Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Proposed access restriction at Furry Creek  (Read 9412 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Proposed access restriction at Furry Creek
« on: October 29, 2009, 05:28:36 PM »

If you enjoyed the beach fishery at Furry Creek this past summer, this may interest you. With the information given (start the email dialogue with SLRD, not complaining on the forum about the proposal), take action if you still wish to have the same enjoyment in two years from now.

C&P from FishBC's forum.

I am a resident of Oliver’s Landing, a townhome development at Furry Creek along scenic Howe Sound. I thought that you may be interested in an action underway by our strata council that will impact on the general public, and other fisherpersons in the lower mainland.

Our Strata President, Mr. Richard Bennetts, has lobbied the Squamish Lillooet Regional District (SLRD) to restrict public access to the creek and oceanfront in Furry Creek because the fisherpersons are creating a nuisance, and “we recently experienced an invasion of people from outside the Furry Creek community to fish along our waterfront”. They have requested that the public parking and access to the waterfront be restricted to “residents and guests of the greater community” because “for six weeks the community withstood this invasion of our property and civil rights”. As well, they are lobbying to “close the fishery in East Howe Sound”.

As you can see from the quotes and tone of their discussions and letters to the SLRD, they are attempting to privatize public property for personal gain. All owners in this development were well aware of the public access to and along the foreshore when they purchased into this community, and many support this shared enjoyment of the area. Over the past year or so there has been a splinter group of owners that have been driving the restricting of access to this public amenity, and lobbying for further privatization of the embayment and foreshore in the area. There have also erected misleading and intimidating signage at the areas of public access to discourage the use by non-residents, and have made false statements to the SLRD about the fisherpersons enjoying the area.

I meet and talk with the people visiting our community on a regular basis as I walk my dog often, and in the early mornings when most fishing is taking place. The fisherpersons, divers and families accessing the foreshore and enjoying this public amenity are friendly, respectful and considerate of the local residents. They are being falsely portrayed by the strata president as being a threat to the safety and security of community.

We are hopeful that fisherpersons and the general public will take it upon yourselves to contact the SLRD and let your thoughts and concerns about this infringement on access rights be known. Contact information is as follows;

SLRD Director responsible for this area is Mr. John Turner, johndturner@telus.net

SLRD Chief Administrative Officer is Mr. Paul Edgington, pedgington@slrd.bc.ca

SLRD Board of Directors E Mail address is info@slrd.bc.ca

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Rob Nicholls
54 Beach Drive
Furry Creek, BC, V0N 3Z1
604-896-1954
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 05:30:15 PM by Rodney »

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: Proposed access restriction at Furry Creek
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 06:40:58 PM »

There was a big stink made in the paper a few months ago about scuba divers changing and pissing in the parking lot.

A bunch of rich people with nothing better to do than look out for themselves.

http://www.theprovince.com/peeing+allowed+Kelvin+Grove/1946342/story.html

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 08:13:09 PM »

Scuba divers at Furry?  Sure hope that was a seal I shot  :o

Email sent.  Might want to pass this along to tackle shops as well- they sure rake it in during pink season and they would have a vested interest in keeping the beach open.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 08:21:13 PM by Matt »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 10:33:43 PM »

A bunch of rich people with nothing better to do than look out for themselves.

http://www.theprovince.com/peeing+allowed+Kelvin+Grove/1946342/story.html

Bang on

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »

I was only there a couple of times in the Summer and it wasn't exactly a gong show. Maybe they should just privatize that stretch so they can offer business men a chopper in day of golf and fishing ???

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 08:00:09 AM »

That's not good.  I wonder if the Rob, who wrote the "article", also made a submission to the SLRD.  It might make a difference as a representative of the Strata, though I hope he and others who share his view aren't intimidated or unreasonably pressured by this special interest group within the Strata.  I gotta respect the man for recognizing the public rights to use the beach.  Anyway, thanks for posting this Rod (and Rob).

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 09:23:27 AM »

Everything in Canada is public property  up to the high tide mark so those property owners are SOL.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 12:04:54 PM »

If you have a boat.  Its just access that would be the issue.  Parking is at a premium and at least one way in is over private property (gold course).

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 11:53:01 AM »

I've been asked to post this update.

Although the SLRD has asked for a review of the public access and trespassing issue at Furry Creek (to involve input from all stakeholders) Mr. Richard Bennetts (the strata council President) and resident Bruce Bessie have taken it upon themselves to place two illegal signs directly on the public Right-Of-Way (ROW) access into Furry Creek (pictures attached). Their intent is to keep people out of Furry Creek period, not to ensure visitors use the approved public access paths.

Their signage is illegal and placed directly on the approved public ROW (copy of the ROW as registered with the Land Titles Act attached). The SLRD has recently been advised of this activity. Fisherpersons should not be influenced or intimidated by these signs, and should not consider all residents of Oliver's Landing as being a part of this conspiracy. The vast majority of owners have nothing but good things to say of the fisherpersons and others sharing our spectacular waterfront amenity.

I also have a PDF document on this which for some reason is upside down. If someone is interested in reading it, please feel free to email me at info@fishingwithrod.com and I'll send it to you.

hammer

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 08:21:30 PM »

FM makes an excellent point- that Rob (the resident) recognizes the public right and access to recreational oppurtnity as open to all.  I have met a few people from the golf course and locals who are very friendly. I for one will contact the abve-mentioned people.

Hammer

Nitroholic

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 11:36:13 PM »

well ain't that a fine howdy do

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 03:53:25 PM »

I will be very surprised if they manage to get a public ROW removed based on a couple of sour grapes making some noise.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 04:33:20 PM »

I will be very surprised if they manage to get a public ROW removed based on a couple of sour grapes making some noise.
Agreed!