Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eating stocked rainbow trout  (Read 14809 times)

bklem

Eating stocked rainbow trout
« on: April 19, 2010, 11:24:56 PM »

Are you sure it is Como Lake you are refering? I don't think Como has mud puddles like Green Timber.

mud puddle, goose poo pit, same deal.  im talking about como lake in coquitlam

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 01:22:28 PM »

Como Lake is much more dirtier than Deer Lake.  I remember fishing at Como Lake as a kid and I saw tons of duck/bird poop floating on the water. I ate about a dozen rainbow trout caught at Deer Lake in my lifetime.  I am still alive.

Nutterbug

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 02:38:53 PM »

Would it be unhygienic to make sashimi/sushi out of fish pulled out of bird poop puddles?

Cook the fish thoroughly and you should be alright regardless.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 04:45:22 PM »

Would it be unhygienic to make sashimi/sushi out of fish pulled out of bird poop puddles?

hygenic refers to cleanliness.

However,  if you're asking: can you make sushi out of the fish?
Yes you can (why? I don't know) but it would be in your best interest (and those eating it) for it to be completley frozen before consumption.
This goes for fresh caught salmon and basically anything else. (there are parasites besides those in the government that lurk and wait)
If you go to a sushi restaurant  and eat,  that fish was previously frozen (it's the law) I don't care what they tell you.
If it wasn't previously frozen they're violating the health code.
Nothing wrong with fresh frozen fish.
If you must: slice your sushimi pieces, place on some waxed paper,  place in the freezer and it`ll freeze in under 10 minutes.

mattyo

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 05:51:13 PM »

Freezing it for 10 minutes wil not do a thing as far as parasites or bacteria is concerned. 

IamCanadian

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 07:00:46 PM »

Cook the fish thoroughly and you should be alright regardless.

I would suggest you to not make sashimi from the fish you caught unless you have an industrial freezer. Although I could not find the regulations for it for Canada, a friend who opens Japanese restaurant in downtown told us that for a fish to be eaten raw, it must be frozen at under -30 Celsius before consuming. I know in the states under their FDA regulations they look for parasite destruction guarantee, which is accomplished by 'freezing and storing seafood at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 24 hours' which is sufficient to kill parasites. I highly doubt many restaurants do this in Vancouver though.

OH and for anyone who eats the salmon sashimi from Yokohama in Steveston...DONT DO IT! The owner buys it straight from T&T supermarket!!!!

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 07:13:53 AM »

I watched chef micheal smith in p.e.i  they filmed a bluefin tuna caught on rod and reel ,taken to port iced an sold to japan,it was flown to tokyos fish market and auctioned
to a buyer and then cut up and sold to sushi chefs,he went to one of the buyers sushi resteraunt and had it fresh . it was never frozen. canada seems to have much tighter rules than the home of sushi.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 10:56:31 AM »

I would follow the FDA steps for preparing sushi grade fish of any sort.
Don't eat unprepared raw fish.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/GlobalHealth/story?id=7847413&page=1

Nutterbug

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 11:15:11 AM »

Rennie, who specializes in fish dishes, said large tuna varieties such as blue fin, yellow fin and big eye are usually parasite-free. But Rennie said trout, cod and wild small salmon such as sockeye and coho (not king salmon) are prone to parasites.

I'm guessing it's more a problem with freshwater and anadromous fish than it is with saltwater fish.

anorden

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 12:50:29 PM »

Ive eaten raw tuna like 2 mins after pulling out of the sea, didnt seem to be an issue.

I think part of the problem is tuna seems to lose a lot of its texture (quality) once its been frozen. Its hardly the most flavorful fish so it needs as much texture as possible!

StillAqua

Re: Eating stocked rainbow trout
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 05:50:37 PM »

I watched chef micheal smith in p.e.i  they filmed a bluefin tuna caught on rod and reel ,taken to port iced an sold to japan,it was flown to tokyos fish market and auctioned
to a buyer and then cut up and sold to sushi chefs,he went to one of the buyers sushi resteraunt and had it fresh . it was never frozen. canada seems to have much tighter rules than the home of sushi.
The big tunas don't usually have the parasites that salmon, cod and other fish carry (and why they have to be frozen), so it's pretty safe to eat fresh raw tuna although most sushi restaurants get it frozen anyway because it is usually flash frozen at sea for transport. Oddly enough, farmed salmon is usually very low in parasites compared to wild salmon; perhaps its only redeeming feature. Other than that, if it wasn't properly frozen and stored, cook it or take the risk of some nasty worms doing the tango in your gut lining.

Gilbert05

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 04:14:20 PM »

Stocked trout = crab bait

shakespug

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 08:39:04 PM »

I wouldn't eat anything coming out of Como lake. The sight of duck and geese feces just irritates my stomach.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 09:12:58 PM »

Stocked trout = crab bait

x2 if they are under 2lbs.  leave them for someone else to catch.