Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good type of Rod Holder for aluminum boat?  (Read 1755 times)

Dr. Backlash

Good type of Rod Holder for aluminum boat?
« on: May 19, 2010, 07:01:39 PM »

Hi, I recently purchased a 14Ft aluminum that I'm planning on taking out on the tidal Fraser for the next few years, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a decent type of rod holders to buy?  I'm thinking something by Scotty is probably a good bet, and they're a local BC company (Victoria) and I love to support BC based companies.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

joska

• Old Timer
Re: Good type of Rod Holder for aluminum boat?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 08:03:30 PM »

scotty have some great products, the orca rod holders are great.. gonna make some rod holders for sturgeon (shore)... i like the quick release aspect, its fast and easy... make sure you use stainless steel hardware when installing  the mounts on your boat... i have seen many people come back and complain that there bolts have rusted out after there first season...  is is not worth cutting that corner... hope i could help take it easy
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 08:22:29 PM »

Scotty is the only way to go.  THey have mounts which accept other things such as crab trap pulleys (which help keep the line away from the boat, and make it super easy to pull), anchor pulleys, and beverage holders.  Not to mention the rod holders.  Buy 6 mounts, mount them all over your boat, they take up no space at all, then you have the freedom to move your rods or your anchors, or your beverage wherever you want.  I have a 10 foot boat with 6 mounts.  My buddy has a 12 foot with 8 mounts.  IF you only put 2 mounts in your boat, then you are forced to always have your rod in that exact spot.  If you decide to sit facing the other way your rod will now be at your back.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 08:31:15 PM »

stainless steel hardware and get at least 6 rod holders - great advice guys, thanks!!

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 09:10:49 PM »

the beverage shouldnt be in a holder thats how they get warm... ::)
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!