Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly fishing in Punta Cana?  (Read 2263 times)

rhino

• Old Timer
fly fishing in Punta Cana?
« on: May 21, 2010, 01:22:18 PM »

Im making a trip down for a wedding to Punta Cana May 29th. ;D ;D  Im gona bring my 8wt. Anyone done this before? Any suggestions or advice is mucho appreciated!

Thanks,
Rhino.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: fly fishing in Punta Cana?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 01:53:41 PM »

i've never done it before, but when i was in Mazatlan a few years back, i saw a gentleman spey casting off a sandy beach...it was quite the site because he was in shorts waist deep and as a few tourists started taking pictures, he managed to hook onto a small school of skipjacks breaking the surface about 20 yards from the shore...in hind sight, i should have taken pictures, but being from BC.. seeing a fisher spey casting was something i was already accustomed to. ::)

cohojoe

Re: fly fishing in Punta Cana?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 06:14:54 PM »

I was shore casting small spoons in Playa Blanca Costa Rica ( far north beaches )   You would not believe how successful the locals were with their Acme Kastmaster  needlefish lures.    They also tipped the hook with a white hootchie.     So maybe some white flies that look like needle fish,  and maybe some crab larvae flies.     Remember to wear some kind of life jacket ,  waist belt,   SOS suspenders.    Every year the locals get a laugh when tourists are sucked out to sea and struggle against  the rip tide.   Unfortunately some do not make it back.    I looked wierd with my life jacket on but I wanted to live another day for fishing.