Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upper Pit River  (Read 9676 times)

nigglesworth

Upper Pit River
« on: October 06, 2009, 06:27:20 AM »

Having moved to Toronto last year ??? ??? ???  I am itching for some good fishing.  I am coming to Vancouver at the end of October and would like to go to the Upper Pit River with a good friend of mine.  I have always wanted to go there!  The plan is to get dropped off at the dock with back packs and spend five days wandering the river, fly fishing and camping.  Has anyone done this?  Is it viable...    Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated!

I am counting the days!

Nigel

whereismyfloat

Re: Upper Pit River
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 07:35:17 AM »

Have you arranged a boat ride to the end of the lake?  Pitt River lodge is about 7 or 8 km from the North end of the lake. Definitely doable if you can get to the end of the lake by boat and get picked up. But it will be tough slugging and its heavy bear country.

Zpg

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 10:53:09 AM »

I have done this same trip several times, however I have boated up the lake with my mountain bike. Wandering the river is difficult as access is often through heavy bush. There is good access at the 5km bridge and again about 3 km past the lodge....a very long hike with gear though.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

Jace

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 05:05:45 PM »

troutbum

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 07:03:11 PM »

the best fishing is 14+ km upstream of the lake. you'll find some coho and the odd cutt and bull.

Hook, Line and Sinker

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 08:40:20 PM »

There's also a very nice set of hotsprings along the Upper Pitt, a bit of a climb down (look for the blue rope) that's perfect for relaxing in after a hard day of fishing.

The downsides are that it's a fair hike from the river mouth (12 km if I recall rightly) and there are very limited spots to camp along the way. If you can afford it, consider staying at the fishing lodge as they will not only pick you up at Grant Narrows Park by boat, but drive you by pickup along the very long logging road and show you the best spots to fish.

Alternatively, you can hire a jet boat to take you upriver and drop you off at an isolated camping spot, but this is controversial, as jetboats disturb the salmon beds, etc. etc.

If you've already got a boat ride scheduled and are intent on wilderness camping, I would suggest what has already been said - bring along a mountain bike because it's a looong walk with gear down that road with very limited shore access till you get several klicks upriver.

Plus correct me if I'm wrong; it's all catch and release on the Upper Pitt?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 04:02:54 PM by Hook, Line and Sinker »

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 01:03:09 AM »

If you can afford it, consider staying at the fishing lodge as they will not only pick you up at Gary Point Park by boat, but drive you by pickup along the very long logging road and show you the best spots to fish.

I'm guessing you meant Grant Narrows Park?

Hook, Line and Sinker

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 04:04:16 PM »

Yeah, fixed it. That's what you get for posting after a few cold ones :)

nigglesworth

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 09:08:55 AM »

Thanks for all the great feedback!

I have looked longingly at the pitt river lodge several times but can not afford the cost at the moment.  I wonder if they would provide transportation (a ride up the road) for a fee???  Otherwise we may have to test our bike/backpack skills in order to spend time on the river.  This lad is in need of sometime amongst the cedars...  fishing or course.

I will have to do a little more research and see if this is viable.

N

Jace

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 03:30:22 PM »

Anyone go up the pitt and try it out recently?

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 03:44:42 PM »

Make sure you are comfortable with bears, while never have been up there personally, I've heard stories of the abundance of bears.  Not something to fret about, just be aware thats all.  Also, make sure you have an idea where to camp first.  Done a couple camping trips off the beaten path where there was literally no where to set up a tent.

Sounds like a very cool trip, post lost of photos.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 03:47:17 PM by Matt »

andrew5

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »

I just found this thread using the search function, and I basically had the same question. I was wondering if anyone has found out any more info on where/if you can charter a ride up the lake, then bike it in (either through the lodge or through another private company).

this trip sounds too good to be denied by transportation, and yes, the lodge is very expensive...

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 01:45:59 PM »

Pitt River Water Taxi
Ask for Earl or Bobbie
Phone: 604.629.9884
Cell: 604.649.2565
Cell: 778.785.1491
email:  bobbie@xplornet.com

iblly

• Old Timer