the Fraser knowing damn well their car, equipment and even boat could be confiscated??  Its all about a lack of enforcement and punishment.

243Pete

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 04:56:15 PM »

It's more of finding a way of getting something for nothing. It's only an example and who knows how long they would stayed collecting clams, 2-3 hours while the tide is low enough since the weather and tides are getting longer so who knows how many clams they could have collected that day.
I believe they know the rules... and if they didn't then it's failure apon their part to find out the regulations set for the area. After all we got government sites and local shops that tell you all you need when you ask.

243Pete

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 05:02:21 PM »

What about those who double dip on the Fraser knowing damn well their car, equipment and even boat could be confiscated??  Its all about a lack of enforcement and punishment.

Exactly! Lack of enforcement and punishment. This is why it would be nice if we could all help law enforcement by contacting them if we see anything illegal.