Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: reel for 8 wt  (Read 2586 times)

square tail

reel for 8 wt
« on: April 03, 2010, 11:18:40 AM »

looking to get a new reel for a 8 wt single hand that may also double for a switch reel and comments on make or size soo many to choose from cheersthanks for the imput  ;)
the tug is the drug

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: reel for 8 wt
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 05:55:10 PM »

A couple of things to consider is whether you want it be a disc drag reel, or a click and pawl style reel. Some individuals go the classic reel route and they get a J.W. Young type reel to put on their rod for instance, and that would be click and pawl style. However, some like to go more modern and you have a wide variety depending on look, disc drag type, color, manufacturer and the list goes on and on. Couple of other things to consider is how much you are willing to spend, under $ 100, or perhaps between $ 100 to $ 300 for a reel. Also, if you plan on putting the reel, on a switch rod, some like to use a basic rule of thumb that the reel should be two sizes up from the weight of the switch rod. For instance if it is a six weight switch rod, you should put on an eight weight size reel to balance out the rod. Just my two cents on the matter.

square tail

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 09:59:13 PM »

thanks for the imput that narows down a lot and helps loads thanks ;D
the tug is the drug

Trophy Fisher

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 10:50:16 AM »

For the money Pflueger Trion is a great buy, the Pflueger  President is also a good reel and has a larger arbor than the Trion. I believe that STS guiding is now using the Pflueger  President reels for there Pitt river adventures, so you know they must be durable. I have 3 Trions and have no regrets in purchasing them, they have super smooth drag and a clean finish. My buddy Tyler recently picked up a Amundson Wind Warrior and loves it. But if you have  the cash my personal favorite reel that I have is my Loop Opti, they are by far the best reels that I have used.

I fully agree with dennyman  on the weight of the reel if your going to switch back and forth between a switch and single hand rod.

That's my 2cents

Trophy Fisher

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 12:11:13 PM »

Second the Trion is a god reel for the money - on sale at Berrys till Sunday or available via ebay for <$100 less the stamps. For an #8 look at the 9/10 which would suit a switch rod in the #6 or #7 range. I have an Echo #6 switch and have found a #10 reel balances it nicely and holds the line with a good amount of backing - even short spey or skagit lines have very thick heads and long running lines so they eat up reel capacity.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.